cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aquantia 10Gbe fix by disabling one advanced setting on the chip thru device manager!

CharlieH
Level 8
I was having issues with copying files down to my pc and with Hyper-V client internet downloads basically the speeds were close to 0.

I disabled the "Recv Segment Coalescing (IPv4)" and problem fixed.

Just go to device manager, right click the "Aquantia AQtion 10Gbit Network Adapter" network device under "Network Adapters", select "Properties", and go to the "Advanced" tab.

This is on Windows 10 Feature 1809. I had some weird issues on 1803 too I assume this would have fixed those too.

If you run Hyper-V VMs do not create a virtual switch use the default switch. Although a virtual switch works it significantly slows down the network speeds down more than 1/2. Using the default switch gives you full speed/throughput. This affects the host and client even if your client isn't running.

Just thought I would post this out there for anyone having issues like me. One guy posted a while back he was dropping packets.

Also I upgraded to the latest driver you can get it here:
https://www.aquantia.com/support/driver-download/

pick AQC107 from the part number drop down to get the right driver

Use the 64 bit installer here in the zip:
Aquantia_AQtion_Windows_2.1.12\Aquantia_AQtion_x64_Win_ver_2.1.12\Windows Installer

unless you installed windows 32 bit then use the 32 bit installer
26 REPLIES 26

Got a new desktop with an ASUS XG-C100C 10GB PCIE network adapter card. Using speedtest.net I got the expected download speeds of around 94Mbps. The upload speeds however did not go beyond 0.1Mbps upload speed. Using the onboard 1GB NIC I got the expect speeds of 94/38Mbps.

Initially I just updated to the latest driver 2.12.18 on the ASUS website as suggested somewhere, but that did not solve my problem. After looking more, I found a firmware update to 3.1.90, and that together with an even newer driver 2.12.21 from the Marvel website for the AQC107 chipset finally got me the speeds I was expecting.

The suggested change of disabling Recv Segment Coalescing had no impact what so ever. I run Windows 10 in a full Unifi network.

Dimitrios1971
Level 12
@Aysberg uploading here Aquantia_10G_AQC-107_2.1.19

The second file with mouse right click button and install this version :rolleyes:

EDIT:This is x64 driver version

OLD

NEW

restsugavan
Level 13
Thank you for your kindness @Dimistrios1971

Running smooth.
W11CANARY 26085.1 Core i9 7980XE 02007006 MCE ME 11.12.95.2499 R6E OFFICIAL BIOS 3801 SAMSUNG OG9 FW 1019.0 SSD 970 EVO PLUS 1 TB x 3 NVIDIA RTX 4090 GAME READY 551.86 64GB GSKILL DDR4 3200MHz JBL 9.1 Sound Bar DTS-X

Aysberg
Level 10
Thanks @Dimitrios1971, now I have firmware and drivers on the newest version.

Will test the stability a bit. Currently I am using a Mellanox ConnectX-3 via fiber for my 10GbE network and I am quite happy with my setup, but having one less component in my machine would be a plus.

vmanuelgm
Level 11
Thanks @Dimitrios1971
Asus x670e Hero, 7950x, TG 7000, Master 4090, 970 PRO, 860 EVO, Intel 750,
SN850, SN750, 840 Pro, 2xSkyhawk 4TB, Pioneer S12U
EVGA T2 1600, Silverstone TJ11, Custom LC, Acer Predator x35, Philips OLED

RamGuy
Level 7
Thanks for the links Dimitrios1971. I had the firmware already as I'm a frequent user of Station-Drivers, but I didn't know about the driver.

Sadly this doesn't really seem to improve my situation. I did upgrade my home network to have 10Gbe uplink's and got myself the Asus XG-C100C Ethernet Adapter for my server and my desktop and the network card is not behaving well at all.

My server is next to useless with this card. As soon as it has any throughput going it will get packet loss with no end. Having μTorrent running with 25 MB/s and the connection to the server will start lagging like crazy. Running a ping -t to my server and I will have 20-40% packet loss. Stop μTorrent and there is 0% packet loss.

Switching back to the Intel i211-AT and there are no such issues. This is a Windows Server 2019 installation, with Hyper-V services enabled and I noticed how CharlieH was mentioning Hyper-V. But these issues are present no matter if the XG-C100C is being used or a Hyper-V Virtual Switch or not.

It does seem to behave much better on my Windows 10 v1909 desktop. But even on my desktop there are some awkward packet loss at around 1-2% which are not there when using my Intel i219-V. There are no real benefits for me having the XG-C100C/AQC107 in my desktop if my server is not running the XG-C100C/AQC107. The 10GBe uplink's are nice to avoid congestion and bottleneck's, but I had really hoped for my server to have 10GBe as the 1GBe is a bottleneck at times and it would really improve on my backup routines to have both my server and desktop running 10GBe.

These AQC107 NIC's like the Asus XG-C100C are some rather cheap 10GBe cards, but one would expect them to perform and behave much better than this. I have tried to disable various offload settings in the NIC's hardware settings but nothing seems to really improve on it's instability.

BigJohnny
Level 13
I ran the 10G on my RVIE without so much as a burp for more than a year. Now with the Encore edition and drivers from .18 that can with the board to .20 from station drivers. Something as simple as internet test the download speed looks on par with GB FIOs but the upload speed it worse that 14.4K dial up. I can verify the *speed switch to 1GB connection that works perfectly. If I didn’t have a 10GB internal network I would care but this slows down access to my NAS and makes it to where I can’t upload files to it or even slow web loading because it’s a 2 way street. Try to upload a photo I can go to lunch and come back. Unless there’s an even newer firmware what I’ve run says I have the latest firmware.**

I’d hate to have to return this board over the 10G not working.*

Edit:
Confirmed entire network connections to this point with 10G express PCIE card that came with my M8E. Works fine. Just onboard aquantia. Tried rolling back BIOS (yeah a stretch) different drivers and firmware all the same result. No outbound traffic. Fine RX no Tx. *

Aysberg
Level 10
You can find an even more actual firmware under this thread (3.1.109) here in the forum.

A lot of problems have been fixed with newer firmwares.

BigJohnny
Level 13
The latest firmware fixed it with driver .20

Stumbled onto this old thread as I just setup a Asus rt-ax89x router and thought something was very wrong with the router as web sites were sometimes working but mostly not. Fortunatly I had another computer and an intel 1gb nic on the motherboard so I was able to narrow the issue. Did a search on asus and aquantia aqn-107 and found this. (mine is built into my Asrock Creator motherboard). Turned off that setting and everything started working as expected.

What I really don't understand is how this wasn't an issue for the past two years with my Netgear R7800 router as everything I can find indicates this is a driver and/or Windows issue.

Thanks for posting the fix!