cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fan Expert 4 losing profiles + DIP5 bug

Abaidor
Level 9
Well it seems that we all end up on the same roads with this motherboard and Asus Software.

After successfully setting up the system and updating the ME firmware + driver I wanted to fine tune my fans.

I have quite a few fans

9 X Corsair ML140 Pros on the High Amp Fan header (they work fine and power draw is well within the 3amp bracket)
1X Phanteks MP 140 for rear exhaust
1X Phanteks 120 MP for top exhaust (very very low spinning)
2X Corsair ML120 on separate channels
1X Bitfenix Spectre RGB 200mm Front Intake
1X BeQuiet Silent Wings 3 High Speed as front Intake (on CPU header)
2X CoolerMaster 120mm (old but quiet) on the side for HDs that are 99% off due to low temps.

I have also connected 2X D5 pumps on the pump headers.

I am using the Fan Extension card as well and all of its 3 channels.

Now the problem is that Fan Expert 4 keeps losing my custom profile and I suspect that this occurs after I have entered the BIOS irrelevantly of what I do there.

When I set-up my profiles everything works relatively well but then several reboots later I lose my profiles and Fan Expert asks me to run Fan Tuning again. This is getting tiresome because I need to remake all my curves.

Another issue is that Windows keep switching back to "Balanced" power mode and this is reported as a bug of DIP 5. Although Asus has issued an update for this when I install it I lose all the other utilities in AI Suite making it useless. Anyone found a solution to this? What versions are you using.

Am I right to believe that i have to ditch AI Suite and go buy an Aquaero? It's really sad because one of the reasons for buying this motherboard was the big number of fan headers and its software but I am now realizing that I need to turn elsewhere and the comments from other users do not look good.

It looks like Asus CAN'T fix this software.
Asus Rampage VI Extreme | i9-7940X | 64GB Trident Z RGB 3600 | Asus Strix 1080Ti OC | Samsung 960 Pro 512GB | WD Gold 10TB | WD Red 4TB X 2 | PSU Corsair AX1500i | Custom Water Loop - RAD MO-RA3 420 Pro | EK Monoblock | Phanteks GPU Block | Heatkiller 200 Tube RES | EK Dual D5 Revo Pumps | 9 X Corsair ML 140 Pro Fans on RAD | | Bitspower Fittings Black Chrome | Cooler Master Cosmos 2 Modded Case | Silent WIngs 3 120mm Intake |
9 REPLIES 9

Marko911
Level 8
Hi there,yes,Asus fan software isn't something to be desired,but BIOS Fan control is pretty much great-stick with that-great for fine tuning also.And one more thing,mixing fans on any mobo is terrible idea,I really would recommend you to stick with one fan manufacturer.I'm running 15 Aer NZXT fans of mobo headers without any issue,everything is set up in BIOS and system is whisper quiet.(ofc with fan splitters)
Also,I don't have any problems with power modes in windows and AI Suite,I don't use FanXpert profiles because of lack of controls.(RPM fix mode is unavailable,PWM curve in software is no were near the one I can set in BIOS )...Maybe your Windows is bugging?

Marko911 wrote:
Hi there,yes,Asus fan software isn't something to be desired,but BIOS Fan control is pretty much great-stick with that-great for fine tuning also.And one more thing,mixing fans on any mobo is terrible idea,I really would recommend you to stick with one fan manufacturer.I'm running 15 Aer NZXT fans of mobo headers without any issue,everything is set up in BIOS and system is whisper quiet.(ofc with fan splitters)
Also,I don't have any problems with power modes in windows and AI Suite,I don't use FanXpert profiles because of lack of controls.(RPM fix mode is unavailable,PWM curve in software is no were near the one I can set in BIOS )...Maybe your Windows is bugging?

The Fans work 100% fine through the BIOS.

Regarding mixing fans it is only a problem if you mix different fans on the same header and they send different PWM signals. I have grouped my fans per manufacturer and per size on the fan headers. Other than that I find it absolutely necessary to not use the same on each and every spot since not all fans are great at all jobs.

For example I want the ML 140 Pros for my rad - can be quiet, can be strong and have great control + they can be stopped through PWM which is what is happening when I doing office work.

The Phanteks are used for exhaust on different headers and I want them since they are white and they look great with Phanteks Halos Lux Digital. They work and tune fine.

The top ML120 is on each on compartment and only used to cool hot-swap disks. I have constructed a special Plexi-Glass fun duct that isolates all this from the rest of the box.

The Silent Wings 3 PWM High Speed is on each on channel as well, it is hidden from view and is connected to the CPU header as an intake pulling fresh air to the memory + DIMM2.

And so on.

Yet, the fans work great through BIOS and mixing is not an issue since their PWM control range is fine (again when placed on their own channels)

The problem is that FanExpert is losing the profiles. Once I run fan tuning and make my custom curves it works great and all fans are detected properly. But on a reboot it loses everything even if I leave 1 fan connected.

I know I will end up with an Aquaero soon and I now understand why such a product exists but I also hate paying for features that I can't use such as the fan control of this Motherboard through software in Windows.

Asus fix the DAMN thing!
Asus Rampage VI Extreme | i9-7940X | 64GB Trident Z RGB 3600 | Asus Strix 1080Ti OC | Samsung 960 Pro 512GB | WD Gold 10TB | WD Red 4TB X 2 | PSU Corsair AX1500i | Custom Water Loop - RAD MO-RA3 420 Pro | EK Monoblock | Phanteks GPU Block | Heatkiller 200 Tube RES | EK Dual D5 Revo Pumps | 9 X Corsair ML 140 Pro Fans on RAD | | Bitspower Fittings Black Chrome | Cooler Master Cosmos 2 Modded Case | Silent WIngs 3 120mm Intake |

Marko911
Level 8
Yeah,I see...I had problems with my Noctua's and NZXT on different headers,but still Noctua fans did behave strange(ofc that is subjective opinion )
Use BIOS than,save some money 😉 Aquero is great but is also known for it's own issues (buggy software,LCD problems,cheap packaging that can be a problem during shipping ...)
In my opinion,it's not worth it.*Unfortunately,in moment of desperation I tried it(6XT),returned it after 3 days*

Marko911 wrote:
Yeah,I see...I had problems with my Noctua's and NZXT on different headers,but still Noctua fans did behave strange(ofc that is subjective opinion )
Use BIOS than,save some money 😉 Aquero is great but is also known for it's own issues (buggy software,LCD problems,cheap packaging that can be a problem during shipping ...)
In my opinion,it's not worth it.*Unfortunately,in moment of desperation I tried it(6XT),returned it after 3 days*

I just tried 2-3 more times with FanExpert (renaming profiles etc). The damn thing refuses to keep my calibration data and resets on every reboot.

I am re-tuning everything in BIOS Q-Fan right now and hope for the best. Will report back in 20 mintues.

Hmm. Regarding the Aquaero I am not too keen of installing yet another controller but I was hoping it would be trouble free - now you say you also had issues with it. I used to have another such controller 10+ years ago - The T-Balancer but they went out of business and I just have a box with it and all its extras in the closet. It also had its issues.

So was the Aquaero buggy in your set-up? I hear a lot of good words about it but as with everything what works in one PC is not guaranteed to work on another.

Marko911
Level 8
In my opinion,I didn't find Aquero 6XT very much user friendly. Software,sometimes works,sometimes don't.-not much different than FanXpert.But when I did put under aquero device(without USB connection to PC) all settings it did work just like Asus BIOS,only exception is that Aquero gives you option to bind fans with temp sensors.So,at the end,I had what Asus was offering me,but with a price tag of 200euro and a heap of cables.I would buy it,if I had like 40 fans in my system,otherwise no.

Hopper64
Level 15
I have the aquaero 6LT and mine works quite well. I am using that for all my case fans. I have my cpu fans going through the cpu fan header controlled by AISuite 3 and have been plagued by the software losing my fan profile too. It has been that way for months. Don’t know how to fix it.*
MZ790A Bios 2002, GSkill F5-8000J3848H16GX2-TZRK, 13900KS, EKWB D5 TBE 300, Seasonic Prime TX-1600 ATX 3.0, Asus Strix 4090 w/ Optimus block, Phanteks Enthoo Elite, Asus Claymore 2, Asus Gladius 3, Asus XG349C, Samsung 990, Windows 11 Pro

Abaidor
Level 9
SUCCESS!

I made my custom curves in the BIOS and now it runs perfectly and it also shuts off some of the fans not needed all the time (i.e. the ML120 that cools the Hot-Swap Disks and has its own sensor from the EXT. Card).

I am testing with Real Bench / OCCT and other tools while monitoring with Hardware Info 64 and everything runs as intended.

I don't know what I am really missing without AI Suite but I am leaving it without it and I am really happy with the way the fans work through the BIOS.
If this configuration remains stable I do not think I need an extra controller.

I have not overclocked the CPU (i9-7940X) yet besided the XMP profile (3600Mhz) of the memory and my max temps under stress test do not exceed 60c while the PC is really quiet. The MO-RA 420 Pro radiator is doing an excellent job and I am pleasantly surprised by the EK Monoblock too.

Marko911
Level 8
Great!The only thing you missing without AI Suite is another resource hogging app 😄 (this statement applies to all monitoring apps from Asus to Gigabayte,MSI .....)
Luckily ASUS BIOS is hassle free 🙂

Abaidor
Level 9
After having updated my BIOS to 1301 + New Firmware for Intel + the MEI Driver in Windows and now Q-FAN SET - I will be sitting tight. No more changes for me unless there is something really critical.