cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Rampage VI Extreme Encore + Intel Core i9-10980XE quest for best DDR4

frustrata
Level 9
Hello,
I upgraded from Asus Rampage V Extreme + 5960X + 1080TI to Asus Rampage VI Extreme Encore + Intel Core i9-10980XE + 3080TI
Power Supply is also upgraded from 1000W to 1250W.
I now want to upgrade old 32GB 2666 RAM (HyperX) as well to either 64GB or possibly 128GB
.. and hopefully not touch the system for a looong time 🙂

That is where it got real confusing for me. The choice of DDR4 RAM

What I am looking for is stability (first importance) and then performance (second importance).
So far it is obvious that I should get them as a kit since stability is of paramount importance.

Asus QVL seems outdated or at least does not have many of the current ones.

As a siee note, if left to me I would still follow QVL and get either one of these and move on:
HyperX Predator HX432C16PB3AK4/64 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL 16
HyperX Predator*HX430C15PB3K8/128 128GB (8 x 16GB) DDR4-3000 CL15
(which one would you choose?)

I would like to hear fellow RVIE Encore users ideas and recommendations on this RAM dilemna.
Possibly DOs and DONTs for this setup.
19 REPLIES 19

frustrata
Level 9
Yeah, it seems so.

I am seriously leaning towards a 64GB (4x16GB) G.Skill 3200Mhz C14, it’s a Samsung B-Die and should be a decent start and it should be good if I want to push it a bit later.
Looks certainly better than HyperX.
it’s not in Asus QVL but it’s in G.Skill QVL for this RVIEE.

Any thoughts?

Cherry_PL_
Level 11
This kit will work 100% fine

'Cherry[PL wrote:
;858228']This kit will work 100% fine

Thank you!

frustrata
Level 9
Btw, I just noticed an error of mine.
In this memory quest frustration I wrote my MB model wrong!! I upgraded to Rampage VI Extreme Encore. (not IV)

Duh!!!! I was re-reading everything just in case I missed something and to re-think everything, I noticed and corrected now, my apologies. I couldn’t change the thread title tough, I appreciate if an admin can change that as well.

LiveOrDie
Level 11
Sorry but upgrading to X299 EOL in 2022 is just stupid lol

LiveOrDie wrote:
Sorry but upgrading to X299 EOL in 2022 is just stupid lol

If you had a Maserati mid-2010s, you would be stupid if you do not upgrade to a Ferrari early-2020s if you had found it dirt cheap, just because it is not the latest model, or an EV or Hybrid model. Look at the costs of these.

…I had to write this one. I saw with my own eyes the acceleration of a Ferrari passing me from the left side when I was accelrating myself 170km-180km and going in a Turbo 4x4 Alfa Romeo. It felt like I was standing still !!! …and the sound …Que Bella!
Glad I grew up in times when there were no speed limits as I was driving much more. That driving pleasure died with enforced speed limits.

Plus I personally find it stupid to pay premium for some TOTL gear just because they are current, since 2-year old TOP equipment, EOL or not, will still perform exceptionally well and for longer time too. Perhaps it is logical to keep graphics card separate since monitors and their sizes come into play.

That is exactly how and why I did it, from a Core i7 4th gen 5960X 8 Cores, 16 Threads to Core i9 10th gen 10980XE 18 Cores, 36 Threads for a considerable fraction of the cost, plus open to Win 11, etc.

What I did not know how hard and expensive it was to find a suitable RAM kit, compared to the initial cost of MB+CPU naturally.

Of course this became issue because of my desire to upgrade RAM to 64GB or even to 128GB Quad channel. If I stayed at 32GB this thread would not exist in the first place.

Today a killer 64GB G.Skill C14 RAM kit is close to what I paid for the MB+CPU. This does not make sense of course, at least to me.

…Quest is still ongoing.

frustrata wrote:
If you had a Maserati mid-2010s, you would be stupid if you do not upgrade to a Ferrari early-2020s if you had found it dirt cheap, just because it is not the latest model, or an EV or Hybrid model. Look at the costs of these.

…I had to write this one. I saw with my own eyes the acceleration of a Ferrari passing me from the left side when I was accelrating myself 170km-180km and going in a Turbo 4x4 Alfa Romeo. It felt like I was standing still !!! …and the sound …Que Bella!
Glad I grew up in times when there were no speed limits as I was driving much more. That driving pleasure died with enforced speed limits.

Plus I personally find it stupid to pay premium for some TOTL gear just because they are current, since 2-year old TOP equipment, EOL or not, will still perform exceptionally well and for longer time too. Perhaps it is logical to keep graphics card separate since monitors and their sizes come into play.

That is exactly how and why I did it, from a Core i7 4th gen 5960X 8 Cores, 16 Threads to Core i9 10th gen 10980XE 18 Cores, 36 Threads for a considerable fraction of the cost, plus open to Win 11, etc.

What I did not know how hard and expensive it was to find a suitable RAM kit, compared to the initial cost of MB+CPU naturally.

Of course this became issue because of my desire to upgrade RAM to 64GB or even to 128GB Quad channel. If I stayed at 32GB this thread would not exist in the first place.

Today a killer 64GB G.Skill C14 RAM kit is close to what I paid for the MB+CPU. This does not make sense of course, at least to me.

…Quest is still ongoing.

I read the 1st line about a car then didn't bother to read the rest the reason is a car can't be compared to EOL computer hardware, a car will always get parts made for it and will always match the speed of a similar newer model with mods if you need the extra speed, none of these apply to dated hardware, if you got the x299 parts 2nd hand at a cheap price sure if you went out and brought the off the shelf then that is just dumb.

Most of the people thought that 4 RAM sticks would create less stress to memory controller in CPU and provide better overclock capability.

But funny thing is that in my case, 8 RAM sticks work better than 4.

I bought 4*8GB G-Skill Trident Z DDR4-3600C16 with this MB back in late 2018, and the best RAM speed I managed to get is 3800MHz C16 with my 7980XE.

I bought another set of this RAM kit on ebay in 2021, with the same MB and CPU, the RAM speed can be overclocked to 4200C16 1T at 1.4v.

cablebox wrote:
Most of the people thought that 4 RAM sticks would create less stress to memory controller in CPU and provide better overclock capability.

But funny thing is that in my case, 8 RAM sticks work better than 4.

I bought 4*8GB G-Skill Trident Z DDR4-3600C16 with this MB back in late 2018, and the best RAM speed I managed to get is 3800MHz C16 with my 7980XE.

I bought another set of this RAM kit on ebay in 2021, with the same MB and CPU, the RAM speed can be overclocked to 4200C16 1T at 1.4v.

Thank you for sharing your experience.
I might go with G.Skill F4-3200C16Q2-128GTZSK 128GB kit although it costs a bit less then I paid for the MB+CPU. It is not in QVL of course but it s in G.Skill QVL for this MB. The only thing is it is not B-Die, honestly I have no idea if it will matter.

LiveOrDie wrote:
I read the 1st line about a car then didn't bother to read the rest the reason is a car can't be compared to EOL computer hardware, a car will always get parts made for it and will always match the speed of a similar newer model with mods if you need the extra speed, none of these apply to dated hardware, if you got the x299 parts 2nd hand at a cheap price sure if you went out and brought the off the shelf then that is just dumb.

I got them dirt cheap.

The first sentence explains it all, this should prevent dumb comments.

As a side note, having driven fine Italian cars for 2 decades and owning all Extreme series MBs since III for more than a decade, the analogy was right on the spot.:p