cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disk order for Windows installation

tistou77
Level 13
Hello

I have my OS installed on an Optane 900P (PCIe) and a Samsung 960 (on slot 2 of DIMM.2) for DATA
I put the Optane on the 4th PCIe slot now (before it was on slot 2) and since when I install Windows, the Optane is on disk 1 and the Samsung on disk 0
Yet in Disk Management and Diskpart, the Optane is on disk 0

Why during the installation of Windows, the Optane is on the disc 1 ?

Thanks
Sorry for my english 😄

Case: Lian Li A77F
MB: Rampage VI Extreme Encore
CPU: i9 10980XE
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB Royal 4x8Gb @4000 C16
GPU: EVGA RTX 2080ti XC Ultra
PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 1000W
DATA: Samsung 980 Pro
SOUND: Asus Xonar Phoebus
6 REPLIES 6

G75rog
Level 10
Looking at Disk Management from Computer Management on my R6 Apex, the 2 drives on the CPU (left) side Dimm2 are Disk 0 and 1. The 4 drives on the Asus Hyperx16 card are disks 2,3,4,5 and the drive on the PCH Dimm2 is disk 6 which happens to be the OS boot disk. I'm content to let Win 10 number them as it wishes as long as it all works. 😉

danone77
Level 7
Hi,
for me i have a Samsung 960 on CPU Dimm 2.1 for the OS and a Samsung 860 on Sata Port for Data on my Apex, in Taskmanager/Disk Management it showing Disk 0 for S860/Data and Disk 1 for the S960/OS. First i think that is not Right and it make me crazy , but all is working good. I also try to install Windows only with the 960 attached , but when i attached the 860 it is changing again. When i look with SIV (System Informations Viewer from RedRay) it Shows for the S960 port 2.0.0 and for the S860 port 0.0.0....
I Think(hope?) it is Right , because all is working….

tistou77
Level 13
I have the Optane (OS) in disk 0 and the 960 in disk 1 in the task manager
It's just weird that the Optane is in disk 1 during the installation of Windows, maybe related to the bios
Sorry for my english 😄

danone77
Level 7
Ahh ok, for you it is only when you install Windows...I would like to know if it is right for me?...
@tistou77 have you "HPET"(useplatformclock) on or off on your System? And have you also a new Temp Reading on the Embedded Controller "TQ Dimm 2.2" what is showing 127 Degrees Celsius on idle and when full load it is showing 60-65 Degrees Celsius(i Thing it was new with Bios 1301 or 1201)it is only showing in Monitor Programs not in Bios??Maybe a wrong read from the EC Firmware?

tistou77
Level 13
Yes only during Windows installation
I put the Samsung on slot 1 of DIMM.2, and now the Optane is in disk 0 during the installation of Windows (and under Windows too)
Really weird slot distribution with DIMM.2
I also tested to put the Samsung on a PCIe port, and the Optane is still in disc 1

There is probably a sequence of PCIe slots

I have never looked for the HEPT (and never tested)
For the temperature of the DIMM.2, it is a probe added on the 2pin of DIMM.2 ?
Sorry for my english 😄

danone77
Level 7
No the Temp is reportet from the EC and i have no temp probe added to the rog dimm Card(no temp probes anywhere on the mb,all over Corsair Commander Pro and SIV,because of the Software from Asus ;-)....i think it is a ghost reading from The EC , the EC Firmware is reporting it , but the Sensor is not there...i will ask the Producer of SIV , he is realy quick in Fixing Things and give help in SIV...
thx...