cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beware of Fall Creators Update with a ASUS x299 MOB & Samsung NVMe SSD

Superbowl
Level 7
Lots of people, including myself, are having big problems trying to update Windows 10 to the Fall Creators Update. We all get error message 0xc00000bb when trying to reboot to install the FCU. It seems as though almost all the people have the same thing in common: ASUS X299 MOB, a Samsung NVMe SSD, and lots of us also seem to have SATA drives with the SSD. See here from the Microsoft Technet Users Forum with the URL below. Lots of people having the same issue. Can ASUS, Samsung or Microsoft put out some sort of fix for this so we can all update ?

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/08485ba0-f69f-483b-861e-238f161dabee/problem-with-...
172 REPLIES 172

I used media creation tool to download Windows 10 and create a bootable USB drive. How do I know if what I have on the stick is 1709 (FCU)? There was no statement or indication which version I downloaded.

pgrey wrote:
Yeah the 960 problem is a UEFI/boot issue, happens much earlier than the "start button" ;-]

Have you tried the "semi-reset" under Windows Defender? It saves your user data (but make a BACKUP FIRST, just-in-case), and resets "some" of the apps, you only really have to re-install the non-store apps, and then do some config. I have a pretty complex dev machine at home, and it took me maybe 2-3 hours to "recover", fully, after one of these, well-worth it, if things are getting "weird"...
Not saying I know this fixes your problem, but it tends to fix most "odd user" and similar issues like this, because it resets the whole "stack".

I went through the five most recommended (apparently) solutions again, one at a time with no success. Until...I rolled back my AMD video drivers to the previous version. Creating a new user finally appeared to work--under the new user login only--but none of my installed games appeared on the desktop like they did on my original user, and I couldn't access my networked drives that were mapped under the original user.

In some ways the system gets to the desktop faster than before and (so far) the start button is still working. We'll see if that holds true tomorrow.

JustinThyme
Level 13
I go the same error last night. Thankfully after a few tries it reverted back so I didnt have to go through the trouble of the rest.
Running 2x 1TB 960 pros in the DIMM.2 and two 1TB 850 evos in raid 0. Using the windows driver for NVMe as I find no use in the Samsung driver.

Ive paused the updates so I dont get any more sneak attacks.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
I go the same error last night. Thankfully after a few tries it reverted back so I didnt have to go through the trouble of the rest.
Running 2x 1TB 960 pros in the DIMM.2 and two 1TB 850 evos in raid 0. Using the windows driver for NVMe as I find no use in the Samsung driver.

Ive paused the updates so I dont get any more sneak attacks.

I'd give it a try with the new driver and or without Sata drives attached to the system. Should be real easy to simply unplug them for an update.
Panteks Enthoo Elite / Asus x299 Rampage VI Extreme / Intel I9-7900X / Corsair Dominator RGB 3200MHz

MSI GTX 1080 TI / 2x Intel 900p / Samsung 970 Pro 512GB

Samsung 850 PRO 512GB / Western Digital Gold 8TB HD

Corsair AX 1200i / Corsair Platinum K95 / Asus Chakram

Acer XB321HK 4k, IPS, G-sync Monitor / Water Cooled / Asus G571JT Laptop

Brighttail wrote:
I'd give it a try with the new driver and or without Sata drives attached to the system. Should be real easy to simply unplug them for an update.

honestly I’m working just fine as is. They will get it fixed shortly Im sure. Not important enough to jump through hoops, stand on my head and recite the sound of music while clicking ruby red slippers to get it installed. I was running the fast lane insiders and there really isn’t anything in the release that jumps off the page making it a must have. *

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

Beto556
Level 9
Samsung has released a new driver

http://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/download/tools.html

Try to install this before new WIN upgrade

Beto556 wrote:
Samsung has released a new driver

http://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/download/tools.html

Try to install this before new WIN upgrade

I have had that 2.2 driver for a while. I don't think it is the driver. Several people over at the Microsoft forum tried the windows NVMe driver instead of the Samsung driver and the error message still occurs.

Superbowl wrote:
I have had that 2.2 driver for a while. I don't think it is the driver. Several people over at the Microsoft forum tried the windows NVMe driver instead of the Samsung driver and the error message still occurs.

Hey all... I'm wondering if the easier way is to install the update as part of a full OS reinstall?

Does Microsoft have an ISO of the most current Windows 10 pro that includes this update? I haven't found anything so far.

EDIT... NM I found the update tool and am downloading it.
Panteks Enthoo Elite / Asus x299 Rampage VI Extreme / Intel I9-7900X / Corsair Dominator RGB 3200MHz

Korth
Level 14
Hell, I still haven't accepted that "Get Windows 10" invitation on some of my machines. Forgot to remove the gwx update before I cloned the image, lol.

Seems I missed out on several generations of broken drivers, shucks.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Korth wrote:
Hell, I still haven't accepted that "Get Windows 10" invitation on some of my machines. Forgot to remove the gwx update before I cloned the image, lol.

Seems I missed out on several generations of broken drivers, shucks.

I cheated and took out my samsung drives when I was benchmarking them in the new Rampage 6 Extreme. No issues upgrading LOL. I'll see hot it goes for a full, fresh install instead of an update on a Samsung pro 960.