cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extremely long boot time & long last BIOS time

DJLTY
Level 7
Hi,

Enjoying my new build, with one big exception. The boot time is ridiculously long - probably about 40 seconds to a minute from pressing power button, to working desktop. I'm wondering if anyone else is having this problem, and hoping it's just either a not so straightforward fix or just the board needing BIOS tweaks since it's still so new. I'll list what I've tried below, but will list the details of my PC first to see if maybe there's some conflicts going on.

Here's the details of my PC:

- Win 10 Enterprise
- Asus ROG Rampage VI Extreme
- i9 7940X, stock clock
- 128gb Corsair Vengeance Ram XMP@3000
- Samsung 960 Pro m.2 nvme 512gb as windows drive in M.2_1 Socket 3 bay (the one under the chipset shield)
- 960 Pro m.2 nvme 2tb in one of the slots of the DIMM.2_SLOT (next to the ram)
- 850 Evo 2tb in a hot swap drive
- HGST Deskstar 4tb 7200
- Gigabyte Aorus waterblock 1080ti
- EK Coolstream PE 360mm rad
- EK xres revo d5 pump combo
- I do have an NZXT internal USB 2.0 hub that's used to connect a few things like a front USB 2.0 panel, a corsair lighting unit/fan hub controlling 6 RGB fans & 4 LED strips

Here's what happens, & what I've tried:

I push power button, and PC turns on. Monitor doesn't turn on until about maybe 20 seconds later, and then after a few seconds the American Megatreds POST pops up for maybe 5 seconds. Then, it will go to the win 10 black screen with blue icon loading screen, and then jumps straight into windows quickly after that. Sometimes the PC will bypass the win 10 loading screen very fast, other times it hangs there for 10 seconds or more. It's consistently long, but not always the same.

I've downloaded and installed the nvme drivers from samsung, crystal disk mark shows the speeds on both nvme drives are accurate, I've gone into bios and made sure that drives are set to AHCI, enabled fast boot, disabled a lot of the post system checks. I moved the water pump header from w_pump+1 to a high amp fan header on the motherboard (no good), then tried removing different connections on the board one by one to see if something was causing it to hang. I removed one of the USB 3.1 gen 1 connector (no good), I removed the NZXT internal USB 2.0 hub (no good), I tried booting with just 1x16gb stick of ram (no good), I tried removing every drive except the 960 pro 512gb boot drive under the chipset armor (no good). I'm really lost here about what the hell is going on with this system, and why it's taking so long to boot. I'm wondering if a total reinstall of windows is needed.

At this point, any help or ideas would be appreciated. I bought almost everything from amazon, but I'm outside the 30 day return window so if there's a bad part it'd have to be RMA though warranty from company (which I REALLY hope is not the case & would like to avoid). I hate to think I spent all that money on those nvme drives only to have boot-ups slower than my old 5400 rpm IDE HDD windows xp systems from 10+ years ago. I'm thinking to try installing windows on the nvme drive when it's the ONLY drive present in the system, or moving it to the DIMM.2 slot, or just seeing what happens if I install it on my 850 EVO instead and see if it's any faster. I know the R6E is a very new board, and it might just be a bios thing too, but either way, I'm stuck and please....halp!!

Thanks
17 REPLIES 17

G75rog
Level 10
Update the 960 pro firmware. That will take care of the drive hanging.
Why are you running the restrictive W10 Enterprise instead of Pro?
128gb RAM and the mechancal hdds will add to overall boot time.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
I haven't tried this but apparently fast boot doesn't work if you are using multicore enhancement. It does if you return processor to stock..but then you are losing performance when up and running and frankly that is where the time savings come in.

It's like dog sled racing...guy with two dogs is set up and off faster while the guy with 8 dogs has to wrangle them all into place...but up and running no contest...

You will be in for a treat no doubt first time you put those cores to good use...7940X vs 4790 will be night and day for video and and your music production:cool:

Maybe fresh win 10 install will help because once boot hands off to OS driver loading can hang
DJLTY wrote:
other times it hangs there for 10 seconds or more.
which this sounds like...

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Worth noting it can differ greatly depending on the Windows 10 build, too. Some of the newer versions have a tendency to take longer to initialise devices.

For me it's by the by anyway, as that's what sleep states are for. I don't lose sleep over a lost few seconds. 🙂
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Having perhaps a similar issue on my Z370-A, BIOS time is 14s ATM but in general the system boot process degrades overtime for no apparent reason.
The Windows blue circle is just handing there for a while and the SSD is not even loading, when it finally does, the login screen is apparent within seconds.

BigJohnny
Level 13
Mine is at desktop in about 20 seconds.
R6EE with BIOS 1004 modded and 10980XE.
Don't use sleep, hibernate or fast startup.

sultan_of_swing
Level 9
The Extreme Encore compared to my Evga X299 Dark takes about 3 times longer to post and get to where it is loading windows.
I assume since the Encore has much more BIOS options and devices it has to configure on POST that it is pretty natural for it to take longer than what you may be used too.
My biggest gripe with this board is how slow the Per core Overclocking menu is in the BIOS. It is painfully slow and lags out pretty bad.

nitinmits
Level 7
DJLTY wrote:
Hi,

Enjoying my new build, with one big exception. The boot time is ridiculously long - probably about 40 seconds to a minute from pressing power button, to working desktop. I'm wondering if anyone else is having this problem, and hoping it's just either a not so straightforward fix or just the board needing BIOS tweaks since it's still so new. I'll list what I've tried below, but will list the details of my PC first to see if maybe there's some conflicts going on.

Here's the details of my PC:

- Win 10 Enterprise
- Asus ROG Rampage VI Extreme
- i9 7940X, stock clock
- 128gb Corsair Vengeance Ram XMP@3000
- Samsung 960 Pro m.2 nvme 512gb as windows drive in M.2_1 Socket 3 bay (the one under the chipset shield)
- 960 Pro m.2 nvme 2tb in one of the slots of the DIMM.2_SLOT (next to the ram)
- 850 Evo 2tb in a hot swap drive
- HGST Deskstar 4tb 7200
- Gigabyte Aorus waterblock 1080ti
- EK Coolstream PE 360mm rad
- EK xres revo d5 pump combo
- I do have an NZXT internal USB 2.0 hub that's used to connect a few things like a front USB 2.0 panel, a corsair lighting unit/fan hub controlling 6 RGB fans & 4 LED strips

Here's what happens, & what I've tried:

I push power button, and PC turns on. Monitor doesn't turn on until about maybe 20 seconds later, and then after a few seconds the American Megatreds POST pops up for maybe 5 seconds. Then, it will go to the win 10 black screen with blue icon loading screen, and then jumps straight into windows quickly after that. Sometimes the PC will bypass the win 10 loading screen very fast, other times it hangs there for 10 seconds or more. It's consistently long, but not always the same.

I've downloaded and installed the nvme drivers from samsung, crystal disk mark shows the speeds on both nvme drives are accurate, I've gone into bios and made sure that drives are set to AHCI, enabled fast boot, disabled a lot of the post system checks. I moved the water pump header from w_pump+1 to a high amp fan header on the motherboard (no good), then tried removing different connections on the board one by one to see if something was causing it to hang. I removed one of the USB 3.1 gen 1 connector (no good), I removed the NZXT internal USB 2.0 hub (no good), I tried booting with just 1x16gb stick of ram (no good), I tried removing every drive except the 960 pro 512gb boot drive under the chipset armor (no good). I'm really lost here about what the hell is going on with this system, and why it's taking so long to boot. I'm wondering if a total reinstall of windows is needed.

At this point, any help or ideas would be appreciated. I bought almost everything from amazon, but I'm outside the 30 day return window so if there's a bad part it'd have to be RMA though warranty from company (which I REALLY hope is not the case & would like to avoid). I hate to think I spent all that money on those nvme drives only to have boot-ups slower than my old 5400 rpm IDE HDD windows xp systems from 10+ years ago. I'm thinking to try installing windows on the nvme drive when it's the ONLY drive present in the system, or moving it to the DIMM.2 slot, or just seeing what happens if I install it on my 850 EVO instead and see if it's any faster. I know the R6E is a very new board, and it might just be a bios thing too, but either way, I'm stuck and please....halp!!

Thanks

Simple solution and boot time will be 10 seconds. Just check setting MRC fastboot=Enable in DRAM settings. Thank me after that.

restsugavan
Level 13

Core i9 7980XE RAMPAGE VI EXTREME MODDED BIOS 3501 Used Intel 02006B06 Microcode

Here is my boot times from switch on through Windows 11 build 22458.1000 session.

Personally I think boot time vary by how many components which attached to your system.
Do you ever defragment your Windows Drive before end of your lastest session ?
W11CANARY 26090.1 Core i9 7980XE 02007006 MCE ME 11.12.95.2499 R6E OFFICIAL BIOS 3801 SAMSUNG OG9 FW 1019.0 SSD 970 EVO PLUS 1 TB x 3 NVIDIA RTX 4090 GAME READY 551.86 64GB GSKILL DDR4 3200MHz JBL 9.1 Sound Bar DTS-X