cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beware of Fall Creators Update with a ASUS x299 MOB & Samsung NVMe SSD

Superbowl
Level 7
Lots of people, including myself, are having big problems trying to update Windows 10 to the Fall Creators Update. We all get error message 0xc00000bb when trying to reboot to install the FCU. It seems as though almost all the people have the same thing in common: ASUS X299 MOB, a Samsung NVMe SSD, and lots of us also seem to have SATA drives with the SSD. See here from the Microsoft Technet Users Forum with the URL below. Lots of people having the same issue. Can ASUS, Samsung or Microsoft put out some sort of fix for this so we can all update ?

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/08485ba0-f69f-483b-861e-238f161dabee/problem-with-...
172 REPLIES 172

The media creation tool will grab the latest build, which will install as the FCU version anyway and thus bypass all this.

TheSpearman wrote:
The media creation tool will grab the latest build, which will install as the FCU version anyway and thus bypass all this.
What does it mean "bypass all this..."?

giovag7 wrote:
What does it mean "bypass all this..."?

This thread is about the issue with installing FCU as an update, you're doing it as a clean install.

TheSpearman wrote:
This thread is about the issue with installing FCU as an update, you're doing it as a clean install.
I can't do a Clean install. On my Asus N752 Fcu update fail during reboot. There are some news about this issue? My notebook use an ssd 960 evo pciexpress nvme M2...

giovag7 wrote:
I can't do a Clean install. On my Asus N752 Fcu update fail during reboot. There are some news about this issue? My notebook use an ssd 960 evo pciexpress nvme M2...

If you're not doing a clean install, then you're stuck like the rest of us. There's still no promised fix from Asus or a workaround from MS. The only alternative is a clean install or more heavy handed things like cloning to a SATA disk, upate that, then clone back to the NVMe disk.

TheSpearman wrote:
If you're not doing a clean install, then you're stuck like the rest of us. There's still no promised fix from Asus or a workaround from MS. The only alternative is a clean install or more heavy handed things like cloning to a SATA disk, upate that, then clone back to the NVMe disk.

Tried that. Utter failure. Update failed, and Windows Boot Manager was then apparently permanently confused about which drive it should be trying to boot into. Eventually I stopped being able to boot at all. Had to do a flashback to even be able to boot into BIOS. I guess it managed to corrupt the BIOS itself somehow. I had to reinstall Windows at that point, but I didn't have a up-to-date copy of Windows, just my original install, so even though I did have to do a clean install, I still don't have a damned updated version.

And the MCT USB version uses an old version of WIndows, pre-FCU. Actually a build from 2016, 1607, I think. The ISO version pulls a fully up to date version, but I haven't had the energy to use it yet. I just don't want to have to go through all of that again. Still hoping for a patch by the end of the month. If not by then, we'll see.

Still no feedback that Microsoft has a solution for the problem. Just more "we are working on it". Does look like he Asus 1004 bios helped some people but not all. Link to thread:

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Windows-10/1703-gt-1709-BSOD-0xc00000bb-on-devices-with-NVMe-...

Michael Niehaus replied to Steven Rodriguez ‎12-13-2017 11:58 AM
The basic problem: Memory fragmentation during system initialization forces IO buffers into high memory. So yes, the hardware in the system has a definite impact on that fragmentation (each device reserves an address range).

While we have provided details about the issue to ASUS, we are not aware of what they changed in the 1004 firmware.

Thanks,

-Michael

I believe a windows update corrupted the Samsung 960 Pro M.2 driver that resulted in a bsod "Inaccessible Drive" stop. (this is after the FCU but with the same Hardware)

I had to restore to a restore point, pause the windows update service. I then downloaded directly from Samsung the update and ran it in repair mode. After a restart, I re-enabled the windows update service.

I am curious if this corruption is hitting other people as well?

Thanks

Has anyone tried with the new 1102 BIOS from ASUS?

icravecookies wrote:
I believe a windows update corrupted the Samsung 960 Pro M.2 driver that resulted in a bsod "Inaccessible Drive" stop. (this is after the FCU but with the same Hardware)

I had to restore to a restore point, pause the windows update service. I then downloaded directly from Samsung the update and ran it in repair mode. After a restart, I re-enabled the windows update service.

I am curious if this corruption is hitting other people as well?

Thanks

Honestly after the last driver fiasco I just go with the Windows native NMVe drivers. never had an issue again after that.
Intel Core i9 103900KS
Asus Maximus Z790 Extreme [bios 1801]
LG (34U97-s) Monitor 3440 x1440
Nvidia RTX 3090 FE
Windows 11 Pro
64gbz Memory