cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS LiveDash OLED Display

Korth
Level 14

The ASUS PRIME X299-DELUXE product page shows four LiveDash screenshots (Fan, Frequency, Temperature, Voltage) and says
"Prime X299-Deluxe includes LiveDash, a built-in OLED dashboard that displays custom information such as system temperatures, CPU frequency, fan speed and error messages — so everything you need to know is available at a glance."

LiveDash isn't advertised on the product pages for PRIME X299-A, STRIX X299-E GAMING, TUF X299 MARK 1, or TUF X299 MARK 2.

What other motherboards will feature LiveDash? Anything ROG?

What are LiveDash OLED specs, display resolution, fps refresh? Is it only monochrome, is it RGB backlit through AURA?
I can't determine the OLED panel resolution (or read the interface board label) from the online links, the video is poorly-lit and blurred, the marketing images are doctored, not enough useful detail.

How is it addressed from software/firmware (chipset, USB, ROG_EXT, AURA_RGB, etc)? Does it have onboard memory or is it fed through running driver code? Will it support user-customized messages/images/animations or is it locked to a limited collection of ASUS-programmed screens? Will it be supported through AURA SDK or other public domain code libraries?
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]
16 REPLIES 16

Raja
Level 13
If it isn't on the product page for a board, it doesn't have the feature. The screen is quite small. First gen, so not perfect. As for features, are you looking at purchasing X299?

Korth
Level 14
@Raja -
Yeah, I'm starting to seriously need more cores, lol, so eventually upgrading a couple machines from Intel X99 to Intel X299 (or to AMD X399). Both primarily used for work but the one at home also used for gaming, and I prefer to keep matching hardwares on both (which sometimes makes life simpler in many little ways, lol). I'm always tempted to grab the latest ASUS/ROG offerings but I'm deliberately waiting out (another season or two?) until the mobos and firmwares mature. X299/X399 is not an upgrade to me (no matter how much more cores/threads, lanes, GHz, GB, etc) until it's proven it can run as stable as my existing systems, and it's expensive enough (times two) that I'd expect about 2-3 years service life (without the first year being full of debug).

LiveDash is a gimmick, but it's one I find appealing. Hardware-monitor display built onto the hardware itself, brilliant! It'd be nice to have one built onto every big chip, heatsink, cooler, pump, fan, and power block, but since we don't live in Star Trek I'd happily accept just one such display on the mobo itself (well, maybe also one on the top of each GPU card, lol).

The X299-DELUXE page advertises LiveDash in the "Make it your own" section, alongside RGB and AURA features, a cosmetic customization feature. Which is exactly what LiveDash is. I'm more interested in the functional potential, using LiveDash to actually indicate technical information I'd consider useful. So I'm curious about its specific capabilities and how to use them. At a glance, it's just some sort of 128x32 I2C monochrome OLED part, but can it be user-configured, can it be controlled through software, will it be lumped into the AURA SDK, etc?

A great first gen appearance, I think, even though it seems strange to me that it's on a PRIME board instead of on a ROG/EXTREME board, but then we all know a few more ROG X299 mobos are in the pipeline and we haven't seen their final build specs yet. And gamers will always demand bigger and bling-blingier things, lol, at ever-diminishing prices, so I can understand ASUS trying to quietly slip LiveDash under the ROG radar while so many other big ROG projects are already underway.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Korth wrote:
@Raja -

LiveDash is a gimmick, but it's one I find appealing. Hardware-monitor display built onto the hardware itself, brilliant! It'd be nice to have one built onto every big chip, heatsink, cooler, pump, fan, and power block, but since we don't live in Star Trek I'd happily accept just one such display on the mobo itself (well, maybe also one on the top of each GPU card, lol).

Hi,

1) You can assign whatever temp sensors AI Suite presents. I'm trying to add more to the pool via WMI, but that's an ongoing battle to open things up.

2) Res is 128 X 32. Customization/replacement of the GIF file should be allowed in the latest software (or next update).

3) Already requested SDK functionality, but not sure we'll get it. I'd like it to be fully accessible.

Raja@ASUS wrote:
Hi,

1) You can assign whatever temp sensors AI Suite presents. I'm trying to add more to the pool via WMI, but that's an ongoing battle to open things up.

2) Res is 128 X 32. Customization/replacement of the GIF file should be allowed in the latest software (or next update).

3) Already requested SDK functionality, but not sure we'll get it. I'd like it to be fully accessible.

Can we customise that LiveDash GIF logo now and how to do it? Tnx!

Korth
Level 14

Raja
Level 13
DIY rocks, doesn't it?

How to customise that OLED LOGO with my own on Rampage VI Extreme? What is the software for that? Tnx!

Aysberg
Level 10
Aquacomputer has the VISION OLED displays on several of there product and also as a standalone version. Got one on my cuplex kryos NEXT.

I think this is better than the R6E onboard one, only downside is the not perfect software and no direct integration of the ASUS sensors.

BigJob
Level 10
@gajbotron - Try using the Asus LiveDash software.

@Korth - I know I have a x399 and there is a live dash on it however I rarely look at it, or my case, or my pc for that matter.