cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Black Screen after POST, Reboot then fine.

Beauzinga_1
Level 7
Hello,

I seem to be having an issue when booting up my computer from a shutdown state.

When the computer is in it’s shutdown state and then powered on, the computer will boot, POST and then start to load into Windows 10 when all of a sudden the display will lose signal but the computer will still be running. When I force shutdown and turn it on again it will boot into Windows 10 fine. (Please see attached video showing the issue.)

Please note: Nothing is overclocked everything is running a stock. BIOS Version 1603

Things that I have troubleshooted:

• Updated/Downgraded BIOS (New:1603 Old:1503)
  • Clear CMOS
  • Unplug/Plug Graphics Cards, Memory, SSD (M.2)
  • Updated/Downgraded Graphic Card Drivers
  • Clean Install of Windows 10 Pro
  • Used different display ports on the graphic card/ switched them around too.
  • Windows updated all installed
  • ASUS Drivers all installed

If anyone is able help or suggest anything that I have missed that would be greatly appreciated.

Computer Specifications:
Intel Core i7-7820X Skylake-X
ASUS X299 ROG Rampage VI Extreme
G.Skill TridentZ RGB 32GB
EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW2
EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW2
Samsung 960 EVO 250GB M.2 NVMe SSD (OS)
Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD (Games)
Corsair Digital ATX1200i
Windows 10™ Professional Edition
Acer Predator XB271HU 27” G-Sync IPS 2560x1440 @ 165Hz
21 REPLIES 21

Geekslayer wrote:
1. You don't really need CSM, unless you have a pre 2015 Nvidia/AMD card.
2. I'm assuming all drives are GPT partitions ?
3. Look under secure boot and select Windows UEFI, make sure other is not selected.
4. Have you tried installing windows on the other SSD ?
5. Maybe disable fast boot ?

Hey,

All 4 sticks are in the correct location and all switches are on their default settings. Both drives are GPT. Secure Boot Windows UEFI didn't work. Yes, my other SSD originally had Windows on it. Disabling Fast boot didn't work too.
It's got to do with the M.2 DIMM.2 Card because once I remove it problem goes away and it can't be a dead Expansion card because it works after I reboot (like in the video). I think it's either Windows 10 install or something I need to change it BIOS?

Never had issues until I decided to put another SSD using the DIMM.2 expansion card.*

Geekslayer
Level 7
7. Are your ram sticks in the right slots ? (light grey if you have 4 sticks of ram)

Sorry, I missed your video card specs. I'm tired and a little punchy.

Geekslayer
Level 7
I would also check all the switches on the board, maybe you accidentally moved one. Look on page 1-10/1-13 in the manual for defaults.

SirWaWa
Level 7
check boot order in bios

SirWaWa wrote:
check boot order in bios

Boot order is correct (see my screenshot post) Thank you though.

UPDATE:

So I did a clean Install of Windows 10 including all the windows updates but did not install any ASUS drivers and everything was working perfectly. But then I started to install drivers one at a time and tested them after each install, it turns out that the ‘Samsung NVM Express Driver 3.0’ driver that you download from their website causes the boot issue.

Is installing this driver a must? Does anyone else use this driver?

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Beauzinga wrote:
UPDATE:

So I did a clean Install of Windows 10 including all the windows updates but did not install any ASUS drivers and everything was working perfectly. But then I started to install drivers one at a time and tested them after each install, it turns out that the ‘Samsung NVM Express Driver 3.0’ driver that you download from their website causes the boot issue.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

it's not a must, instead win10 will just default to the ms nvme one
you'll generally get better performance using the manufacturers nvme
I use the intel nvme since I have an intel drive

maybe upgrade the nvme's firmware?

Beauzinga wrote:
UPDATE:

Thoughts?

Thanks,

You do not need the Samsung driver. NVMe has been native to the Windows OS since 8.1 I think. This has been argued a lot but in the end the results tell you what you need to know. run the same bench on each several times then compare. They are both within a margin of error and swap back and forth on which comes out on top.

I chose not to use the Samsung drivers, 1TB 960 pro

Samsung drivers

Windows native drivers

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
You do not need the Samsung driver. NVMe has been native to the Windows OS since 8.1 I think. This has been argued a lot but in the end the results tell you what you need to know. run the same bench on each several times then compare. They are both within a margin of error and swap back and forth on which comes out on top.

I chose not to use the Samsung drivers, 1TB 960 pro

Samsung drivers

Windows native drivers

Hey,

Thanks for the reply. I’ve decided to do the same and just use the Windows drivers for now. I have read that others are doing the same.*

Samsung 970 EVO 250GB (OS)
Samsung 970 EVO 2TB (Games)

🙂 *