cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

different core temperatures Rampage vi

Superino091
Level 8
guys, I need your help. (sorry for my english but use google to translate)
then I own the 7820x, delid fact. Rampage VI extreme
I do not understand either in default or oc, using programs of stability there are cores that are even 15 degrees less, I tried everything changed the pasta, I tried another cpu always delid always 10/15 degrees less than the core warmer, I also tried another cooling system but nothing has changed. the voltages are all on manual, each core is at the same voltage all the cores are at 4500 1.120v. I would not want the motherboard a friend of mine with the same processor the difference between the core and a few degrees. some advice?
21 REPLIES 21

Marko911 wrote:
First thing,first...NOT ALL i9 CPUs are capable to achieve stable 4,5Ghz or above.
Second,if you have discrepancies between cores greater than 15-20C than you need to do again delidd and see where is the problem,inner silicone on PBC or IHS or lack of liquid metal on die....(caseking or any other services that do this are prone to mistakes as anyone else)

I did actually buy a pre binned 4.6GHz guaranteed CPU and have since delidded it again as i mentioned and even with a new application of liquid metal and ensuring the IHS was completely free to slide on the die guaranteeing there was no glue preventing it from sitting properly (it was immaculately clean and free from silicone or glue) and using a tiny dab of superglue to hold it back on I still get a differential and on exactly the same cores.

purgitoria wrote:
I did actually buy a pre binned 4.6GHz guaranteed CPU and have since delidded it again as i mentioned and even with a new application of liquid metal and ensuring the IHS was completely free to slide on the die guaranteeing there was no glue preventing it from sitting properly (it was immaculately clean and free from silicone or glue) and using a tiny dab of superglue to hold it back on I still get a differential and on exactly the same cores.

Than,that's not stable OC.I really don't like the word "guaranteed" OC that sellers use.In my case,problem was not enough liquid metal(second time around I did use fairly more than before or on any other previous CPU) but still I can't OC.
Try lowering you OC and Vcore...I mean,can you or anyone even use blender or handbrake with that kind of OC?For example,My CPU at 4,6Ghz all cores needs 1,21V but thermal throttle evenly happens across all cores with two big rads...So I leave it at RVIE default settings,and I do get nice 4,0Ghz for rendering at 75C..

Raja@ASUS wrote:
Could be a number of factors involved. DTS accuracy isn't absolute, either. Difficult to make a definitive statement regarding why the difference exists. For you, it means the difference has to be taken into account when you overclock the system. If the core really is running hotter, it may be a a little more prone to instability than cooler cores.

Given that COre 10 is the hotest and supposedly the one most suitable for OC according to bios and turbo boost i just find that strange. I would have thought the most stable core would have been cooler than the rest.

Marko911 wrote:
Than,that's not stable OC.I really don't like the word "guaranteed" OC that sellers use.In my case,problem was not enough liquid metal(second time around I did use fairly more than before or on any other previous CPU) but still I can't OC.

I really don't think it is the quantity of liquid metal that is the issue unless there is some sort of serious deformity in the IHS.

Marko911 wrote:
Try lowering you OC and Vcore...I mean,can you or anyone even use blender or handbrake with that kind of OC?For example,My CPU at 4,6Ghz all cores needs 1,21V but thermal throttle evenly happens across all cores with two big rads...So I leave it at RVIE default settings,and I do get nice 4,0Ghz for rendering at 75C..

I have never used Handbrake before as i normally use Premier Pro. I did run a quick test with it and it actually works just fine with temps below 75°C and 4.6GHz on all cores. I did try 1.21V on the cores but i got crashing issues. I may try and do the voltages core by core and drop core 10 down if it is the most stable (supposedly) as it should be able to handle a lower voltage in theory.

purgitoria wrote:
Given that COre 10 is the hotest and supposedly the one most suitable for OC according to bios and turbo boost i just find that strange. I would have thought the most stable core would have been cooler than the rest.

The core Intel chooses is likely due to achieving the turbo frequency within the base power envelope. That is not to say that characteristics stay the same when the processor is overclocked. Leakage and scaling come into play. And once you get past a certain point, instability increases with temperature.

A *real* 20 Celsius difference is not a trivial matter. When a CPU is overclocked, 20 Celsius often equates to 100-200 MHz of frequency headroom.

purgitoria wrote:

I really don't think it is the quantity of liquid metal that is the issue unless there is some sort of serious deformity in the IHS.

I have never used Handbrake before as i normally use Premier Pro. I did run a quick test with it and it actually works just fine with temps below 75°C and 4.6GHz on all cores. I did try 1.21V on the cores but i got crashing issues. I may try and do the voltages core by core and drop core 10 down if it is the most stable (supposedly) as it should be able to handle a lower voltage in theory.

Well,my IHS is shaped like a egg .... 😄 Seriously,when I delided it the second time there were surfaces that didn't even touch(even after removing silicone from PCB ).More liquid metal solved the problem(a little bigger ball,not like french fries dipping sauce quantity)
P.S I saw your prime results,you get max60C in prime95 at 4,5ghz?That's better than i7 7700k delidded 😄

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
A core temperature disparity of up to 20c is not uncommon on these CPU.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone wrote:
A core temperature disparity of up to 20c is not uncommon on these CPU.

Thanks for confirming that. I was starting to get that impression and it seems to be just luck of the draw what core temperature spread there is. Would this be related to differences in the silicon wafer and be related in the same way to stability and ultimate OC threshold?

Raja
Level 13
Could be a number of factors involved. DTS accuracy isn't absolute, either. Difficult to make a definitive statement regarding why the difference exists. For you, it means the difference has to be taken into account when you overclock the system. If the core really is running hotter, it may be a a little more prone to instability than cooler cores.

Raja
Level 13
Mark0911, I just removed an expletive from your post (#15) and the post that quoted it. Expletives are against the forum rules. Do not try to work around the swear filter by using special characters or other means. Next time I see it, expect a vacation.

Raja@ASUS wrote:
Mark0911, I just removed an expletive from your post (#15) and the post that quoted it. Expletives are against the forum rules. Do not try to work around the swear filter by using special characters or other means. Next time I see it, expect a vacation.

Omg,I'm so sorry.I didn't even realized I've used a curse word.Won't happen again. 😞