cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm in love

Hopper64
Level 15
https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-MAXIMUS-XI-EXTREME/



OLED, 2 bios chips, beautiful stuff here. I'm thinking with 8 cores it will be much easier to OC.
MZ790A Bios 2002, GSkill F5-8000J3848H16GX2-TZRK, 13900KS, EKWB D5 TBE 300, Seasonic Prime TX-1600 ATX 3.0, Asus Strix 4090 w/ Optimus block, Phanteks Enthoo Elite, Asus Claymore 2, Asus Gladius 3, Asus XG349C, Samsung 990, Windows 11 Pro
402 Views
12 REPLIES 12

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
My favourite this gen is the Formula. Amazing looking board for a hardline build.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone@ASUS wrote:
My favourite this gen is the Formula. Amazing looking board for a hardline build.


It's designed look like ROG RAMPAGE 6 EXTREME isn't it? :cool:
W11CANARY 26217.5000 Core i9 7980XE 02007108 MCE ME 11.12.95.2499 R6E Modified BIOS 3801 SAMSUNG OG9 FW 1019.0 SSD 970 EVO PLUS 1 TB x 3 NVIDIA RTX 4090 GAME READY 552.44 64GB GSKILL DDR4 3200MHz JBL 9.1 Sound Bar DTS-X

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Yep, the design has trickled down to the Formula, and it makes sense given the water cooling features.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

xarot
Level 11
Formula looks good. However I really don't understand why the waterblock was not added to Rampage VI series as default option where it was most needed, instead they add it to mainstream motherboards..
Main: i9-10980XE - Rampage VI Extreme Encore - 64 GB G.Skill Trident Z Royal 3600 CL16 - Strix RTX 3090 - Phanteks Enthoo Primo - Corsair AX1500i - Samsung 960 PRO 1 TB + Intel 600P 1TB - Water cooling
HTPC: i7-6950X - X99-M WS - 32 GB G.Skill RipjawsV DDR4-2400 - GTX1050TI - Bitfenix Pandora - Corsair AX860 - Intel 750 400 GB + Samsung 1 TB 850 EVO
All around: i9-7980XE - Rampage VI Extreme - 64 GB G.Skill 4000 CL18-19-19-39 - Strix RTX3090 - Phanteks P500A - Samsung 960 EVO 512 GB - Water cooling

xarot wrote:
Formula looks good. However I really don't understand why the water block was not added to Rampage VI series as default option where it was most needed, instead they add it to mainstream motherboards..



It's not really a feature born out of necessity. For instance, with the Rampage series and extreme overclocking, active cooling with a fan is sufficient. It fits that niche, rather than burdening overclockers with a waterblock they may well not use.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone@ASUS wrote:
It's not really a feature born out of necessity. For instance, with the Rampage series and extreme overclocking, active cooling with a fan is sufficient. It fits that niche, rather than burdening overclockers with a waterblock they may well not use.


Well you see the issue with the Rampage VI is that most people bought the EK Monoblock so the stock cooling is removed (and the fan is ugly along with its mounting system) and this leads to other problems. The most important issue is that when people delid the IHS on the CPU is lowered (after removing some gasket / glue) and then the monoblock might be at an angle with the VRMs and not making perfect contact. It might or might not be corrected with thinner thermal pads on the VRMs (under the monoblock) or then you have to buy a dedicated VRM monoblock for this board (watercool makes one) and also get a dedicated CPU block. This returns us to square one! Should Asus have included a waterblock for the VRMs we could avoid all this and get a dedicated CPU block and achieve better results without all the hassle.

So next time please consider adding a waterblock for the VRMs if only for the better looks of it because attaching an ugly small noisy fan (prone to breaking too) is not ideal for a board that costs that much..

Just a suggestion.
Asus Rampage VI Extreme | i9-7940X | 64GB Trident Z RGB 3600 | Asus Strix 1080Ti OC | Samsung 960 Pro 512GB | WD Gold 10TB | WD Red 4TB X 2 | PSU Corsair AX1500i | Custom Water Loop - RAD MO-RA3 420 Pro | EK Monoblock | Phanteks GPU Block | Heatkiller 200 Tube RES | EK Dual D5 Revo Pumps | 9 X Corsair ML 140 Pro Fans on RAD | | Bitspower Fittings Black Chrome | Cooler Master Cosmos 2 Modded Case | Silent WIngs 3 120mm Intake |

Abaidor wrote:
Well you see the issue with the Rampage VI is that most people bought the EK Monoblock so the stock cooling is removed (and the fan is ugly along with its mounting system) and this leads to other problems. The most important issue is that when people delid the IHS on the CPU is lowered (after removing some gasket / glue) and then the monoblock might be at an angle with the VRMs and not making perfect contact. It might or might not be corrected with thinner thermal pads on the VRMs (under the monoblock) or then you have to buy a dedicated VRM monoblock for this board (watercool makes one) and also get a dedicated CPU block. This returns us to square one! Should Asus have included a waterblock for the VRMs we could avoid all this and get a dedicated CPU block and achieve better results without all the hassle.

So next time please consider adding a waterblock for the VRMs if only for the better looks of it because attaching an ugly small noisy fan (prone to breaking too) is not ideal for a board that costs that much..

Just a suggestion.


On a personal note, that's noted. It can depend on the platform, however. The Extreme is jam-packed with features which means there isn't a great deal of wriggle room.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone@ASUS wrote:
On a personal note, that's noted. It can depend on the platform, however. The Extreme is jam-packed with features which means there isn't a great deal of wriggle room.


🙂 Sure features are nothing sort of amazing on this board and it looks like I am using lots of them but that was the reason i got it in the first place. I had some issues with Aura (working but losing sync from time to time) that is now working much better and improving and of course Fan Expert 4 that never worked for me. Q-Fan in the BIOS saved the day though and works like a charm for 17 Fans + 2 Pumps I have. I just hope that Asus works on improving its software a bit since many people complain and the general consensus tends to become "Asus has great hardware but software leaves a lot to be desired...." Not that the other manufacturers are great but Asus is supposed to be the premium provider in this industry.....and the most expensive.
Asus Rampage VI Extreme | i9-7940X | 64GB Trident Z RGB 3600 | Asus Strix 1080Ti OC | Samsung 960 Pro 512GB | WD Gold 10TB | WD Red 4TB X 2 | PSU Corsair AX1500i | Custom Water Loop - RAD MO-RA3 420 Pro | EK Monoblock | Phanteks GPU Block | Heatkiller 200 Tube RES | EK Dual D5 Revo Pumps | 9 X Corsair ML 140 Pro Fans on RAD | | Bitspower Fittings Black Chrome | Cooler Master Cosmos 2 Modded Case | Silent WIngs 3 120mm Intake |

panzlock
Level 12
I thought this was a thread about hamburgers.
I'd like to deploy my troops in her country.