cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Rampage VI Apex with one SSD PCIE disk and two M2 Raid 0 disks - too slow

Zbigniew
Level 9
Please help me to configure my new Asus Rampage VI Apex.
My current configuration:
7820x processor (28 lines)
2xSamsung 960 in raid 0 on dimm 2 PCH -> transfer only Read 3000Mb / sec Write 2750MB / sec (as Intel Raid 0 Volume) - slow (4 PCH lines)
PCIE_X16 / X8_1 GPU GTX 1070Ti (16 lines)
PCIE_X8_2 Empty
PCIE_X4 NVME Plextor PX-512MB (PCIE card) Read 2300Mb / sec Write 1000MB / sec - it's OK (4 lines)
PCIE_X16 / X8_3 Sound Card BlasterX - OK (I do not know how many PCIE lines in this case?)
PCIE_X8_4 Not planted - no space
The latest version of the bios has been installed.
Theoretically, there are 6-8 CPU lines, am I right?
I would like to run 2x Samsung 960 in Raid 0 Dimm2 CPU + Dimm2 PCH for better scaling.
If I translate one Samsung 960 drive to Dimm 2 CPU, the bios system does not detect the disk.
(Both on the right and left side of the Dimm2 CPU Card)
It detects only a single disk on Dimm 2 PCH + Plextor on PCIE_X4
How should I install two M2 drives in my case to create Raid 0 using Dimm2 PCH + Dimm2 CPU?
(Of course, without removing the Plextor drive from the system)
Which Bios options should be turned on / off so that the system can detect two M2 disks mounted one on each Dimm2?
Someone on this forum has launched Raid 0 on the Asus Rampage VI Extreme using the M2 disk on the disc and a single disk on Dimm 2
obtaining twice higher transfers ...
What can you do with this problem on Apex?
I think that I did not notice something, because it is not a unique situation.
Please, comment if someone sees the solution to this problem.
Blessed are those who have not seen ... And now they see.
11 REPLIES 11

G75rog
Level 10
The solution for my Apex is a 7900x with 44 lanes and an Asus Hyper x16 card with 4 960 pro drives on it.
The boot drive is a 960 pro on a dimm card.

Intel Core i9-7900X is a processor for a very narrow audience who need high performance and a large amount of not only cores, but also a PCI-Express line. And for me, an additional cost of about $ 500. I'd prefer to replace the graphics card with a better one. I am just asking for suggestions on how to set the motherboard. Converting the processor to another type is not a solution to the problem. I want to stay on my motherboard and Skylake X processor 7820x. This comment does not help to solve my problem. I can not solve it myself. And it seems to me possible. I have set something incorrectly...

G75rog
Level 10
Using the 7820x with 28 lanes removes the ability to use the cpu dimm2-2 position (page 1-8 in English manual) and the Asus Hyper x16 card. Any cpu with 28 or 16 lanes cripples the Apex keepiing it from using it's full potential.

Is the Plextor your OS drive?

Even thought it might now show in the bios, a disk in cpu dimm2-1 and pch dimm2-1 might be usable to create a Windows 10 Raid in Disk management.

I purchased the 7900x expressly for the 44 lanes needed to run the Asus Hyper x16 card with 4 2TB 960 Pro drives which it does quite well and still allow me to run 4 additional drives in the 2 dimm cards.

Exactly!
1. "Using the 7820x with 28 lane cripples the Apex keeping it from using it's full potential."
(I read about it before buying.)
2. "Is the Plextor your OS drive?"
(My OS is on two Samsung 960 drives in Dimm2 PCH two sockets as Raid 0)
(Plextor is for data storage only, as an additional one.)

A) I would like to insert one Samsung 960 drive in the Dimm2 CPU slot and the other Samsung 960 drive in the PCH Dimm2 slot in a way.
I would like to get a Raid volume partition which will allow scaling 2x faster.
My target is to get about 5-6GB / sec transfer on the Raid 0 partition using Samsung drives.

Dimm2 CPU has two mounting locations for M2 drives. Dimm2 PCH also has two mounting locations for M2 drives. There are three questions:

* Which specific mounting locations on the Dimm2 CPU and Dimm2 PCH cards should be mounted M2 disks for the bios system to detect both disks? (watching from the back of the PC-case)

* It may be necessary to additionally switch off the PCIE_X8_2 socket mechanically on the board, if the dimensions of the graphics card are too big anyway.

* Where do I make mistake ?

Proposal

On the Rampage VI Extreme Mobo you can run Samsung's Raid 0, using the M2 socket under the cooling of the bridge and one of the Dimm2 sockets. The motherboard RVIE has received transfers of around 6Gb / sec. (Of course with 28 lines)?
How can I do it technically on Apex? I can not create a Raid 0 partition if I put one disk for each Dimm 2.
In this case, the Bios system only detects the disc in the Dimm2 PCH slot.
Maybe this is the problem of the proper arrangement of disks in my computer?
Or is it a problem with me?
Maybe I'm doing something wrong...

Vlada011
Level 10
It would be nice to ASUS help people with previous chipsets to run M.2 in RAID 0 mode.
To launch some PCI-E x4 adapter for 2x M.2 with small fans.
Something like 10G Card for Zenith Extreme.
Similar size with little fan and than people with X99, Z97, Z87 could install in PCI-E slot and run eventually M.2 RAID if these chipsets naturaly not support.

ASUS have some card but it's for 4x M.2 and use x16 slot.
This should be for 2x M.2.

I think people would be interested for such adapter by ASUS nicely designed to fit to ROG hardware.
Special people with X99 and X79 who still have power in their computers and want to improve performance of SSD SATA III best they can.
Very important thing is that Samsung 960 EVO 500GB x2 could be find for much cheaper price than 960 PRO 1TB example and in RAID mode to beat 960 PRO.
Because of that people would be interested for such adapter. He could be usefull together with CPU with 40 PCI-E lanes.

I want to take full advantage of Mainboard's capabilities.
I fed her with fast memories, disks...
And he can not digest them properly.
I am asking you for specific technical help or suggestions.
This is not a thread with a review or discussion.
All users of this model will benefit.

In the current configuration of my PC I do not have the possibility to install the PCIEx16 4xM2 adapter.
(too weak processor & the last PCIE_X8_4 connector is turned off)
(for a weak processor in this case - only 28 lines)
I currently have two 960 evo M2 500GB drives in the raid 0 mode on Dimm2 PCH + PCIE_X8_2 Empty / not to use
(partially obscured by the graphics card)
That's why I put a technical question /
I would like to insert one Samsung 960 drive in the Dimm2 CPU slot and the other Samsung 960 drive in the PCH Dimm2 slot in a way.
I would like to get a Raid 0 volume partition which will allow scaling 2x faster.
My target is to get about 5-6GB / sec transfer on the Raid 0 partition using Samsungs discs (one in each Dimm2 connector)
1. Which specific mounting locations on the Dimm2 CPU and Dimm2 PCH cards should be mounted M2 disks for the bios system to detect both disks?
(watching from the back of the PC-case)
2. It may be necessary to additionally switch off the PCIE_X8_2 socket mechanically on the board, if the dimensions of the graphics card are too big anyway?
3. Maybe something needs to be changed in the Bios settings?
(what, maybe I skipped ...)
Rampage VI Apex looks like an engineering masterpiece for a million dollars. And it works like it costs 1 cent.
So it should not be. And I can not use the basic function on the new Mobo, and run the drives with declared speeds,
and I used them with no problem on Rampage X79, X99 ...
4. Where do I make mistake? Or maybe I have too low IQ? Maybe I'm doing something wrong ...

G75rog
Level 10
The M2 socket designations are printed on the dimm2 card.
You cannot use the cpu dimm2 with Samsung drives for a booting Raid.
Read the VROC threads for more information.

From these statements, it appears that the purchase of Asus APEX is a failure in my case.
The Intel VROC key can not be purchased.
You can not run M2 disks with declared speeds.
You can not use the last PCIEX.
I feel cheated by Intel.
I bought something with an option for a lot of additional costs.
Without them you can not use a fully purchased device.
It's a senseless approach to the customer. Ha!
Such a great sales policy of Intel is a lot of new satisfied customers.
From today I will look with a friendly eye only on AMD.
I used the Opteron AMD platform, followed by many years of Xeon Intel.
Again, you should equip yourself with AMD products.
I recommend 64 lines, AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X, 16 cores, Asus Zenith ...
Thank you for explaining and helping me.
I greet everyone.