cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BIOS 3105 for X299 mobos - has anyone tried that ?

klosz007
Level 9
Hi,

ASUS has released this new version for a couple of X299 mobos (I have X299-Deluxe) recently.
After upgrading from version 3006, massive issues began for me with this release.

Mobo wouldn't complete POST, stopping at Q-code '31' or 'BD', with 'Memory Detect' on OLED display.
I thought I had killed it completely because flashback to previous 3006 and/or resetting CMOS wasn't helping at all.
But that was partially my mistake - I was presssing MemOK! button rather than Clear CMOS 🙂 So in fact I wasn't resetting CMOS.

After having realized that and resetting CMOS settings properly, mobo booted up fine on BIOS 3105, allowed me to enter BIOS settings, make changes, save and exit.
But then, on another POST attempt, it again stopped with 'BD' Q-code/'Memory Detect' message. It all happened on CPU (i7-7820X) and DRAM (G.Skill TridentZ RGB 4x8GB) that I have been using for past 3 years with no issues, on multiple BIOS releases...
I also tried Corsair Vengeance RGB set, same thing. I also tried new i9-10920X, same thing.
After a couple of attempts to resolve it, I gave up.

I then flashed back to 3006, reset CMOS settings and then everything returned to normal.

BIOS 3105 introduces new Intel CPU microcode (02006906 rather than 02000060 used in 3006) and I think it's may be the source of the issue.

Local ASUS customer support wasn't very helpful. Their advice was to try different memory set (which I already did) or send mobo back to purchese point for warranrty claim/RMA'ing to ASUS.

Thanks
40 REPLIES 40

hiryu
Level 8
3105 has broke Wake On Lan on my Rampage VI Extreme. Is anyone else having that experience?

WoL still works on my RVIE Encore box though (I updated both boxes to their latest BIOS versions yesterday).

Super_Gnome
Level 11
Thinking it would make for less problems (after almost a year of no problems [Feb 2019 to Feb 2020], then six months of loads of BSODs with 0802 [starting around Feb 2020] and issues with 3006 that had my CPU cores super hot and overclocked at default and idle [hence had to revert to 0802]) I thought 3105 would finally be the fix. Well, two days in, and after setting the memory and fans in the Bios, my R6 Extreme Omega +9980xe + Corsair 2666 MHz memory (everything on the QVL list) I've been having repeated choppy game play in group content when playing World of Warcraft (online multiplayer). All else is fine (see photo below) but it's as if the system is downloading something at the same time (and it's not), or a virus scan is going on (and it's not) and/or some very heavy program is running in the background (and it's not). Like an 18 core Intel processor can't handle what an AMD 16 core processor can with ease? The game settings are set to low, and yes it is 4k, but the FPS has been limited to 30. Sigh.

Back to collecting dust (again) for my overpriced box (arg!). This is not to rant or complain, but it's extremely annoying.

Anyone else having this issue (choppy gameplay)?

Here's the photo (everything "looks" fine):

A few days ago I installed a new bios version (3105) for the ASUS STRIX X299-E GAMING motherboard. I have noticed a marked decrease in computer performance. Below I am attaching screenshots from versions 3006 and 3105 for comparison.

Motherboard BIOS settings without overclocking:
xmp profile for RAM @ CL16,1T
cpu stock / auto
voltage stock / auto

Settings in the motherboard bios with slight overclocking
xmp profile for RAM @ CL16,1T
cpu all cores @ 4600 MHz, avx @ 4000 MHz, avx512 @ 3800 MHz
voltage stock / auto

My configuration:
Intel i7 7820x processor
RAM memory G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 4 x 16 GB 3600 MHz 17-19-19-39-2T 1.350V @ 3600 MHz 16-19-19-39-1T 1.350V
CPU cooler Scythe Fuma 2

SirWaWa
Level 7
I updated X299-XE to 3105. After the update my windows m.2 disk drive is no longer disk 0 but now disk 4. My sata ssd drives are now disk 0-3. Boot order boots M.2_1 first than the sata ssd's. How do I get m.2_1 back to disk 0?

I disconnected the 4 sata ssd's and it does read m.2_1 as disk 0. Soon as I plug them back in it read disk m.2_1 as disk 4.

Is there a bios setting a need to change?

lLegendaary
Level 9
Everything working fine with x299 Omega .. performance same Gskill rams

lLegendaary wrote:
Everything working fine with x299 Omega .. performance same Gskill rams

Me too, actually. I had a couple days of choppy group game play last week, and a little more of the same while using Discord yesterday, but otherwise all seems to be working fine with R6EO + 9980xe + Corsair 2666 MHz ram.

gamingarena
Level 7
I switched from 7980xe to 10980xe with 3105 Bios and now the TSX instructions are missing, anyone knows how to enable the TSX back on? i tried 3006 same thing TSX are disabled, wont let me flash 2002 bios. Can you guys with 10980xe and 3006/3105 check you TSX instructions and let me know if they are missing? Asus Rampage VI Apex

gamingarena wrote:
I switched from 7980xe to 10980xe with 3105 Bios and now the TSX instructions are missing, anyone knows how to enable the TSX back on? i tried 3006 same thing TSX are disabled, wont let me flash 2002 bios. Can you guys with 10980xe and 3006/3105 check you TSX instructions and let me know if they are missing? Asus Rampage VI Apex

Looks like fixed my own problem i managed to flash back the 2002 bios, first official 10980xe bios and now TSX is back and working, any bios after 2002 will disabled TSX instructions, which for something like RPCS3 PS3 emulator can have as much as 40% penalty without TSX instructions, personally tested it.

Prime X299 Deluxe II + 10900X
Haven't noticed any issues compared to 3006 yet (upgraded a week ago).
He who invokes history is always secure.
The dead will not rise to witness against him.

You can accuse them of any deeds you like.
Their reply will always be silence.

gamingarena wrote:
Looks like fixed my own problem i managed to flash back the 2002 bios, first official 10980xe bios and now TSX is back and working, any bios after 2002 will disabled TSX instructions, which for something like RPCS3 PS3 emulator can have as much as 40% penalty without TSX instructions, personally tested it.

cpu-z with 3105 detects TSX

anyways, anyone running m.2 and sata drives and the OS is the m.2 drive? what drive number is your m.2? is it 0 or non-zero.