cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help w/ OC Settings - ROG STRIX X299-XE GAMING

par02
Level 8
So it's actually been years since I fiddled with voltages etc. I just upgraded my Z170 build and would like to see if I could get a stable OC but the BIOS Tuning Wizard is weird, the AI Suite 3 thing is weird and I honestly don't think I could set my values safely enough. Could I bother some of you experts in assisting me with a decent, yet safe, overclock?

Here's my setup:
Asus ROG STRIX X299-XE GAMING
Intel Core i7-7820X Processor
(2x) POSEIDON-GTX980TI-P-6GD5
32GB Corsair LPX DDR4 3200

Memory specifics are:
Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 3200 C16
CMK32GX4M4B3200C16W
32GB(8GB*4)
16-18-18-36 1.35V

I have the system water cooled with 3 radiators:
1 EKWB EK-CoolStream XE 360
1 EKWB EK-CoolStream XE 240
1 EKWB EK-CoolStream PE 120

The CPU and VRM's are cooled with an EK-FB ASUS Strix X299-E RGB Monoblock and of course the 980 Ti's are cooled w/ their Poseidon blocks.

I think I am covered w/ cooling but again, I am not comfortable anymore (nor do I have the patience) to test each individual setting for a decent OC and I don't think the "wizards" are really doing anything.

Thanks!
8 REPLIES 8

Menthol
Level 14
Best thing to do is start by reading this guide

https://edgeup.asus.com/2017/x299-motherboard-guide-lga2066/

Go slow, play a little then let us know how things go and any specific help you need.

Is you CPU delidded? makes a big difference in how far you can OC your CPU

par02
Level 8
Interesting information, thank you for the link. I hadn't seen that before. Makes me regret getting the Strix instead of the Rampage but I just couldn't spend twice for the board.

No, I did not delid my CPU nor do I want to. Again, $$ is important and I am not looking to push it a huge amount, just a decently stable amount (if that makes sense).

I have noticed that in all of the wizards (as well as the XMP), when I let the CPU get overclocked I get blue screens like crazy. The RAM is safely at 3200 but whenever i touch the CPU to anything higher than stock, even the BIOS becomes unresponsive. And to clarify, these are all the "auto" or "asus" settings. I haven't touched any of the individual settings myself.

par02 wrote:
Interesting information, thank you for the link. I hadn't seen that before. Makes me regret getting the Strix instead of the Rampage but I just couldn't spend twice for the board.

No, I did not delid my CPU nor do I want to. Again, $$ is important and I am not looking to push it a huge amount, just a decently stable amount (if that makes sense).

I have noticed that in all of the wizards (as well as the XMP), when I let the CPU get overclocked I get blue screens like crazy. The RAM is safely at 3200 but whenever i touch the CPU to anything higher than stock, even the BIOS becomes unresponsive. And to clarify, these are all the "auto" or "asus" settings. I haven't touched any of the individual settings myself.

no diff even if you get a r6e with those rams.*

cpu oc for norm use will be the same for 7820x between strix and r6*

baod....sounds like 512/avx2 offset issue btw ..*

i7 4790k@4.7ghz 1.28v||Asus Maximus VI Extreme||Zotac GTX Titan X Sli||Corsair Dominator Platinum 2400mhz 4x8gb 10-12-12-31-1T||Corsair Neutron GTX 240gb x 2 + Crucial MX100 512gb x 2||Creative Soundblaster Zx||WD Black 2tb & 2x1tb||Ek Supremacy Nickel Acetal+EK M6e Nickel Acetal+EK Titan X Nickel Acetal + Ek Red Backplate+Ek Dual D5 Top & 150 X3 Res+HWLABS GTX Nemesis 560+280+6xNoctua Redux 1500rpm||Corsair AX1200+Corsair Red Sleeves||Silverstone Temjin 11

formula383
Level 7
4.5~4.6 should be easy using adaptive mode for lower idle power consumption or manual mode for direct voltages.
+.125v or 1.325vcore (this should be right... i forget exactly what i was using i know the .125v offset is what i was using this should be good up to 4.7 with out delid ofc you can always try less voltage 1.250vcore should be enough for 4.5ghz.)
+.125v or 1.225vmesh @ 2.7ghz
vccin 2.1v
vccio 1.100v
vccsa .900v
dram voltage at 3200 should be 1.35v This really depends on the dimm's and for yours i am not sure (1.3~1.4volts), make sure you have fan blowing on them is always a good idea, you are really vage on when BSOD happen. If your getting BSOD i would guess it is the memory not stable. try 3000mhz or 2600. see what it gives you. If you continue with BSOD show us the ram timings. But this should get you a good simple overclock avx should work here as well. if not drop the avx down to 4.1 ie -4 or -5 respectively.

par02
Level 8
Wow, lot of info here I am a bit ignorant of.

cstkl1 wrote:
no diff even if you get a r6e with those rams.*

What did you mean by this? With those rams? I didn't think I picked out bad ram.

cstkl1 wrote:
baod....sounds like 512/avx2 offset issue btw ..*

I'm sorry, I didn't understand a word of that 😛

formula383 wrote:
4.5~4.6 should be easy using adaptive mode for lower idle power consumption or manual mode for direct voltages.
+.125v or 1.325vcore (this should be right... i forget exactly what i was using i know the .125v offset is what i was using this should be good up to 4.7 with out delid ofc you can always try less voltage 1.250vcore should be enough for 4.5ghz.)
+.125v or 1.225vmesh @ 2.7ghz
vccin 2.1v
vccio 1.100v
vccsa .900v
dram voltage at 3200 should be 1.35v This really depends on the dimm's and for yours i am not sure (1.3~1.4volts), make sure you have fan blowing on them is always a good idea, you are really vage on when BSOD happen. If your getting BSOD i would guess it is the memory not stable. try 3000mhz or 2600. see what it gives you. If you continue with BSOD show us the ram timings. But this should get you a good simple overclock avx should work here as well. if not drop the avx down to 4.1 ie -4 or -5 respectively.

Ok, I will try those settings. Thank you for some insight 🙂

As for the BSODs, it was only when I attempted to use the "proposed" CPU settings by the BIOS and the AI Suite wizard. What's interesting I am currently running the RAM at 3200 and ran it at that clock for all of the BSODs so, not sure its the RAM.

Thanks!

par02 wrote:
Ok, I will try those settings. Thank you for some insight 🙂

You are very welcome 🙂

par02 wrote:
As for the BSODs, it was only when I attempted to use the "proposed" CPU settings by the BIOS and the AI Suite wizard. What's interesting I am currently running the RAM at 3200 and ran it at that clock for all of the BSODs so, not sure its the RAM.
Sorry I was not clear, If the system is not stable with those settings then it would be my guess that the ram is not stable is what i meant to say.

I will try those settings too.

par02 wrote:
Wow, lot of info here I am a bit ignorant of.

What did you mean by this? With those rams? I didn't think I picked out bad ram.

Thanks!

He means both boards are fairly equal when it comes to DRAM overclocking at the frequency you are attempting to run.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090