cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Rampage VI Extreme Encore BIG DESIGN FLAW?!

Imperfections
Level 7
Hi guys,

I have an issue with my Rampage VI Extreme Encore which I think is design flaws as the issue prevents me from overclocking. I need input from the more knowledgeable person on this matter.

The cpu is 10980xe, basically the issue is under load the area around the vrm getting extremely hot. Much hotter than the vrm itself.
The electrolyte capacitors above the cpu socket went 5-10 degrees above the vrm temp and the substrate around the vccin delivery plane also getting similar temp.

I suspect the power plane traces on the board was not big enough to sustain the current/power draw from 18 cores cpu hence it heats up.

My first board started to throw lower vccin reading although it was running normally.
I noticed the melting plastic insulator around the cpu socket.

On new board it supposedly like this,

The second board I received from RMA burnt down like this,

So with my third board I start to monitor the board temp. I install temp sensor near the previously burnt component like this.

And the result is as mentioned it is super hot in my opinion. Without overclock the substrate/capacitors goes upwards of 73 degC depends on stress test used. And it is hotter than the vrm.

With very slight oc (200 mhz from all core 38 to 40) it went up to almost 80 degC.
I don’t think this is normal. This board is the latest and supposedly the greatest yet it exhibit this unacceptable behaviour in my opinion.

Anyone have any idea what’s wrong? I don’t dare to oc even 100 mhz let alone trying something like 4.6, 4.8 or even attempt 5.0...
5 REPLIES 5

sultan_of_swing
Level 9
Imperfections wrote:
Hi guys,

I have an issue with my Rampage VI Extreme Encore which I think is design flaws as the issue prevents me from overclocking. I need input from the more knowledgeable person on this matter.

The cpu is 10980xe, basically the issue is under load the area around the vrm getting extremely hot. Much hotter than the vrm itself.
The electrolyte capacitors above the cpu socket went 5-10 degrees above the vrm temp and the substrate around the vccin delivery plane also getting similar temp.

I suspect the power plane traces on the board was not big enough to sustain the current/power draw from 18 cores cpu hence it heats up.

My first board started to throw lower vccin reading although it was running normally.
I noticed the melting plastic insulator around the cpu socket.

On new board it supposedly like this,

The second board I received from RMA burnt down like this,

So with my third board I start to monitor the board temp. I install temp sensor near the previously burnt component like this.

And the result is as mentioned it is super hot in my opinion. Without overclock the substrate/capacitors goes upwards of 73 degC depends on stress test used. And it is hotter than the vrm.

With very slight oc (200 mhz from all core 38 to 40) it went up to almost 80 degC.
I don’t think this is normal. This board is the latest and supposedly the greatest yet it exhibit this unacceptable behaviour in my opinion.

Anyone have any idea what’s wrong? I don’t dare to oc even 100 mhz let alone trying something like 4.6, 4.8 or even attempt 5.0...

Plenty of people overclocking 10980xe's to all core 5ghz on the Encore without issues. The Encore has the best VRM layout and cooling of all the X299 boards on the market.
Are you running the board without the VRM Heatsinks???
Are you using all the Supplemental power connections on the motherboard?

sultan.of.swing wrote:
Plenty of people overclocking 10980xe's to all core 5ghz on the Encore without issues. The Encore has the best VRM layout and cooling of all the X299 boards on the market.
Are you running the board without the VRM Heatsinks???
Are you using all the Supplemental power connections on the motherboard?

Hi there, yes I know very well not to remove the vrm heatsink and I connected all 3 power connectors. In fact the overheating components is not the vrm. The vrm itself is completely fine. I was more worried about the power delivery between the vrm and the cpu. The components in between the vrm and cpu getting extremely hot I believe due to insufficient power plane traces surface to handle overclocked 18 cores.

It is not an issue if you didn’t notice this flaws. But once you noticed this you will definitely start to worried. Let alone stress tesing using prime 95, just running cinebench r23 or blender benchmark brings the temps of those components significantly high.

I asked you same question on onverclock.net forum, noticed that you have encore board also. Can you try to carefully touch those capacitors after running cinebench r23 for 10-15 mins with your overclock please? This is not newbie mistake. It would help other people too not to burnt down their house if this is indeed design flaws.

These capacitors, no need to remove the board or anything it can be reached from front side easily unless you are using monoblock.

89131*

Sorry, but I am not the "more knowledgeable person on this matter." If no one steps forwards (Asus technical support or someone with a very similar so-called 'burnout' issue) then I seriously doubt a so-called "BIG DESIGN FLAW!"

The images you do show strongly suggest an issue with the i9-10980XE. Have you been using the same i9-10980XE CPU across all three MB's?

At the least. your images show melted plastics and an extremely remote possibility of melted solder! What CPU cooling solution are you using and is it certifiably on and running at least at 100%? I am not aware of any plastics, especially adjacent to the MB CPU that have melting points at, or below, 100C (more likely the melting point is >120C, or even >140C, that would be for polyethylene (e. g. PE, the stuff that most all shopping bags are made out of)).

Your 2nd MB shows extensive heat damage to the CPU socket itself, throughout the backside, and the triangular area of socket pins on the front side directly adjacent to the edge closest to the melted plastic.

The areas close to the top of the CPU (between the VRM and CPU) are known to get rather hot, most reviews show numbers in the 60C-70C range right next to the CPU (e. g. thermal imaging). Suggest you try another i9-10980XE if you have not done so already. Good luck.

Also. I hope you are using at least the AVX offsets that are the BIOS defaults, if not even larger offsets.

everettfsargent wrote:
Sorry, but I am not the "more knowledgeable person on this matter." If no one steps forwards (Asus technical support or someone with a very similar so-called 'burnout' issue) then I seriously doubt a so-called "BIG DESIGN FLAW!"

The images you do show strongly suggest an issue with the i9-10980XE. Have you been using the same i9-10980XE CPU across all three MB's?

At the least. your images show melted plastics and an extremely remote possibility of melted solder! What CPU cooling solution are you using and is it certifiably on and running at least at 100%? I am not aware of any plastics, especially adjacent to the MB CPU that have melting points at, or below, 100C (more likely the melting point is >120C, or even >140C, that would be for polyethylene (e. g. PE, the stuff that most all shopping bags are made out of)).

Your 2nd MB shows extensive heat damage to the CPU socket itself, throughout the backside, and the triangular area of socket pins on the front side directly adjacent to the edge closest to the melted plastic.

The areas close to the top of the CPU (between the VRM and CPU) are known to get rather hot, most reviews show numbers in the 60C-70C range right next to the CPU (e. g. thermal imaging). Suggest you try another i9-10980XE if you have not done so already. Good luck.

Also. I hope you are using at least the AVX offsets that are the BIOS defaults, if not even larger offsets.

Well it happened on 2 different cpu (both 10980xe) and 3 different boards (the third doesn’t get melted insulator plastic because I keep monitoring the temp and doesn’t oc the cores).

The first board got wrong vccin reading after sometime of usage (almost 1 year) and it also shows melted plastic even if not burnt. I RMA both the cpu and board since I don’t know which one is causing it and got brand new cpu and replacement board.

The second board burnt with 47 all cores oc during rendering task. The socket burnt because the board burnt and melted the socket. It was not caused by the cpu per se (the cpu still drawing lots of current from it but I’m 100% sure it is not the cause). The cpu survived without any scratch.Â*The same cpu used on the third board and it works flawlesly except hot capacitors. I start to monitor its temp only with the 3rd board after the second burnt but photo from my first board shows similar sign (using the different 10980xe).

If it can’t sustain a mere 47 all cores with this level of board then I do have the right to call it design flaws. So much for 16 phases infineon TDA21472 when the power plane will overheat instead.

Imperfections
Level 7
So I found proof that the power plane from the vrm to cpu has not enough surface area.

I attached temperature sensor which came with the board to the back side of the socket exactly where the burnt mark on my previous board. And connect it to water in temp header (because I use the other header already but anyway it doesn’t matter).
Then I ran prime95 small no avx (need heavy synthetic load which I can easily replicate).
Core at stock so it ran 38 all cores, cache at 33 and memory 4000c16.

This is with vccin 1.8 v (default).

https://ibb.co/YW449MS

Temp of the substrate reaching 77C.

And this is with vccin 2v.

https://ibb.co/Z6DPhkg

The temp of the substrate is only 73C!
That is because at the same power draw, higher voltage needs lower current thus small power plane doesn’t run as hot.

I will need Asus rep to chime in on this matter since I’m really afraid to oc with this board now. Notice that the substrate temp is much higher than the cpu!