cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

asus rampage vi extreme ram problem

dandan112988
Level 7
Hello all. I'm having an issue with my computer. when I put 4 sticks of ram in for quad channel, the computer will randomly hard lock in stress tests, in games, and sometimes even when doing nothing. It runs fine with any combo of ram sticks ( to rule out a bad stick) with 3 in, but as soon as I put 4- i get hard lock ups. Is this a bad board, or bad ram? what does it sound like is the issue? Thank yoU!

Update- i just tested all 4 sticks running in all the 4 left slots for quad channel, instead of 2 left and 2 right for quad channel. its running fine now, quad channel- even for stress testing. So it seems maybe the ram is fine. In this case, does it sound like its a CPU issue or a motherboard issue? it seems like any time i put more than 1 stick on the right side in any slot, i have crash issues. I cant get it to run quad channel using 2 left and 2 right. Yes I checked the manual to make sure I get them in the correct slots for 4 way quad.

thank you for any help !
22 REPLIES 22

G75rog
Level 10
Are the 4 sticks from a matched kit? If not this could be your problem or perhaps a bad connection from the CPU to the RAM sockets.
Are you trying to run OC?
Which MB?
Which RAM?

G75rog wrote:
Are the 4 sticks from a matched kit? If not this could be your problem or perhaps a bad connection from the CPU to the RAM sockets.
Are you trying to run OC?
Which MB?
Which RAM?

asus rampage vi extreme motherboard, newest bios.

ram is gskill trident z RGB 3200- its 8gb x 4 matching set from a kit.

problem happens with or without overclock. Runs perfectly fine if they are all on the left slot quad channel, running in quad verified by CPUZ. But any time I try to run 2 left 2 right, ( correct quad channel slots verified by manual) crashes happen, constantly and quickly.

Rob_W_
Level 12
Hi dandan have you set dram voltage 1.35v ( sometimes needs higher) also vccio try 1.2100v and vccsa 1.175v, it may help? But weird they run on one side only. GSkill run at higher volts.

ThrashZone
Level 10
Hi,
Post to the exact set of memory you have
Sounds like a dual channel set to me meaning only z-series boards on qvl list.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

rython
Level 7
dandan112988 wrote:

Update- i just tested all 4 sticks running in all the 4 left slots for quad channel, instead of 2 left and 2 right for quad channel. its running fine now, quad channel- even for stress testing. So it seems maybe the ram is fine. In this case, does it sound like its a CPU issue or a motherboard issue? it seems like any time i put more than 1 stick on the right side in any slot, i have crash issues. I cant get it to run quad channel using 2 left and 2 right. Yes I checked the manual to make sure I get them in the correct slots for 4 way quad.

thank you for any help !

It happens to a lot of people including me. Putting 4 memory sticks into the slots on the right side causes crashes on stress tests and freezes on normal usage. Putting memory on the left side - stress tests passes perfectly. I've heard this story so many times with this mainboard that I'm 100% sure that this is a ASUS problem - not the CPU or memory. If you find any solution, please share on this forum. I have a big problem as I have 8 memory sticks and I can use only 4 of them.

rython wrote:
It happens to a lot of people including me. Putting 4 memory sticks into the slots on the right side causes crashes on stress tests and freezes on normal usage. Putting memory on the left side - stress tests passes perfectly. I've heard this story so many times with this mainboard that I'm 100% sure that this is a ASUS problem - not the CPU or memory. If you find any solution, please share on this forum. I have a big problem as I have 8 memory sticks and I can use only 4 of them.
I did not find a solution. I just RMAed my board yesterday. I have heard horror stories of RMA, im worried to get an even worse board back. Mine went in flawless.

Changes I made to fix the problem, please note your timing and frequency will depend on your memory. Let me know if this helps you!!!

Dram Frequency (3200)
Dram CAS# (16)
Dram RAS# to CAS# (18)
Dram RAS# Pre Time (18)
Dram RAS# ACT Time (36)

Receiver DQ Pre-Emphasis (0.700000)
Receiver DQ De-Emphasis (1.171875)
Transmitter DQ Pre-Emphasis (1.171875)
Transmitter DQ De-Emphasis (1.171875)

Enhanced Training CHA (Enabled)
Enhanced Training CHB (Enabled)
Enhanced Training CHC (Enabled)
Enhanced Training CHD (Enabled)

Dram Voltage CHA, CHB (1.3500)

Dram Voltage CHC, CHD (1.3500)

Rob_W_
Level 12
Hi rython, I’m using all 8 slots ( 8x8gb ddr4 3600hzs *GSkill rgb ) quad channel,they are running at 3800hzs 15-15-15-34 stable.
I have noticed in bios channels a,b voltages slightly differ from channels c,d ie; left slots run at a higher voltage (right=1.35 left=1.36)?
Latest bios caused an upset for them and I had to reseat them but now they are fine at 1.37v or 1.38v, vccsa at 1.10v and vccio at 1.150v,I also set in dram timing to train (enable).
I think it is a board issue between the two sides that needs tweaking? Causing instability.

VGAglory
Level 8
dandan112988 wrote:
Hello all. I'm having an issue with my computer. when I put 4 sticks of ram in for quad channel, the computer will randomly hard lock in stress tests, in games, and sometimes even when doing nothing. It runs fine with any combo of ram sticks ( to rule out a bad stick) with 3 in, but as soon as I put 4- i get hard lock ups. Is this a bad board, or bad ram? what does it sound like is the issue? Thank yoU!

thank you for any help !

OMG, you have just saved me from months of stress!! I have a Rampage VI Extreme board, and have spent months trying to get 64GB DDR4 stable. I could never get the RAM stable at all, let alone its rated 3000mhz. I tried everything, buying new RAM, trying different voltages, but stupidly never trying to move the DDR4 from the recommended manual configuration. Having accidentally come across this post, I tried what you have suggested. Moving all four modules over to the left hand bank of slots. Lo and behold, all stable!! How daft is that, must be some bizarre quirk of this board!