cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Primary and secondary GPU swapped in Windows 10

Dark_green
Level 7
I´m running two Titan XP´s (driver 391.24) in SLI on a Asus rampage vi extreme (bios 1301)

Currently in the Nvidia control Panel the secondary gpu, which is slotted in PCIE3 is selected
as the primary and the correct primary is the second card. Please see here: https://imgur.com/a/Y7ufN
So now if i connect my DP cable to the secondary gpu the Nvidia control panel is correct.

How do i fix this, since i moved the dp cable to the second card i can no longer access the bios
this means the Asus board sets the primary card correctly.
Is this a Nvidia or Asus issue ? Is there any performance hits if i run sli with only one lcd off the "2nd card"

Any help is appericated.
4 REPLIES 4

mpoffo
Level 10
Dark_green wrote:
I´m running two Titan XP´s (driver 391.24) in SLI on a Asus rampage vi extreme (bios 1301)

Currently in the Nvidia control Panel the secondary gpu, which is slotted in PCIE3 is selected
as the primary and the correct primary is the second card. Please see here: https://imgur.com/a/Y7ufN
So now if i connect my DP cable to the secondary gpu the Nvidia control panel is correct.

How do i fix this, since i moved the dp cable to the second card i can no longer access the bios
this means the Asus board sets the primary card correctly.
Is this a Nvidia or Asus issue ? Is there any performance hits if i run sli with only one lcd off the "2nd card"

Any help is appericated.

It has been this way since the beginning. I am not sure there is a fix for it but perhaps others know better.
RVIE X299 System:
Windows 10 Prof 64-bit | Intel Core i9 7900x | ASUS Rampage VI Extreme | Corsair AX 1200i PSU
Corsair 900D | 32 GB 3200 G.SKILL Trident RGB Series | RTX 3090/EVGA GTX 1080 | Acer X34 Predator Monitor
Samsung 840 PRO 256 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | Intel 520 SATA SSD 240GB HD | 2 & 4 TB WD Black Hard Drive
Creative Sound Blaster Z | Logitech THX 5.1 speaker setup

mpoffo wrote:
It has been this way since the beginning. I am not sure there is a fix for it but perhaps others know better.

Indeed, it's the same with my two 1080s on the x299 prime deluxe since day 1. I've never noticed any issue stemming from it.

mpoffo wrote:

I would love to have a fix for this, sometimes drastic settings in the bios such as adjusting settings that would warrant a reset would cause only the second card to show the POST screen, beyond that it boots as normal (Nvidia CP on my machine too would show the cards swapped)

well i guess i just have to live with it since my gpu 1 (slotted in pcie 1) is the "better card" and i cant even update my drivers with
the cable connected to the second card.

it´s strange since my previous msi board behaved the same way but at least i could update drivers and enter the bios.
my asus rampage v was still working the "old way"