cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beware of Fall Creators Update with a ASUS x299 MOB & Samsung NVMe SSD

Superbowl
Level 7
Lots of people, including myself, are having big problems trying to update Windows 10 to the Fall Creators Update. We all get error message 0xc00000bb when trying to reboot to install the FCU. It seems as though almost all the people have the same thing in common: ASUS X299 MOB, a Samsung NVMe SSD, and lots of us also seem to have SATA drives with the SSD. See here from the Microsoft Technet Users Forum with the URL below. Lots of people having the same issue. Can ASUS, Samsung or Microsoft put out some sort of fix for this so we can all update ?

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/08485ba0-f69f-483b-861e-238f161dabee/problem-with-...
172 REPLIES 172

G75rog wrote:
R6 Apex, 7900x here with 3 960 Pro's on Dimms and no Sata. "Windows setup is unable to configure your hardware" "Restoring previous Windows"

The FCU definitely seems to be having all sorts of problems with the Samsung 960 Pros when one is the boot drive. I hope Microsoft fixes it at some point.

SGMRock
Level 9
I have a 960 Pro but its not the boot drive I put all the games I'm currently playing on it. I have a SanDisk Extreme Pro SATA as my boot SSD and I have a couple WD SATA HDD's drives for storage as well so I have a mix of drives, everything updated without issue.
Asus ROG Rampage VI Apex 2002 BIOS / Intel i9-7900X / G.Skill TridentZ RBG F4-3866C18Q-32GTZR 17-17-17-37
LG 38" 38GL950G-B Ultrawide / EVGA RTX 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra Hybrid/ Sound Blaster AE-5
Corsair H115i Pro CPU Cooler / EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2 / Corsair Arctic White T780 Case

SGMRock
Level 9
This could be a driver issue, what driver is everyone using? If your using the Samsung driver try uninstalling it and changing it to the windows default drivers before the update.
Asus ROG Rampage VI Apex 2002 BIOS / Intel i9-7900X / G.Skill TridentZ RBG F4-3866C18Q-32GTZR 17-17-17-37
LG 38" 38GL950G-B Ultrawide / EVGA RTX 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra Hybrid/ Sound Blaster AE-5
Corsair H115i Pro CPU Cooler / EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2 / Corsair Arctic White T780 Case

SGMRock wrote:
This could be a driver issue, what driver is everyone using? If your using the Samsung driver try uninstalling it and changing it to the windows default drivers before the update.

I am using the Samsung driver. I have heard a few people who are using the windows driver, and still could not upgrade. The weird part to me seems that it is the ASUS MOB and Samsung Pro 960 combo only that seems to be causing the problem.

My R5E is having the dreaded Start Button problems after the FCU update. I've tried all five of the most common "solutions" and none of them work. Added a new user, which took 25-30 minutes, and the problem went away for that user, and upon logging out and back in as the original user, the start button worked again. But on a subsequent restart it stopped working again--for both users. Editing the registry worked for a single session, but again, a restart killed the start button again. Anyone have a "guaranteed" solution? Hope I don't have the same issues when I get the R6E up and running. BTW, R5E has 960 Pro as boot drive in MB NVme slot.

GEEKCPA wrote:
My R5E is having the dreaded Start Button problems after the FCU update. I've tried all five of the most common "solutions" and none of them work. Added a new user, which took 25-30 minutes, and the problem went away for that user, and upon logging out and back in as the original user, the start button worked again. But on a subsequent restart it stopped working again--for both users. Editing the registry worked for a single session, but again, a restart killed the start button again. Anyone have a "guaranteed" solution? Hope I don't have the same issues when I get the R6E up and running. BTW, R5E has 960 Pro as boot drive in MB NVme slot.

Yeah the 960 problem is a UEFI/boot issue, happens much earlier than the "start button" ;-]

Have you tried the "semi-reset" under Windows Defender? It saves your user data (but make a BACKUP FIRST, just-in-case), and resets "some" of the apps, you only really have to re-install the non-store apps, and then do some config. I have a pretty complex dev machine at home, and it took me maybe 2-3 hours to "recover", fully, after one of these, well-worth it, if things are getting "weird"...
Not saying I know this fixes your problem, but it tends to fix most "odd user" and similar issues like this, because it resets the whole "stack".

Just to be sure in the case of a reinstallation: No one has had issues with downloading the new .iso with the fall creators update version and installing it after a full wipe ?

atharos wrote:
Just to be sure in the case of a reinstallation: No one has had issues with downloading the new .iso with the fall creators update version and installing it after a full wipe ?

I did this last night and it installed perfect with no issues.

atharos wrote:

Is it recommended to download the ISO with the FCU and do a clean install on the R6E? Or is it better to install from the OEM CD and hope the "upgrade" to FCU doesn't trash the system? Is there a link to downloading the FCU ISO?

GEEKCPA wrote:
Is it recommended to download the ISO with the FCU and do a clean install on the R6E? Or is it better to install from the OEM CD and hope the "upgrade" to FCU doesn't trash the system? Is there a link to downloading the FCU ISO?

There is.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
You gotta visit it on a device with a non-windows browser Signature. Linux works best. Then, you get the download link for the iso file, and since the download is the newest version, you should be able to download the FCU version , select your language etc. Personally, I'd install it this way.