cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beware of Fall Creators Update with a ASUS x299 MOB & Samsung NVMe SSD

Superbowl
Level 7
Lots of people, including myself, are having big problems trying to update Windows 10 to the Fall Creators Update. We all get error message 0xc00000bb when trying to reboot to install the FCU. It seems as though almost all the people have the same thing in common: ASUS X299 MOB, a Samsung NVMe SSD, and lots of us also seem to have SATA drives with the SSD. See here from the Microsoft Technet Users Forum with the URL below. Lots of people having the same issue. Can ASUS, Samsung or Microsoft put out some sort of fix for this so we can all update ?

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/08485ba0-f69f-483b-861e-238f161dabee/problem-with-...
172 REPLIES 172

Brighttail wrote:
I cheated and took out my samsung drives when I was benchmarking them in the new Rampage 6 Extreme. No issues upgrading LOL. I'll see hot it goes for a full, fresh install instead of an update on a Samsung pro 960.

There doesn't seem to be an issue with a clean install. Some have even reported using an install USB and doing a repair install/leave file and folders.

Im too far into it with a full day getting software and drivers installed, dont feel like doing it all again if I dont have to.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

Menthol
Level 14
I had the update fail on my IX Apex, updating from a USB worked fine here

mpoffo
Level 10
I tried installing it twice and both times it caused my computer to not restart or shut down without using the physical buttons. Tried all kinds of settings including power options, selective start-up, clean boot, etc. and it was a no go. I did not try a clean install but I didn't want to deal with it now. So this update is postponed on my computer for now. Hopefully they will address issues and perhaps when I feel like doing a clean install I will try it.= again.
RVIE X299 System:
Windows 10 Prof 64-bit | Intel Core i9 7900x | ASUS Rampage VI Extreme | Corsair AX 1200i PSU
Corsair 900D | 32 GB 3200 G.SKILL Trident RGB Series | RTX 3090/EVGA GTX 1080 | Acer X34 Predator Monitor
Samsung 840 PRO 256 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | Intel 520 SATA SSD 240GB HD | 2 & 4 TB WD Black Hard Drive
Creative Sound Blaster Z | Logitech THX 5.1 speaker setup

mpoffo wrote:
I tried installing it twice and both times it caused my computer to not restart or shut down without using the physical buttons. Tried all kinds of settings including power options, selective start-up, clean boot, etc. and it was a no go. I did not try a clean install but I didn't want to deal with it now. So this update is postponed on my computer for now. Hopefully they will address issues and perhaps when I feel like doing a clean install I will try it.= again.

Clearly anybody who has a Samsung SSD and SATA drives cannot take this update without a clean install. Hopefully as Microsoft pushes the update out more and more they will get more and more feedback so they issue a fix. The Samsung SSD and SATA drive combo has to be a popular setup. Let’s hope they issue a fix I have no plans to go through the bother of a clean install.

here was no solution? also a problem

Superbowl wrote:
Clearly anybody who has a Samsung SSD and SATA drives cannot take this update without a clean install. Hopefully as Microsoft pushes the update out more and more they will get more and more feedback so they issue a fix. The Samsung SSD and SATA drive combo has to be a popular setup. Let’s hope they issue a fix I have no plans to go through the bother of a clean install.

I did the Fall Creators Update vers 1709 a few days ago with no problems, and with Samsung 960 Pro NVMe and Samsung 850 Pro SSD, both on a R5E. Might be the x299, or maybe other software people have installed causing problems with the update. The FCU 1709 did force me to re-create my backup tasks in Acronis True Image. Something to do with the fact that FCU 1709 creates new GUID identifiers for disk partitions, not just boot/system partitions but simple data partitions too. FCU 1709 also created a new larger Windows Recovery Partition.

R5Eandme wrote:
I did the Fall Creators Update vers 1709 a few days ago with no problems, and with Samsung 960 Pro NVMe and Samsung 850 Pro SSD, both on a R5E. Might be the x299, or maybe other software people have installed causing problems with the update. The FCU 1709 did force me to re-create my backup tasks in Acronis True Image. Something to do with the fact that FCU 1709 creates new GUID identifiers for disk partitions, not just boot/system partitions but simple data partitions too. FCU 1709 also created a new larger Windows Recovery Partition.

Great, please post those results in the X99 section to keep the confusion down.

This is specific to X299 chipsets by all manufacturers and NVMe drives. Works fine on SATA SSDs

The list at M$ is growing...........

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/08485ba0-f69f-483b-861e-238f161dabee/problem-with-...

Id doubt they do back flips over making it right with this market share is its so small.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

So basically if you have an X299 MOB and a Samsung SSD with a SATA drive you are basically screwed by Microsoft. Either do a clean install and start over, or no upgrade to FCU. Does anyone think Microsoft will ever release a fix for this ? They will have countless complaints once they start massively sending out this upgrade. Does anyone think there will ever be a fix ?

Superbowl wrote:
So basically if you have an X299 MOB and a Samsung SSD with a SATA drive you are basically screwed by Microsoft. Either do a clean install and start over, or no upgrade to FCU. Does anyone think Microsoft will ever release a fix for this ? They will have countless complaints once they start massively sending out this upgrade. Does anyone think there will ever be a fix ?

Yes, No, Maybe???
Think is x299 is a TINY part of the market share. They will be working on bigger issues that effect more people first.

You can get it over through cloning but in all honesty hind sight being 20/20 I wish I had just done a clean install. Would have been easier and less time consuming. Even people on other platforms are having issues of having to systematically go through and uninstall, clean registry then reinstall apps. Like I said, if you have to go through all that its easier just to save your files then start all over fresh.

I see Samsung just put out a new driver for the Samsung 960 Pro. Looking at the number this is the FCU driver. The old driver was 2.2.0.1703 and the new driver is 2.3.0.1709. Since the FCU is 1709 and the old windows is 1703 apparently this is the FCU driver. Has anyone tried or care to test out the new driver to see if you can now upgrade to the FCU with an update instead of a clean install ?