cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freezing Rampage VI Extreme Randomly Freezing!

Epic-Shot
Level 7
My system Randomly Freezes and I cant find any reason why. Bios is updated to 1603 and all latest drivers. Does anyone no what I can do?

Here is my spec's

Processor: Intel Core i9-7920X
Motherboard: ASUS ROG RAMPAGE VI EXTREME
System Memory: DOMINATOR® PLATINUM 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz
Power Supply: 1200W Corsair AX1200i
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (1TB Samsung 970 PRO)
Storage Set 2: 1x SSD M.2 (1TB Samsung 970 PRO)
Graphics Card(s): NvLink 4Sot Nvidia's GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11GB (Founders Edition)
Custom Cooling System (2x Graphics Cards + CPU)
Reservoir Pump Combo: EK-XRES Reservoir Pump Combo D5
Radiator: XSPC EX Radiators EX560mm Quad Fan Radiator, EX420mm Triple Fan Radiator, and EX280mm Dual Fan Radiator
Water Block GPU: 2X EK-Vector RTX 2080 Ti RGB - Nickel + Plexi
Water Block GPU: Back Plate: EK-FB ASUS ROG R6E RGB Monoblock – Nickel EK-Vector
Water Block GPU: Terminal: EK-FC Terminal X4 – Plexi
Water Block CPU: EK-FB ASUS ROG R6E RGB Monoblock – Nickel
Chassis Fans: Corsair ML PRO Series (15 Fans Total)
Corsair Commander pro x 3
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Professional (64-Bit Edition)
19 REPLIES 19

Epic-Shot wrote:
hey bro could you help me out? System NOT stable at optimized default only

I keep getting random Freezing and every time I would check my memory with 2 or 4 sticks it would just freeze using memorytest86, I testing one stick at a time and no issues in each slot 1A,1B,1C,1D but every time I run 2 or 4 it freezes on optimized default only with out XMP and With XMP. NO O.C on CPU! Check specs and see what I did.

Here is my spec's

Processor: Intel Core i9-7920X Bio's 1603
Graphics Card(s): NvLink 4Sot Nvidia's GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11GB (Founders Edition)
Radiator: XSPC EX Radiators EX560mm Quad Fan Radiator, EX420mm Triple Fan Radiator, and EX280mm Dual Fan Radiator
Water Block GPU: Back Plate: EK-FB ASUS ROG R6E RGB Monoblock – Nickel EK-Vector

I got system stable and Pass MemoryTest86 on 4 passes 8 Hours later with all 4 sticks 1A,1B,1C and 1D. Without freezing during test and without freezing on windows, Here is what I did.

OC CPU First, 47 and Volts to 1.210 this alone will not help. I had to adjust AVX offset until I found a stable set point. I found 10 stable.

AVX Instruction Core Ratio Negative Offset: This setting reduces CPU core frequencies by the applied value when an AVX workload is run. The thermal output of AVX workloads is an order of magnitude higher than for non-AVX workloads.

Then after I got CPU stable, I enabled XMP Running temps 50c to 70c

That got me to a point that system is stable and I could run 4 passes on memorytest86 without freezing.

I have no idea why my system will not run stable at optimized default only.

Do I have a bad board or CPU? I don't understand why I have to Keep a OC on at all times?

ROG Rampage VI Extreme Randomly Freezes Updated:
This is what I did!!!!!!!

Try this take your Ram out of these slots C1,C2 and D1,D2
Put them in A1,A2 and B1,B2 or just try one stick at a time.
(Stay away from RIGHT SIDE OF THE BOARD C1,C2 and D1,D2)

Download Prim95 and run a blend test on all cores.
My system seemed to run good with 1 stick in A1 slot Overnight. No issues
I placed all 4 sticks in A1,A2,B1 and B2 and Ran Prim95 and system is good.
What this Test told me is that the right side is having issues with memory.

FYI: I replaced my Ram with a new set of Ram to make sure I wasn’t having ram issues.
(When testing my old and new Ram with MemTest86 my system would freeze up with ram in all slots)
I ran my old ram in Slot A1 one stick at a time (without Freezing) and did find that I had 1 stick with errors and the system didn’t freeze.
That got me thinking it was the Ram from the start, so I ordered new Ram and did the same thing and did not have the lock ups until I placed all sticks in the board and then I got freezing again with New Ram.

I have been dealing with this issue for over a Year and I didn’t want to believe it was the motherboard. My system is water cooled so removing it is not easy.
I’m in the process of RMA and I hope I get a good board back. I wanted to let people know about this because this has not been a good experience and has taking a lot of time trying to understand and find the issue.

My Spec’s

ASUS ROG RAMPAGE VI EXTREME
Corsair DOMINATOR PLATINUM 64GB DDR4 3200MHz (4 X 16GB)
1200W Corsair AX1600i
Two Mvme SSD M.2 1TB Samsung 970 PRO
TWO Nvidia's GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11GB
EK-XRES Reservoir Pump Combo D5
XSPC EX Radiators Three EX560mm, EX420mm, and EX280mm
Water Block GPU: Two EK-Vector RTX 2080 Ti RGB - Nickel + Plexi
GPU Back Plates: Two Back Plate Nickel EK-Vector
Chassis Fans: Corsair 140 ML PRO Series (15 Fans Total)
Corsair: Three Commander Pro's

G75rog
Level 10
Random freezes no matter the troubleshooting steps performed would warrant changing the PSU. Erratic PSU's have been the biggest trouble maker in my gamer machines.

G75rog wrote:
Random freezes no matter the troubleshooting steps performed would warrant changing the PSU. Erratic PSU's have been the biggest trouble maker in my gamer machines.

What would you replace the Corsair AX1200i with? Or just keep it the same or go larger like 1600? Maybe I got one that's not acting right?

Epic-Shot wrote:
What would you replace the Corsair AX1200i with? Or just keep it the same or go larger like 1600? Maybe I got one that's not acting right?

I run an Apex with a lightly loaded 1200W NZXT supply which is no longer available though I have spares. It runs COOL, never warms up, is QUIET, and over the years has never given me problems. I had to tape a strip of tissue paper over the exhaust vent to indicate the fan was actually running. My earlier PSU problems were with 850 and 1000W Corsairs which have since been replaced by NZXT's in all my machines.
Lack of aggravation and reliabilty are more important to me than price.

If I have an issue with a particular model I always replace it with something different.
From what I can find on the net the 1600 is a different animal and would probably do ok.

jrmcdou
Level 10
Did it do this on the previous bios? If not try rolling back and see if it solves it.
Rampage VI Extreme bios 1503
Core i9 7980XE @ 4.4ghz all cores
64 gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3600
2x RTX 2080 Ti FE NvLink/SLI
2x Samsung 970 Pro 1tb NVME
Corsair AX1600i
Corsair 1000D case
1x Dell U3818DW 38" Curved Ultrawide and 2x Dell S2716DG 27" 1ms GSYNC 2560x1440 144 hz
Win 10 Pro x64

jrmcdou wrote:
Did it do this on the previous bios? If not try rolling back and see if it solves it.

Yes on both bios, I'm going to try and do a memory test again with one stick at a time after I get off work. But I have a strong feeling that the memory is not the issue but I will give it a test on each stick one at a time.

Epic-Shot
Level 7
Epic-Shot wrote:
My system Randomly Freezes and I cant find any reason why. Bios is updated to 1603 and all latest drivers. Does anyone no what I can do?

Here is my spec's

OK, I Ran Memorytest86, 1 stick at a time in each slot A1,B1,C1 and D1 and every stick passes By itself, So I put in all 4 sticks and it Locks up/freezes in pass 7 test 2 every time around 2 hour 30 min mark. Do you guys think this is a memory issue still or board? This is a lot of testing and time!

xarot
Level 11
So does it freeze on optimized default only? What about XMP only set on? After all you are overclocking so have you ever tried if the overclock is stable? When you get the bare stock to run, only then begin overclocking and use the recommended tools to check stability.

Is that memory kit a single memory kit or two or more combined kits?
Main: i9-10980XE - Rampage VI Extreme Encore - 64 GB G.Skill Trident Z Royal 3600 CL16 - Strix RTX 3090 - Phanteks Enthoo Primo - Corsair AX1500i - Samsung 960 PRO 1 TB + Intel 600P 1TB - Water cooling
HTPC: i7-6950X - X99-M WS - 32 GB G.Skill RipjawsV DDR4-2400 - GTX1050TI - Bitfenix Pandora - Corsair AX860 - Intel 750 400 GB + Samsung 1 TB 850 EVO
All around: i9-7980XE - Rampage VI Extreme - 64 GB G.Skill 4000 CL18-19-19-39 - Strix RTX3090 - Phanteks P500A - Samsung 960 EVO 512 GB - Water cooling

xarot wrote:
So does it freeze on optimized default only? What about XMP only set on? After all you are overclocking so have you ever tried if the overclock is stable? When you get the bare stock to run, only then begin overclocking and use the recommended tools to check stability.

Is that memory kit a single memory kit or two or more combined kits?

Ok good news,

I got system stable and Pass MemoryTest86 on 4 passes with all 4 sticks 1A,1B,1C and 1D. Without freezing during test and without freezing on windows Here is what I did.

OC CPU First, 47 and Volts to 1.210 this alone will not help. I had to adjust AVX offset until I found a stable set point. I found 10 stable.

AVX Instruction Core Ratio Negative Offset: This setting reduces CPU core frequencies by the applied value when an AVX workload is run. The thermal output of AVX workloads is an order of magnitude higher than for non-AVX workloads, which is why this setting has been introduced.

Then after I got CPU stable, I enabled XMP

That got me to a point that system is stable and I could run 4 passes on memorytest86 without freezing.

I have no idea why system will not run stable at optimized default only.

Do I have a bad board or CPU?

BigJohnny
Level 13
Wierd to say the least.
My personal attack has always been to leave everything else alone until I get cores and mesh stable. Then go back and mess with the rest.
Bump up ratios to comfortable level, Vcore adaptive to as much as I want to run it then LLC to 4 with current limits maxed. Bump up multi until I find the ceiling then go back, hit XMP and scroll down and set Vram to specs as it never does, leave it too low. That kit should be a minimum of 1.35 but can take 1.4 no sweat and even 1.5 if you have enough airflow or actice cooling like the fan that comes with them. Ive not ever ran a dominator kit past 1.4 though never had the need.