Level 13
New bios for Rampage VI Extreme

ROG RAMPAGE VI EXTREME BIOS 3006
Improve system performance and stability
Improve DRAM stability
Update RC code for new CPU
Update ME FW
Update IRST and RSTe driver
Fix AURA issue when using Intel thunderbolt devices.
Fix some M.2 device detect issue
Sorry for my english 😄

Case: Lian Li A77F
MB: Rampage VI Extreme Encore
CPU: i9 10980XE
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB Royal 4x8Gb @4000 C16
GPU: EVGA RTX 2080ti XC Ultra
PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 1000W
DATA: Samsung 980 Pro
SOUND: Asus Xonar Phoebus
74 REPLIES 74

Nice one bro, alright for some lol my pc was running fine until i updated bios 3006 now i cant seem to put it right 😞

newbie2021 wrote:
Nice one bro, alright for some lol my pc was running fine until i updated bios 3006 now i cant seem to put it right 😞

I had a whole whack of issues start in late January or February. I have sorted them all out since, but before going into detail, it is strange that going back to the earlier BIOS did not fix the temperature issue--because others with the same problem (me too) had the problem go away when they went back to the old BIOS.

It sounds like there is a new issue unrelated to the BIOS now. It makes sense that any new issue would have to do with something you did. However, my computer was getting blue screens until using the Windows refresh tool to reinstall Windows. But after that, my system was suddenly restarting at times--but that issue was fixed with the latest chipset driver.

Is your motherboard an Omega version?

My Motherboard is a rog strix x299 E-gaming, last night, I Unplugged the power cable, and removed the battery from the motherboard for 60 seconds while holding the power button for 60 seconds witch i read resets the bios to factory settings, then i put the battery back in place on the motherboard and connect the power cable and rebooted and enabled the c state in cpu config, and went into q-fan and turned cpu fan from stable to turbo speed, and noticed my temps are between 48 Celsius and 60 Celsius while playing music and browsing the internet, when i play a game my temp is 70 Celsius, so i can only assume since the resetting of the bios and turning my cpu fan to turbo, that my temps are a lot better, i will apply the thermal paste tomorrow and report back with my temps.

So, through testing, I confirmed that the C state thing seems to be unrelated to speed shift not working correctly. With the C states configured that way it does drop the ratio on cores, but the threshold to do that is significantly lower than what speedshift should be working at based on how my CPU used to work. Asus "engineers" have also not suggested doing anything with C states and in our latest correspondence I specifically mentioned that messing with them seemed to produce some effect, they did not even reply to this part of my video that I sent to them so I assume they thought it was unrelated or not relevant.

What they did say is that speed shift is not working because I'm in "sync all cores" mode, note it also doesn't work in by specific core, but whatever. They said it works in auto. Except it also doesn't and in auto my CPU doesn't go UP to its rated clock speeds, I have a 7820X and in auto it only goes up to 4.1~, even on relatively single-threaded workloads. The auto setting is completely irrelevant though because as I said before I ran by specific core just fine before this bios version and speedshift worked in that configuration, which it doesn't now.

I am also noticing higher temps in by specific core, which is the reason why I'm in sync all cores now, but I haven't had enough time to dig into why the by specific core temps are so much hotter.

Also, my latest correspondence included this gem:

"The frequency of light cannot be determined."

That's all the context that was given, so if anyone has any idea what that means, feel free to clue me in. I'm getting very frustrated by asus on this one, my motherboard has no way to revert its bios without RMAing and we're in the middle of a quarantine in which I need this computer to work from home.

I also showed them this thread and they said it's not relevant because the X299 Mark Tuf 1 (not my motherboard, note, I have a mark 2) is not the same as the X299 Rampage VI. Yes, I understand they are right, they are slightly different motherboards, but the fact that they're both X299 and both running the same bios version makes it pretty clear they're extremely similar.

For the record, the frequency of light can absolutely be determined, that's literally what we see as color.

restsugavan
Level 13
It's maybe coming from new method of Intel Turbo Boost Max 3.0 all mates. Since Intel discovered that Intel Turbo Boost Max 3.0 app
cause some vulnerable to its CPU series here https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/security-center/advisory/intel-sa-00243.html.

Intel and Microsoft agreement to bring its next revision of Intel Turbo Boost Max 3.0 app inside Windows OS kernel as service process.
When you use new Windows Version such as 1909 or 2004. It'll auto overclock to what Intel recommended speed of each CPU SKUs.
Just like my 7980XE will be automatic running at max turbo boost 2.0 and 3.0 ( 4.2GHz and 4.4GHz ) as picture belows.

The OS does it even we choose F5 Load Optimized Default via BIOS. I'd report to Microsoft last week. They'd fixing these
via lastest build 19628.1 today. They'll update to normal Windows soon. :cool:

W11CANARY 26200.5001 Core i9 7980XE 02007108 MCE ME 11.12.95.2499 R6E Modified BIOS 3801 SAMSUNG OG9 FW 1019.0 SSD 970 EVO PLUS 1 TB x 3 NVIDIA RTX 4090 GAME READY 552.22 64GB GSKILL DDR4 3200MHz JBL 9.1 Sound Bar DTS-X

restsugavan wrote:
It's maybe coming from new method of Intel Turbo Boost Max 3.0 all mates. Since Intel discovered that Intel Turbo Boost Max 3.0 app
cause some vulnerable to its CPU series here https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/security-center/advisory/intel-sa-00243.html.

Intel and Microsoft agreement to bring its next revision of Intel Turbo Boost Max 3.0 app inside Windows OS kernel as service process.
When you use new Windows Version such as 1909 or 2004. It'll auto overclock to what Intel recommended speed of each CPU SKUs.
Just like my 7980XE will be automatic running at max turbo boost 2.0 and 3.0 ( 4.2GHz and 4.4GHz ) as picture belows.

The OS does it even we choose F5 Load Optimized Default via BIOS. I'd report to Microsoft last week. They'd fixing these
via lastest build 19628.1 today. They'll update to normal Windows soon. :cool:

I'm on 1909 18363.836 and when setting to optimized defaults my CPU never went above 4.0, so unless it's not in this build then I think there's something wrong.

Question for you though, when you go into services.msc do you see the intel turbo boost 3.0 service? Is it running. Additionally, in details of task manager, do you see itbmsys or in device manager the intel turbo boost 3.0 driver? In the other thread about removing the ITBM there are people recommending deleting the service, so I'm somewhat confused.

In other news, I played around with manual voltage a lot and noticed auto was applying way more than the required amount of voltage for any load, in one case a core was at 1.219 in auto with a ratio of 43, when on manual 1.115 (all core) I can get stable at a ratio of 44, provided I use avx offsets to low my avx ratio to 40.

EDIT: I'm actually in the insider program but had insider builds disabled, I've signed up so I can test newer builds but I'm out of time to test tonight.

tistou77
Level 13
With W10 1909 and 2004 and bios 3006, no ITB service and no ITB device in device manager 😉
Present with bios 2004
Sorry for my english 😄

Case: Lian Li A77F
MB: Rampage VI Extreme Encore
CPU: i9 10980XE
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB Royal 4x8Gb @4000 C16
GPU: EVGA RTX 2080ti XC Ultra
PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 1000W
DATA: Samsung 980 Pro
SOUND: Asus Xonar Phoebus

since first BIOS rev. i enabled native Turbo Boost 3.0 in the BIOS and not Software.
Software sided TB 3.0 was always crap in last Gens

ASUS always set Voltage for 5.0GHz if you OC.
e.g you set allcore 4.7GHz the BIOS will enable the Voltage Table for 5.0GHz.
and thats waaaaaaaaay to much
So i need to reduce voltage up to -0.070 offset.
But i can't go lower, because with Cascade lake adaptive voltage will also decrease idle voltage

idle:

Adaptive voltage -0.070

if i go lower bluescreen due to less voltage in lower Clock states

im actually not sure why ASUS dit that.
anyone can answer that?

I wish we could reduce Turbo Voltage and not just increasing 😕

H-de wrote:
since first BIOS rev. i enabled native Turbo Boost 3.0 in the BIOS and not Software.
Software sided TB 3.0 was always crap in last Gens

ASUS always set Voltage for 5.0GHz if you OC.
e.g you set allcore 4.7GHz the BIOS will enable the Voltage Table for 5.0GHz.
and thats waaaaaaaaay to much
So i need to reduce voltage up to -0.070 offset.
But i can't go lower, because with Cascade lake adaptive voltage will also decrease idle voltage

idle:

Adaptive voltage -0.070

if i go lower bluescreen due to less voltage in lower Clock states

im actually not sure why ASUS dit that.
anyone can answer that?

I wish we could reduce Turbo Voltage and not just increasing 😕

This is the same situation I've found myself in, I want to lower my turbo voltage only, but using an offset makes me unstable at idle, can't even boot into windows with the offset it would need (it's like -0.105 to -0.200 or something).

I've settled for manual voltage for now because speed shift still doesn't seem to be as aggressive as it used to, if it's working at all, so it stays at max clocks most of the time anyway , guess I just eat the increased power at idle.

I'm planning on switching to the next gen ryzen when they come out and moving this cpu over to a server machine, with that on the horizon and all this weirdness I'm getting on this Asus board im having a hard time deciding what motherboard I'm going to go with.

Hey everyone.

Simply opening and closing throttlestop, making zero modifications, seems to completely fix the issue with speedshift for that boot. If you notice some of your cores getting "stuck" on a certain frequency, check the EPP checkbox and change the number a bit then put it back and uncheck it.

My temps are still crazy but I've decided to move on from this problem, I guess I just get stupidly high temps now, even on a nd-h15.