cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just oredered the ASUS HYPER M.2 x16 PCIe Expansion Card

Mavtop
Level 7
So some initial observations without actually holding this device in my hands.... to go with my Rampage VI Extreme board

I will be doing all sorts of testing with this board, including backwards compatibility with my X79 Rampage IV Black Edition, and with the new Rampage VI Extreme

1. I will be testing if raid 0 works for non-intel drives, if bootable or not, and report back to this thread
2. Will be testing speeds at 1, 2, 3, and 4 drives, possibly more depending on when my wife figures out where $1200 a month is going to ssds
3. Will be testing optane modules in 3 and 4 drive raid 0 to see if bootable
4. May try to raid drives from the card to the DIMM.2 slot and see if possible since both should be direct to cpu

5. anything else you guys want me to try I'm down for it. The only thing is time, and lots of money.

6. I also wanted more m.2 slots as I felt like 3 wasn't enough for the Rampage VI Extreme, even at 2TB a piece.

Best,

Mavtop
25 REPLIES 25

afshin
Level 7
i have x99 mainboard , does it works on x99 such as rampage v e10?

Brighttail
Level 11
No it will not work on an x99 board. It will be viewed only as a single x4 drive.

Basically this board is useless if you are wanting to boot from a RAID array as Intel doesn't have any really viable m.2 drives to put in it that will use VROC. It is useful for a place to put extra storage devices and running them in RAID. So if you are moving away from SSD or HDDs and are going full m.2, sure it is useful, but if I could return mine I would.
Panteks Enthoo Elite / Asus x299 Rampage VI Extreme / Intel I9-7900X / Corsair Dominator RGB 3200MHz

MSI GTX 1080 TI / 2x Intel 900p / Samsung 970 Pro 512GB

Samsung 850 PRO 512GB / Western Digital Gold 8TB HD

Corsair AX 1200i / Corsair Platinum K95 / Asus Chakram

Acer XB321HK 4k, IPS, G-sync Monitor / Water Cooled / Asus G571JT Laptop

Brighttail wrote:
No it will not work on an x99 board. It will be viewed only as a single x4 drive.

Basically this board is useless if you are wanting to boot from a RAID array as Intel doesn't have any really viable m.2 drives to put in it that will use VROC. It is useful for a place to put extra storage devices and running them in RAID. So if you are moving away from SSD or HDDs and are going full m.2, sure it is useful, but if I could return mine I would.

i dont want raid but i need more slot for using m.2 . x99 has one m.2 slot and its bad. so can i buy Hyper m.2 x16 and install 2 m.2 drive on it ? and use m.2 slot of mainboard too?

afshin wrote:
i dont want raid but i need more slot for using m.2 . x99 has one m.2 slot and its bad. so can i buy Hyper m.2 x16 and install 2 m.2 drive on it ? and use m.2 slot of mainboard too?

On an X99 motherboard, those pci-e slots do not have the capability of seeing more than one object per slot. I had the R5E10 while waiting for the R6E and put in 3 drives into the Hyper and put it into a x16 drive. Windows and BIOS could only see ONE m.2 drive. There is no place in the BIOS to choose the PCI-e slot to be a normal slot, a VROC slot or in this case a x16 data slot.

Your best bet is to get single x4 Pci-e cards and use two of them in two slots.

@charlieH I also believe you did that on an x299 motherboard. He wants to do it on an x99 board.
Panteks Enthoo Elite / Asus x299 Rampage VI Extreme / Intel I9-7900X / Corsair Dominator RGB 3200MHz

Brighttail wrote:

Not true I booted 4x Intel 900Ps in RAID 0 with the M.2 converter. I also ran 2x of these cards RAID 0 with 8x intel 900ps but you can't boot it because it spans 2 VMCs.

CharlieH wrote:
Not true I booted 4x Intel 900Ps in RAID 0 with the M.2 converter. I also ran 2x of these cards RAID 0 with 8x intel 900ps but you can't boot it because it spans 2 VMCs.

Did you do this on an X99?

Charlie what you are missing here is people are not expecting to rip the top (heatsink) off of a card, unplug the fan and throw it in the trash then have U2-M2 cables in a gnarly mess all up in their machine to run 2.5 inch U2 drives with M2 converters on a card meant for M2 form factor. There is no arguing the point that this card was meant for X299, spec'd for X299 and as marketed should be able to run M2 drives in VROC passthrough with no key or raid 0,1,5 and 10 with the intel SSD only key. Problem is there are no supported intel M2 drives. The only thing that will go in the slots as designed either isnt supported or is small capacity cache that is being used out of its specified purpose and still not supported.

My opinion.....
DONT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THE HYPER M2 X16 CARD AS IT WILL NOT DO AS IT IS SPECIFIED AND MARKETED. MASSIVE WASTE OF YOUR MONEY. Unless you want to do as Charlie has done and install 2.5 inch U2 drives with M2 adaptors, throw away half of the card and have the a mess of cables all up in your machine.

Also FYI it will boot when spanned across multiple Controllers, Im typing on a system doing just that now!

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

afshin
Level 7
i really thanks for helping me

Brighttail
Level 11
I'm good with using it if you have many m.2s that you want to run in RAID 0,1,5, 10 that are a non-boot drive. Other than that it is pretty useless.

G75rog
Level 10
I set my X16 up with 4 960 Pro 2TB drives as individuals so each is running X4 and 8TB on the card.
One 960 Pro 1TB is on a Dimm2 card as boot OS.
All sata drives have been removed with one removable drive bay still connected for odd jobs and secondary OS.
I'm happy with the X16 as it is.

G75rog wrote:
I set my X16 up with 4 960 Pro 2TB drives as individuals so each is running X4 and 8TB on the card.
One 960 Pro 1TB is on a Dimm2 card as boot OS.
All sata drives have been removed with one removable drive bay still connected for odd jobs and secondary OS.
I'm happy with the X16 as it is.

That is pretty much the main usage for this card like how you just explained. You are replacing or subsidizing your current Sata SSDs. I have a Hyper x16 and am using it as a RAID 1 redundant drive for my images and videos and a RAID 0 drive for some of my older games. It is nice to have all in one spot. My sata SSDs therefore can be used for Windows Imaging Backups and such.

My main games and OS is on a intel 900p which is about the best you can get. Should I get a second one or eventually go SLI, THEN i'll have to redo things as I won't have a need for the x16 then. It is a shame I can't just pop it out and put it in my R5E10 machine. 😞