cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bios 3301 Availability / Install problems

Super_Gnome
Level 11
Anyone else have trouble with getting their hands on this BIos?

In my case I downloaded it and copied the file to a USB stick, the same as always. Then I used the renamer, same as always. Then I plugged the drive in and went to the BIos. Then from the Bios the "Tool" installer would not see the file on the drive--hence I had to install via the Internet. However, via the Internet, it auto installed 3201 vs 3301, sigh.

I also have a Crosshair 8 Formula, and do the exact same thing, and have no problem getting the latest Bios via a USB drive. Also, oddly, with the Crosshair I cannot download any Bioses via the Internet, but with the R6EO that is not a problem--using the exact same steps (albeit it installs only out of date Bioses).

What the... I am confused.

And yeah, you can flash it via the back panel, but the process is kind of a hassle.
2,800 Views
11 REPLIES 11

Riicckk
Level 7
Yer, always do bios flashback from the back panel. The safest way. Never from EZ flash or internet: asking for trouble......

Riicckk wrote:
Yer, always do bios flashback from the back panel. The safest way. Never from EZ flash or internet: asking for trouble......


Really, huh? Is this the concensus? You say, "the safest way?" This is not to challenge this idea or you and who you are, but who is saying this? And why?

In my case I find it easy to do if from the Bios, and do not use EZ Flash. The instructions in the manual for doing it from the back panel are extremely poor and so I find that process to be difficult and hard get right. I have literally done it with my R6EO motherboard after half a dozen attempts only, and because of my setup with the flashing button hard to see and having to lean way over and with a lot of cables etc. find it a real pain. Also, doing the exact same process with my Crosshair 8 Formula simply does not work, and has never worked, even after a full hour of attempts.

I do not have any Asus software installed outside of the Bios. As for doing it from the Internet, the Bios tool for updating will not work properly via a USB stick. The Bios tool for my R6EO does not see the USB stick for some reason--while on my C8F, it works fast and easy.

Anyhow, thanks for your reply. I think anytime Asus is involved on the software side, there are bound to be a lot of headaches no matter what you do.

Super Gnome wrote:
Really, huh? Is this the concensus? You say, "the safest way?" This is not to challenge this idea or you and who you are, but who is saying this? And why?

In my case I find it easy to do if from the Bios, and do not use EZ Flash. The instructions in the manual for doing it from the back panel are extremely poor and so I find that process to be difficult and hard get right. I have literally done it with my R6EO motherboard after half a dozen attempts only, and because of my setup with the flashing button hard to see and having to lean way over and with a lot of cables etc. find it a real pain. Also, doing the exact same process with my Crosshair 8 Formula simply does not work, and has never worked, even after a full hour of attempts.

I do not have any Asus software installed outside of the Bios. As for doing it from the Internet, the Bios tool for updating will not work properly via a USB stick. The Bios tool for my R6EO does not see the USB stick for some reason--while on my C8F, it works fast and easy.

Anyhow, thanks for your reply. I think anytime Asus is involved on the software side, there are bound to be a lot of headaches no matter what you do.


Not difficult at all; very easy. Safest way. Takes 5min tops on my Omega. Google for flashing method. And you an Orange belt. Ha!

G75rog
Level 10
Downloaded, renamed and copied to USB in Bios slot. Shut machine down, pushed button until flashing and took a break while loading. Damned difficult procedure, required thought.

Super_Gnome
Level 11
Well, sorry. My Crosshair VIII Formula just doesnt work when you do that. The R6EO does, but the C8F just does not seem to function properly. Sigh. I spent an hour trying and it would not work. I did the exact same procedure with both rigs and it worked for the one, but just would not work for the other.

Also, the back of my rigs are hard to access because of my setup. Maybe you don't understand.

cekeu
Level 12
Super Gnome wrote:
Anyone else have trouble with getting their hands on this BIos?

In my case I downloaded it and copied the file to a USB stick, the same as always. Then I used the renamer, same as always. Then I plugged the drive in and went to the BIos. Then from the Bios the "Tool" installer would not see the file on the drive--hence I had to install via the Internet. However, via the Internet, it auto installed 3201 vs 3301, sigh.

I also have a Crosshair 8 Formula, and do the exact same thing, and have no problem getting the latest Bios via a USB drive. Also, oddly, with the Crosshair I cannot download any Bioses via the Internet, but with the R6EO that is not a problem--using the exact same steps (albeit it installs only out of date Bioses).

What the... I am confused.

And yeah, you can flash it via the back panel, but the process is kind of a hassle.


If you use the easy flash utility in the BIOS to upgrade to the new bios then you should not rename this bios. Rename it is only required to use the flashback bios on the rear panel. if it is not a modded bios

cekeu wrote:
Rename it is only required to use the flashback bios on the rear panel.


Hmm... Interesting. I will try that next time. Renaming works fine with the Crosshair 8 Formula in the front panel. It is different with an R6EO?

Riicckk wrote:
Not difficult at all; very easy. Safest way. Takes 5min tops on my Omega. Google for flashing method. And you an Orange belt. Ha!


It is a physical problem. I have to move a ton of stuff to access the back panel. That would take half an hour to an hour. The front panel works fine with the Crosshair 8 Formula. Why it does not work with the R6EO the same way is puzzling.

Regarding being an Orange Belt. I often help people when I know how something works, and if they like the help and choose to appreciate my help, I get a rep boost. I take time out of my day to help others--and some people appreciate that. I do not laugh at others when something that works with one system does not work with a near identical other system. I do not work in the tech industry either. Have a nice day. 😄

G75rog
Level 10
I keep a small FAT formatted USB stick set aside just for bios updates. It is USB 2.0, slow, and works every time. You could install an extension cable on the update port to make it accessable.

It's not the motherboard's fault you can't access the back panel. Complain to the engineer that designed the physical install.

G75rog wrote:
It's not the motherboard's fault you can't access the back panel. Complain to the engineer that designed the physical install.


I am not blaming anyone. What I do not understand is how the software works properly in one system, but not in the other. The instructions for flashing from the back panel are poor. And, despite this, I have done the procedure in my R6EO. However, that same procedure does not work for the Crosshair 8 Formula.

It is not an ideal world. Ideally, you could flash from the front panel the same way you do from the back. Also, ideally, you would have the options to update your Bios in any way you choose, without the glitches that are ever present and pervasive across nearly all Asus software. If you have never had problems with Asus software, you would be very fortunate. I have been using Asus hardware for years, and have absolutely always had problems with the software--as have countless others. If you don't believe me look at all the posts made on a daily basis about problems with Asus software!!

In fact, I have removed all software from my systems but that which is necessary. It is all bloatware in my view. However, in the case of a Bios, I know of no way around using what Asus provides. Not only that, the instructions in Asus manuals are often extremely poor. English is not that hard to get right, but, as with Asus software, something that should be simple is made complicated for the user by a needless lack of insight. Is it really hard for a proofreader and/or manual writer to take a few moments to get the instructions right and easy for the reader to follow? No, it is not--much in the same way it is for a programmer to envision the user experience. But then we can't all be Steve Jobs, can we? Maybe not, but Asus gets very low marks when it comes to software quality and clarity of instructions.

Again, have a nice day. And feel free to criticize as you see fit. It makes no difference to me.