cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just oredered the ASUS HYPER M.2 x16 PCIe Expansion Card

Mavtop
Level 7
So some initial observations without actually holding this device in my hands.... to go with my Rampage VI Extreme board

I will be doing all sorts of testing with this board, including backwards compatibility with my X79 Rampage IV Black Edition, and with the new Rampage VI Extreme

1. I will be testing if raid 0 works for non-intel drives, if bootable or not, and report back to this thread
2. Will be testing speeds at 1, 2, 3, and 4 drives, possibly more depending on when my wife figures out where $1200 a month is going to ssds
3. Will be testing optane modules in 3 and 4 drive raid 0 to see if bootable
4. May try to raid drives from the card to the DIMM.2 slot and see if possible since both should be direct to cpu

5. anything else you guys want me to try I'm down for it. The only thing is time, and lots of money.

6. I also wanted more m.2 slots as I felt like 3 wasn't enough for the Rampage VI Extreme, even at 2TB a piece.

Best,

Mavtop
25 REPLIES 25

Interesting that you got it to work. I set up the ASUS Hyper M.2 x16 card up with two Samsung 960 Pro 512MB M.2 drives and it is only recognizing one of them. The LEDs light up on the card for both drives, but only the first one is recognized by the BIOS.

I also have Samsung 960 PROs on the two motherboard slots and they work fine. But I can't get the BIOS to see more than one of the M.2 drive on the x16 card.

I'm using the Prime X299 Deluxe motherboard.

Can you share your BIOS configuration?

G75rog wrote:
I set my X16 up with 4 960 Pro 2TB drives as individuals so each is running X4 and 8TB on the card.
One 960 Pro 1TB is on a Dimm2 card as boot OS.
All sata drives have been removed with one removable drive bay still connected for odd jobs and secondary OS.
I'm happy with the X16 as it is.

AbrahamK wrote:
Interesting that you got it to work. I set up the ASUS Hyper M.2 x16 card up with two Samsung 960 Pro 512MB M.2 drives and it is only recognizing one of them. The LEDs light up on the card for both drives, but only the first one is recognized by the BIOS.

I also have Samsung 960 PROs on the two motherboard slots and they work fine. But I can't get the BIOS to see more than one of the M.2 drive on the x16 card.

I'm using the Prime X299 Deluxe motherboard.

Can you share your BIOS configuration?

There is a single setting in BIOS under ADVANCED. I don't remember the exact name of it but it is 1/2 down the list. It will show you all four of your PCI-e slots. You have to set the slot your Hyper is in to "Hyper x16 (DATA)" Then that PCI-e slot will be able to use all four drives.
Panteks Enthoo Elite / Asus x299 Rampage VI Extreme / Intel I9-7900X / Corsair Dominator RGB 3200MHz

MSI GTX 1080 TI / 2x Intel 900p / Samsung 970 Pro 512GB

Samsung 850 PRO 512GB / Western Digital Gold 8TB HD

Corsair AX 1200i / Corsair Platinum K95 / Asus Chakram

Acer XB321HK 4k, IPS, G-sync Monitor / Water Cooled / Asus G571JT Laptop

G75rog
Level 10
The setting is CPU Storage for the #3 PCIE slot under Advanced.
A 28 lane CPU will activate the first 2 slots on the X16 while a 44 lane CPU is needed to use all 4 slots.

I have been going down the parts list to make my bootable VRoC RAID to work!

On some board, I saw you needed an ASUS Hyper x16 card and an Intel Key to see my two 2TB Samsung 970 EVO Sticks - No Luck

Got the Intel Key ($110.00) PN: ROCSTANMOD since I wanted just RAID 0 for Boot - and it does see three sticks but not 4

I think I see 3 now because I saw on another board they said to change m.2 from CPU to PCH but I now need one more change to see all 4 Sticks

I worry that if it is this complicated and that I don't have all the settings just right I will blow up my system and not get back to the drives.

One post stated that I needed to set the x16/8_3 slot to 4X4X4X4x however I do not see that under the CPU Storage Configuration!

ByteKnight99 wrote:
I have been going down the parts list to make my bootable VRoC RAID to work!

On some board, I saw you needed an ASUS Hyper x16 card and an Intel Key to see my two 2TB Samsung 970 EVO Sticks - No Luck

Got the Intel Key ($110.00) PN: ROCSTANMOD since I wanted just RAID 0 for Boot - and it does see three sticks but not 4

I think I see 3 now because I saw on another board they said to change m.2 from CPU to PCH but I now need one more change to see all 4 Sticks

I worry that if it is this complicated and that I don't have all the settings just right I will blow up my system and not get back to the drives.

One post stated that I needed to set the x16/8_3 slot to 4X4X4X4x however I do not see that under the CPU Storage Configuration!

I have 2 Samsung 960 pro drives, Asus R6E Board, intel i9 7900x CPU and Hyper M.2 card, if i get ROCSTANMOD key do you think i can make bootable Raid 0 drive?

As i see you are trying to do it with 4 drives, what i am wondering have you tried with 2 drives and what is the result? According this i am going to buy a key or not.

Thanks.

G75rog
Level 10
This has been discussed to death in earlier posts. As the manual states, you need Intel brand drives to make a bootable VROC Raid.