cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Boot issue with rampage vi extreme encore

francoistoen
Level 7
HI

I have a question about Boot between AHCI and Intel RST Premium mode.
In this picture we can see a lot of drives to be selceted for boot . It is AHCI mode

In this picture we can see the drives that can be selected for Boot : It is Intel RST Premuim (RAID) mode.
All the drives connected to sata ports have desappeared. So i can't boot from CDDVDROM.

My question is : Is it possible to boot from SATA drives in Intel RST PREMIUIM mode. Is it possible to have raid function in AHCI mode?

I can't find an answer to those questions and it appears to be impossible to have both cdrom and raid at the same time.

If somebody can explain me this I will appreciate.

Thanks
François
5 REPLIES 5

cekeu
Level 12
All I noticed is that in Windows 10 we can activate a disk array in RAID if the disks are in AHCI in the bios. I have never done this and I do not know how to recover its data after a new installation of the system.
For the DVDROM if it is recognized once in the system it may not be important. Better to use a usb stick to format and install the system or use a linux file system I think.
But I don't have experience with your disk configuration, sorry

restsugavan
Level 13
You can boot from SATA Drive on RST Premium mode but it will slower than other choices.
W11CANARY 26085.1 Core i9 7980XE 02007006 MCE ME 11.12.95.2499 R6E OFFICIAL BIOS 3801 SAMSUNG OG9 FW 1019.0 SSD 970 EVO PLUS 1 TB x 3 NVIDIA RTX 4090 GAME READY 551.86 64GB GSKILL DDR4 3200MHz JBL 9.1 Sound Bar DTS-X

restsugavan wrote:
You can boot from SATA Drive on RST Premium mode but it will slower than other choices.

Hi
The problem is that I cannot boot from any sata drives because in RST mode all sata drives disappear from Boot Menu (see picture).
And my problem is not speed but be able to boot on CD/DVDROM to access special testing software or to install other OS or .....
In AHCI mode I can select between any drive connected to SATA ports but none is available in RST mode. It is the first time I see that in BIOS . SO I have to choose between booting with sata drives and no RAID possibility or RAID possibility and no SATA Drives.
All this is only for booting as in both mode the drives are well detected and can be used by Windows.
Thanks
François
Here are the picture of sata setup in both modes
In RST all ports are empty, in AHCI port are filled with the drive names.

restsugavan
Level 13
From the pictures above. If it was for my own rig. I will choose DIMM.2 (M1+M2) on RAID-0 mode first.
The setup GPT for Windows 10 installation on RAID-0 ( 970 EVO x 2 ).:cool:

Other drive you must let W10 May 2020 update manage for work.
For optimal performance choose the fastest drive do you have for OS and leave other slower drive on SATA attached for data.
W11CANARY 26085.1 Core i9 7980XE 02007006 MCE ME 11.12.95.2499 R6E OFFICIAL BIOS 3801 SAMSUNG OG9 FW 1019.0 SSD 970 EVO PLUS 1 TB x 3 NVIDIA RTX 4090 GAME READY 551.86 64GB GSKILL DDR4 3200MHz JBL 9.1 Sound Bar DTS-X

francoistoen
Level 7
Yes I agree the best choice is a raid 0 with the 2 M2 SSD if you look for best configuration relative to speed. But it is not my problem because as soon that I use RST mode (to raid the M2) all my SATA drives aren't available at boot time. So i can't boot on a CD/DVDROM. It is stupid because all the motherboard I own before that one gave me access to sata drive for boot nevertheless the sata mode was AHCI or RST.
(For info I have a RAMPAGE IV EXTREME and there is no problem like this one)
Thanks for your answer
François