cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Encore BIOS 0505 is out

Int8bldr
Level 12
https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-RAMPAGE-VI-EXTREME-encore/HelpDesk_Download/

Looks like they have improved stability. Maybe XMP memory issues are addressed.

from ASUS website:

"ROG RAMPAGE VI EXTREME ENCORE BIOS 0505
01. Improve system performance and stability
Before running the USB BIOS Flashback tool, please rename the BIOS file (R6EE.CAP) using BIOSRenamer"

Edit:
Checked the BIOS module content with UBU. It is the same as in 0504 (same EFI, OROMs for storage, network etc, and same CPU mCodes etc) - the only thing different is the ASUS Board specific BIOS code. that should hopefully address XMP.
27 REPLIES 27

K01D57331 wrote:
I have cold boot issue too. Turn on computer, stops at Memory Detect, hold power button to turn off system, turn system back on, then forced into BIOS by pressing F1, discard changes and exit. After that it boots up fine.

Is that the same issue you have?

It is driving me crazy.

That’s not the same issue I have. It stops at CPU q code 38 and then restarts on its own. Having to press F1 with a memory code suggests a memory problem, perhaps. List your hardware for everyone to review. *
MZ790A Bios 2002, GSkill F5-8000J3848H16GX2-TZRK, 13900KS, EKWB D5 TBE 300, Seasonic Prime TX-1600 ATX 3.0, Asus Strix 4090 w/ Optimus block, Phanteks Enthoo Elite, Asus Claymore 2, Asus Gladius 3, Asus XG349C, Samsung 990, Windows 11 Pro

Hopper64 wrote:
That’s not the same issue I have. It stops at CPU q code 38 and then restarts on its own. Having to press F1 with a memory code suggests a memory problem, perhaps. List your hardware for everyone to review. *

My current memory is Crucial Baslistik BLE8G4D36BEEAK.M8FE1 which is on the approved list. I have tried with Corsair 3200 from approved list and HyperX from approved list with same results. Even at default settings.

Motherboard:
ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore

CPU:
10940x

PSU:
Corsair AX1600i but also had issues with Corsiar AX1200i and Asus ROG 1200w

GPU:
2080Ti x2

Issue:
BIOS 0505 - On cold boot, first start of day or after computer has been turned off the BIOS does not post. It get stuck at DETECT MEMORY. This happens with default settings, XMP settings or if you set the RAM timings manually. I am currently using BLE8G4D36BEEAK.M8FE1 as my RAM and it is listed in the DRAM QVL for this motherboard. I have also tried using Corsair and HyperX RAM that is listed in the same DRAM QVL.

When POST gets stuck at DETECT MEMORY, I hold power button to turn off computer, once turned off I press power button again to turn back, it goes through POST and then a message appears about BIOS did not boot last time so press F1 to enter BIOS. I press F1, select EXIT, select DISCARD CHANGES & EXIT or SAVE CHHANGES & EXIT and then the board reboots fine.

If I select restart in Windows10 it does not have this issue. It is every time at a cold start.

I have tried different power supply, CPU, RAM and video cards. I have tried with 1,2 and 4 sticks of RAM and every combo of hardware has this issue. I have also tried with an external power button, power button on motherboard and jumping the jumpers to turn on board

BIOS 0504 and below
It does not have the cold start issue but once RAM is set to XMP or values changed manually for RAM timings the board freezes up in minutes.

Before I got the ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore, I tried out the ASUS Prime X299 Edition 30 which showed same behavior but I did not troubleshoot that one as much as the Rampage. I returned it and got the Rampage hoping I wouldn't experience the same issues but I have.

scum
Level 7
Been using 505 for a few weeks with no issues at all
Asus Rampage VI Encore • 10980XE @ 5.0 • Trident Z 64GB 3600C15 • Intel 750 1.2TB SSD • 1 x Evga Kingpin 2080 Ti • Custom Water

scum wrote:
Been using 505 for a few weeks with no issues at all

Performance on Cascade Lake-X CPU's is definitely down starting from the 050X Bios Revisions. I can only guess it's the new microcode.

CSN7 wrote:
Performance on Cascade Lake-X CPU's is definitely down starting from the 050X Bios Revisions. I can only guess it's the new microcode.

Have you tried with the latest microcode (bios 0505 modded) ?
Sorry for my english 😄

Case: Lian Li A77F
MB: Rampage VI Extreme Encore
CPU: i9 10980XE
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB Royal 4x8Gb @4000 C16
GPU: EVGA RTX 2080ti XC Ultra
PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 1000W
DATA: Samsung 980 Pro
SOUND: Asus Xonar Phoebus

einsindrei
Level 10
@tistou77 where to find the modded bios 0505?

einsindrei wrote:
@tistou77 where to find the modded bios 0505?

In my modded topic 😉
Sorry for my english 😄

Case: Lian Li A77F
MB: Rampage VI Extreme Encore
CPU: i9 10980XE
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB Royal 4x8Gb @4000 C16
GPU: EVGA RTX 2080ti XC Ultra
PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 1000W
DATA: Samsung 980 Pro
SOUND: Asus Xonar Phoebus

tistou77 wrote:
In my modded topic 😉

When I tried to flash this BIOS I got error message saying it was not for my motherboard.

Hopper64
Level 15
2 different MBs causing the same thing. Different memory causes the same problem. Is the IMC on the CPU defective? But you tried another CPU too. Are the correct slots populated on the board? Page 1-5 of the manual.
MZ790A Bios 2002, GSkill F5-8000J3848H16GX2-TZRK, 13900KS, EKWB D5 TBE 300, Seasonic Prime TX-1600 ATX 3.0, Asus Strix 4090 w/ Optimus block, Phanteks Enthoo Elite, Asus Claymore 2, Asus Gladius 3, Asus XG349C, Samsung 990, Windows 11 Pro

Hopper64 wrote:
2 different MBs causing the same thing. Different memory causes the same problem. Is the IMC on the CPU defective? But you tried another CPU too. Are the correct slots populated on the board? Page 1-5 of the manual.

I have not tried a different CPU on this board but I have tried the CPU on a different board and it worked fine. I thought CPU at first too but then I tried it in a different board and it worked fine.

I also had it in a Prime II Deluxe with no issue. My X299 build started out with the Prime II Deluxe which all worked well but then I wanted a nicer board which started these issues 🙂

It has to be the BIOS and the changes from 0504 to 0505. The 30th Anniversary board is very similar to the Encore and had same issues.

I may switch over to 3970x and Zenith Alpha build. I only have until Monday to return board. I know the issue will not be fixed by then but I am worried it will never be fixed the way Asus tech support handled my call. I almost am willing to live with this issue for now since this system is so nice every other way but since I invested so much into system it is kind of hard to just suck it up but I may have finally got my hands on a 10980xe.

Such first world problems 🙂

Yes, memory slots are correct.