cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

asus rampage vi extreme ram problem

dandan112988
Level 7
Hello all. I'm having an issue with my computer. when I put 4 sticks of ram in for quad channel, the computer will randomly hard lock in stress tests, in games, and sometimes even when doing nothing. It runs fine with any combo of ram sticks ( to rule out a bad stick) with 3 in, but as soon as I put 4- i get hard lock ups. Is this a bad board, or bad ram? what does it sound like is the issue? Thank yoU!

Update- i just tested all 4 sticks running in all the 4 left slots for quad channel, instead of 2 left and 2 right for quad channel. its running fine now, quad channel- even for stress testing. So it seems maybe the ram is fine. In this case, does it sound like its a CPU issue or a motherboard issue? it seems like any time i put more than 1 stick on the right side in any slot, i have crash issues. I cant get it to run quad channel using 2 left and 2 right. Yes I checked the manual to make sure I get them in the correct slots for 4 way quad.

thank you for any help !
22 REPLIES 22

VGAglory
Level 8
Its interesting to see that on the original QVL for this motherboard it does verify that it supports 4 DIMMS in Dual Channel only:
"• 4 DIMMs: Supports 4 modules inserted into both the blue and black slots as two pairs of Dual-channel memory configuration"

I would be interested to know if anyone running 6/8 DIMMS has had any problems with Quad Channel as the same QVL suggests it DOES support 6/8 DIMMS in Quad Channel:
"• 6 DIMMs: Supports six (6) modules inserted into A1, B1, B2, C1, D1 and D2 slots that operates in a Quad-channel memory configurations.
• 8 DIMMs: Supports eight (8) modules inserted into all the slots as fully-loaded Quad-channel memory configurations."

trawetSluaP
Level 7
The last three or four BIOS revisions have meant when using for sticks of RAM in the quad channel slots (A1, B1, C1 and D1) my system refuses to post when I enable XMP.

I wonder if this issue is the cause. I am gonna try using the four left hand DIMM slots when I get home with XMP to see if it resolves the issue.

So strange. I've also been having weird complete system lock-ups which I thought might've been my GPU as they have been so intermittent but wonder if this issue is also the culprit!!!

EDIT: Unfortunately this has not fixed the issue. I still get Memory Detect Error's when trying to use the latest BIOS. Back to 2002.

Hopefully, at least moving the RAM sticks will prevent further lock-ups.

giorg
Level 7
I also have random freezes with Asus Rampage VI Extreme (not Encore/Omega/etc) at latest BIOS (3701), Intel i9-10980XE, and a kit of 4 matched 32GB modules (G.SKILL F4-2666C19Q-128GVK RIPJAWS V). At times they occur in less than 1 hour after boot. I tried with increasing RAM voltages, VCCSA, VCCIO, manually lowering RAM frequency instead of XMP, moving the RAM modules around (all to the left, at A1B1C1D1, etc), nothing has worked so far. Checking with a memtest86+ iso gives errors after a while, at 96GB mark. I hate this motherboard.

Would going for 8 RAM modules instead of 4 improve stability ?