Did you mean: 

Overclocking advice for i9-9980XE + Asus ROG Rampage VI Extreme Omega

Johnnie
Level 10
Dear ROG Community,

On 03.03.2018 i`m updated my PC

CPU: Intel® Core™ i9-9980XE
Motherboard: Asus ROG Rampage VI Extreme Omega
GPU: Asus ROG Poseidon 1080Ti (Will be upgraded for Asus ROG Matrix 2080Ti Sli, when it will become available in Estonia)
RAM: 4 x G.Skill Trident Z RGB DDR4 4600 MHz 2x8GB (F4-4600C18D-16G)
Cooler: ROG Ryujin 360
Storage: Samsung SSD 970 PRO NVMe M.2 PCIe 1TB
PSU: Corsair AX1500i
PC Case: be quiet! Dark Base 700

My results are very poor with stock configuration:
https://www.3dmark.com/spy/6460782 - Time Spy Extreme
https://www.3dmark.com/spy/6460658 - Time Spy

My PC purpose is only for gaming. I`m really need good advice from professionals, how to OC my rig for daily gaming. I don`t want to break records, but i want to get from my rig as much as it possible, but its need to be very stable and not over-stressed. Mates, please help me.

For example 07.03.2019 i tried to use XMP profile. Even on 3500MHz for RAM, PC doens`t boot at all 😞

P.S If i made wrong new thread, i`m very sorry for that.
24 REPLIES 24

Johnnie
Level 10
Hi Mates,

Arne, once more again, thank You! Then i will try it too 🙂
I hope Mates will help me! Very waiting for Yours replies 😄

Best regards,
Johnnie

Johnnie
Level 10
Hi Mates,

I'm hope You are all great!

A little bit update of my OC. I tried auto OC. Result are now 4.5 GHz on all cores. Ram now @ 3200MHz. Realbench score 223000. Stress test at Realbench 15 min was good. Temperature up to 110 C. Time Spy cpu score 12000. So, not really good. One good news that im waiting for G.Skill Quad kit 4266 MHz that will become avaiable durning March. So im really waiting Your professional advices about OC my RIG. My wish to achive 4.5GHz stable configuration. Anyone knows why in top 100 my CPU score in Time Spy is average about 20000, how i can achive it?

Best regards,
Johnnie

Abaidor
Level 9
My guess is that if you are hitting 110C there is certainly thermal throttling going on reducing your clocks. Hence lower scores.

There is no way to reduce temps on 9980XE unless you delid after of course having optimized all the voltages and used the best possible cooling...In any case @ 4.5 the CPU produces so much heat that I doubt you will be able to cool it efficiently with the IHS + Solder..

Try optimizing voltages (lowest possible) first and cooling...I just saw that you are using an AIO (ROG Ryujin 360) ---- no way it can cope with the heat load..you need a custom loop for that.
Asus Rampage VI Extreme | i9-7940X | 64GB Trident Z RGB 3600 | Asus Strix 1080Ti OC | Samsung 960 Pro 512GB | WD Gold 10TB | WD Red 4TB X 2 | PSU Corsair AX1500i | Custom Water Loop - RAD MO-RA3 420 Pro | EK Monoblock | Phanteks GPU Block | Heatkiller 200 Tube RES | EK Dual D5 Revo Pumps | 9 X Corsair ML 140 Pro Fans on RAD | | Bitspower Fittings Black Chrome | Cooler Master Cosmos 2 Modded Case | Silent WIngs 3 120mm Intake |

Johnnie
Level 10
Dear Abaidor,

Thank You very much for reply!

About Custom loop:
For me, custom water loop is very difficult thing 😄 Iˇm very afraid of it, because local, i don`t have opportunity to go to PC shop, and grab all pipes, pumps, blocks and etc. So it`s means, that i need to make finest blueprint of custom loop and order it. After that i need to fit it all. I don`t have experience in this at all. But honestly, some time i will make this step too 🙂 Because it`s very interesting for me.

About scores:
Really for me doesn`t mater so much. Just was interesting, how users get from this CPU - 20000+ CPU score 😄

About temperature:
Now, even with max temperature of 110C (Livedash shows 98C), at stress test PC is very stable. Internet this CPU reviews gives one advice, that for 24/7 OC, best frequency is 4.2GHz. But there is no guide, what parameters i need to clock 😞
Before this CPU, i has got i7-6950X + Rampage V 10th Edition + Corsair H150i Pro + Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB 3333 MHz CL14 (Two kits - bad choice). With Der8auer OC Guide for this CPU, i got stable 4000 MHz PC with max temperature in stress test - 70 C. Memory was OC to 3000 MHz.

About deliding:
It is very hard to delid 9980XE. Internet says, that 9980XE it is same, as 7980X delided. It is true? So its very scary, to brick CPU that costs 2200 EUR 😄

About OC Guide:
Maybe Abaidor You can please give me basic advice, what parameters i need to clock? And then i possibly can play with them 🙂

About G.Skill DDR Quad Channel KIT:
Wholesaler asks, to make request at the end of April 😞 Until then, this kit is not available to order 😞

P.S. Sorry Mates for my English.

Best regards,
Johnnie

Abaidor
Level 9
Delidding a 9980XE is indeed really hard and you can damage it so this is out of the question....

The only other way to improve it is better cooling and/or higher voltages...I would start with voltages given your answer and for watercooling if you interested start reading and ask for advice...no need to rush..

But do not stress the CPU with such high temps or you could damage it...98-110C is not a safe range.
Finally a delided 7980XE with Liquid Metal will be cooler that the 9980XE but forget this and focus on optimizing with what you have...things can get much better than what you get.

Now regarding my advice I am not any expert but start reading! There are several threads here and overclock.net with information to get you started.

There are a lot of options to check and it is better to see the guides / BIOS screenshots.
Asus Rampage VI Extreme | i9-7940X | 64GB Trident Z RGB 3600 | Asus Strix 1080Ti OC | Samsung 960 Pro 512GB | WD Gold 10TB | WD Red 4TB X 2 | PSU Corsair AX1500i | Custom Water Loop - RAD MO-RA3 420 Pro | EK Monoblock | Phanteks GPU Block | Heatkiller 200 Tube RES | EK Dual D5 Revo Pumps | 9 X Corsair ML 140 Pro Fans on RAD | | Bitspower Fittings Black Chrome | Cooler Master Cosmos 2 Modded Case | Silent WIngs 3 120mm Intake |

Johnnie
Level 10
Dear Abaidor,

Thank You very much for such a fast reply!

About watercooling i think iˇm really need to buy some kind of starter kit, and then try without the rush modify it 🙂

I could try with voltages, but i want that someone give basic numbers, from what i need to start. Because there is really a lot of options to check 😞 Maybe i can try same config, as for 6950X? Only make it 4.2GHz and play with Voltage options, to take away the heat?

And about OC that i have now. In idle temp is about 38-40C. And durning Time Spy benchmark, its goes up to 60C. So i think this is not so bad?

Best regards,
Johnnie

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Hi Johnnie

Can I ask what your ambient temp is? Your idle temp seems high to me...are you sure the cooler is mounted well, not too much paste etc.

The easiest way to OC...would be to pick a multiplier that you know those CPUs can get to on average...4.2...4.3...set that in BIOS and see what auto sets for voltage.
Then try and reduce that voltage. If you have a good CPU sample you'll be able to reduce voltage (until you encounter instability) and this will give you an idea of whether you can increase multiplier etc.

Or...set a manual voltage...and slowly increase multiplier..until temps or instability cause problems.

But I would look at your cooling first and foremost...those CPUs...as many Inlet CPUs, should idle at about 30 degrees in a normal room temp I believe.

EK make some decent kits for first time forays into water cooling...or a bit of study and you can pick out parts to make your own loop. Really to OC these monster CPUs good water-cooling is almost a must

Johnnie
Level 10
Hi Arne,

My Ambient temperature is about 25C. Unfortunately PC putted near radiator that heat room. But idle 38-40C it`s with OC CPU - 4.5GHz @ all cores 🙂
So I`m really hope, that cooler is mounted well, and i used preapplied paste. Without OC, it was above 30C.
So, i need to activate XMP, make my multiplier 42 and offset 100 (because i want get 4.2GHz), make stress test and then tune voltage?

Best regards,
Johnnie

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
The OC for the CPU should not make more than 2 or 3 degrees difference to idle temps...but if the PC is next to a radiator maybe temp inside the PC is higher than the room in general. Not ideal for OCing!

What RAM are you using at the moment? Still the mixed kits? Or have you used only one kit? I ask because if that is unstable then OCIng the CPU is like building a house on sand...but that's your choice;)

Offset 100?...BCLK?

Johnnie
Level 10
Hi Arne,

Hmm... But if its OC correctly, then should not make more than 2-3C difference, am i right?
Yes i know, but its only place, when i can fit my PC desk 😄 But at summmer, when radiator doesn`t work, its very nice for PC, because i live on ground floor and walls are cold 😄
Unfortunately mixed kits 😞 @ 3200MHz with 1.45V its works stable 😄 But i`m very hope, that new G.Skill 4266MHz Quad Channel Kit 8x8GB will be available at the end on April, as promised 😄
I`m at work now, but i think yes BCLK, not Offset. Sorry 🙂

Best regards,
Johnnie