cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

asus rampage vi extreme ram problem

dandan112988
Level 7
Hello all. I'm having an issue with my computer. when I put 4 sticks of ram in for quad channel, the computer will randomly hard lock in stress tests, in games, and sometimes even when doing nothing. It runs fine with any combo of ram sticks ( to rule out a bad stick) with 3 in, but as soon as I put 4- i get hard lock ups. Is this a bad board, or bad ram? what does it sound like is the issue? Thank yoU!

Update- i just tested all 4 sticks running in all the 4 left slots for quad channel, instead of 2 left and 2 right for quad channel. its running fine now, quad channel- even for stress testing. So it seems maybe the ram is fine. In this case, does it sound like its a CPU issue or a motherboard issue? it seems like any time i put more than 1 stick on the right side in any slot, i have crash issues. I cant get it to run quad channel using 2 left and 2 right. Yes I checked the manual to make sure I get them in the correct slots for 4 way quad.

thank you for any help !
22 REPLIES 22

VGAglory
Level 8
It seems at least according to CPU-Z that running 4 x DDR4 in either all left hand bank or right hand bank, means the memory is running Dual Channel and not Quad Channel?

Hey guys,

I have a total of 8 sticks with 8GB each and one of my RAM modules is dead.

I use the GSKILL F4-3200C16Q-32GTZR (Hynix) and apparently this faulty RAM stick will mess up my rig if I leave inside

If I put all the 8 sticks of RAM, i get like if am using 32GB of ram, if I leave the faulty RAM outside and I use only 7 of 8 sticks I get 56GB of RAM however I am not sure if I should leave an un even number of sticks inside so as a precaution I am only using 6 sticks of RAM for a total of 48GB.

My questions is: Can i use the other perfectly RAM stick?

Also, I am having issues trying to reach 3800 frequency, as I am currently running at 7900x at 4,7G

This is my configuration:

2: CPU input voltage : 1.990v
3: RAM frequency to 3460 - 3800 will not post.
4: tREFI is at 32767- No change there.
5: CPU VCCIO Voltage [1.15000]
DRAM Voltage(CHA, CHB) [1.5000]
DRAM Voltage(CHC, CHD) [1.5000]

Now, I have read here that some of you guys are bumping the VCCIO to 1.175, would be safe??

I am also getting confused in regards of the names.
CPU Input Voltage= VCCIO?

VCCIO 1.2100v and VCCA 1.175v

Please tell me which is which from the picture .

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gaxP0P2YcnqZmYmDmEd8hG13-pQT9mYF/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ldOYSjQgrY0jFWWAMgXsgT7K36CFDQo6/view?usp=sharing

Thank you all.

VGAglory wrote:
It seems at least according to CPU-Z that running 4 x DDR4 in either all left hand bank or right hand bank, means the memory is running Dual Channel and not Quad Channel?

yeah, I can confirm that it's not "just you" that have this issue.

Tried to get my R6E system stable with ram using an exhaustive list of fixes and the only one that worked was only using the left side memory slots period.

tried different RAMs:
- G.skill 3600 XMPs (Samsung die) all frequencies 3000, 3200, 3600, 2666 etc
- G.Skill 3200 XMPs (Hynix die) all frequencies 3000, 3200, 2666 etc tried and returned
- tried standard timings, XMP timings even tried to loosen up timings to silly levels just too see if that is an issue.

the thing is the system will just lock up randomly when ever: at idle at load does not matter.

went as high as even 1.41V (starting at 1.35 and worked up in increments)
even tried down clock the CPU to give more margins - same fail result

tried adjusting mesh/LLC voltages (yes cash is stable in AIDA64 for 24 hours stress)
tried:
VCCIO Voltage at 1.15V and up in increments
VCCSA Voltage at 1.10V and up in increments
CPU input voltage at 1.6V and up in increments
DRAM current capability at 140%
load level calibration at 3 and up to 7

tried all BIOS the last 12 months modded once and ASUS standard once - same issue.
even with just one single DRAM module on the right side and nothing else (and nothing on the left side), it will eventually get a lock up.

In the end the only thing that works is to keep all RAM on the left side and all of a sudden everything works: I can run XMP 3600 at tight timings. Voltages can be relaxed and everything OC's well and is 100% stable.

I've had the same CPU in an Rampage VI Extreme Encore with all 8 memory slots filled with the exact same DRAM modules for days without issue.

yeah it's R6E board issue.

ThrashZone
Level 10
Hi,
Only memory stick configuration options I show are 1-2-4-6-8 not 7 sticks.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

ThrashZone wrote:
Hi,
Only memory stick configuration options I show are 1-2-4-6-8 not 7 sticks.

You mean a pair of stick ram configuration but not an un even number like 7.

If so, no worries, will use 6 instead.

Also, as per the name VCCSA and VCCIO for the ones reading this and dont know what do they mean or how do they look within bios(took me a while to figure them out)

VCCSA= CPU SYSTEM AGENT VOLTAGE
VCCIO= CPU VCCIO VOLTAGE

Thanks

BigJohnny
Level 13
I’d be checking the CPU mount.*
I’ve run 2 different Corsair 8x8 kits with zero issues. Quad channel both sides
Both platinum kits 3800 CL19 running at CL 16 and 3600 CL18 RGB*running at 3800 CL16. *
Did you double check your Vram is set correctly and that mesh is stable?*

VGAglory
Level 8
Whats interesting about Quad Channel stability on this board, is if you take a look at the QVL dated 28/06/2019 from ASUS support site, it doesnt even list Quad Channel as being a valid possibility for 4 DIMMS:

• 1 DIMM: Supports one module inserted in any slot as Single-channel memory configuration
• 2 DIMMs: Supports one pair of modules inserted into eithor the blue slots or the black slots as one pair of Dual-channel memory configuration
• 4 DIMMs: Supports 4 modules inserted into both the blue and black slots as two pairs of Dual-channel memory configuration
• 6 DIMMs: Supports six (6) modules inserted into A1, B1, B2, C1, D1 and D2 slots that operates in a Quad-channel memory configurations.
• 8 DIMMs: Supports eight (8) modules inserted into all the slots as fully-loaded Quad-channel memory configurations.

A new QVL guide was posted 30/04/2020 which then does correct this statement to:

• 4 DIMM: Supports 4 modules inserted into both the A1, B1, C1, and D1 slots as one set of DIMMs operating in a quad-channel memory configuration
• 8 DIMM: Supports 8 modules inserted into all slots as two sets DIMMs operating in a quad-channel memory configuration

This release of the QVL seems to coincide with the release of new gen i9 processors.

I myself have tried several 4 stick memory sets with my RVIE and i9 7960x combination and never EVER got quad channel stable.

As per my previous posts I have to run 4xmodules in the left bank as 2 x Quad Channel.

A real quirky motherboard.

I can also state i have been having insane amounts of ram problems running RAM on the right side. Now i have not tried more than 4 DIMM slots, but i can say for sure i get constant blue screens populating the right side at all.

I have using g.skill 3200 c14 ( samsung b die ) trident rgb ram.

Unless they are on the left side, im screwed.

CPU 7980xe
asus rampage vi extreme

VGAglory
Level 8
Was hoping that the new BIOS 3105 release would fix my quad channel RAM issue. (Never have been able to get Quad Channel on this board stable). However for all those having issues, I have managed to migrate from the left side slots, to running two on left, and two in right with one in grey slot and one in black slot. This runs DDR4 in triple channel mode, at least a small step up from the Dual Channel config on the left side! Has anyone ever managed to get Quad Channel stable on this board???

VGAglory wrote:
Was hoping that the new BIOS 3105 release would fix my quad channel RAM issue. (Never have been able to get Quad Channel on this board stable). However for all those having issues, I have managed to migrate from the left side slots, to running two on left, and two in right with one in grey slot and one in black slot. This runs DDR4 in triple channel mode, at least a small step up from the Dual Channel config on the left side! Has anyone ever managed to get Quad Channel stable on this board???

Interesting.
If you run with all 4 slots on the left side + and are now, with BIOS 3105, also able to have 1 DDR4 stick in the one of the rights side black slots and 1 DDR4 stick in one of the right side grey slots, you are actually running 3 channels IF the grey and black slots you pick are off of the same channel.

Question: On the right side , are you running the 2 DDR4 sticks in the C1+ C2 slots OR in the D1+ D2 slots or... (or even D1+C2 or D2+C1 - not recommended though but hey it it works i'm all in)?