cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another RVIEE 6 pin EPS connector thread

BigJohnny
Level 13
I’ve just ordered one of these boards and want to be prepared for when it gets here

I typically like using all the power connectors.

There is conflicting information over the 6 pin mystery connector all over the net. One thing I am sure of is it’s not for PCIE power. That’s the EZ plug at the bottom of the board.

Another thing I’m sure of is the PCIE 6 pin polarity is reversed.

I’ve looked everywhere and there is no solid reference for this connector but plenty of conflicting information including one that ended with a cooked MOBO

EPS cables come in two varieties, 8 pin and 4+4. *I’ve not seen a single EPS 6 pin, not that I may have missed it.*

Can we get some insight with 100% reliability?

PCIE 6+2 will go in because the socket top center on the board is square however the cable on that connection is rounded at the bottom. Round will fit in the square but not vice versa.

So what’s the real story? The manual makes no mention of using two 8 pins and says don’t use only the 6 pin but the gnd and +12 are backwards on a 6+2 PCIE cable.

14 REPLIES 14

Funny enough Asus recently (april 10 according to ASUS, but for me it came visible on there website yesterday) published an updated R6EE User Manual named: E16039 v2, BUT back dated to November 2019!

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-Rampage-VI-Extreme-Encore/HelpDesk_Manual/

Anyway, on page 1-27 we find an updated 6-pin plug with the polarities reversed to be identical to a PCIe 6 pin connector (not like in the old manual, the rare 6-pin EPS12v connector)

Again November 2019! Really! They have been sitting on this information since November having us spinning our wheels on what cable to use - @#$@#%.
Some of us even wasted money on a custom EPS12V cable which does not work (board does not boot)!

Besides that, there were few cosmetic changes but no real functional changes that I could find:
inserting "USB" in front of "BIOS Flash back" on page 2-17
and splitting up the memory spec on page ix for core i9 1000X vs core i9 7000x/9000x but the spec are the same so there is no differentiation anyway...

Int8bldr wrote:
yep the PCIe cable fits and works as I said. Potentially the documentation is wrong or the ASUS board may sense and reverse polarity if a PCI cable is inserted instead of a 6-pin EPS12V cable and either automatically reverse currents or simply shuts down the cable (so it is not used).
I just know the PCIe cable I use works or at least it does not cause any harm - so far (famous last words).

I know this thread is no longer in active discussion, but for others with the same question I'd like to confirm the OP's conclusion.

The R6EE manual shows pin 1 as ground, while, as others have shown above, 6-pin PCIe connector put 12V on this pin. Arnie Saknussemm accurately stated "No ifs no buts...the 6pin is for a PCIe cable to supply extra EPS power...full stop." Getting a custom cable made following the R6EE EATX-12_3 pinout in the R6EE manual would be a very bad idea(tm) .
Future PicPlatform.......Rampage VI Extreme Encore / i9-10940x
Memory.........G.Skill F4-4266C17Q-32GTZR 32GB Kit
Graphics ......Radeon Pro Vega 56
Boot Drive.....2X Intel 380GB, 905P M.2 SSD
Storage........2x Samsung 1TB 970 EVO M.2 SSD
Cooling........MCP355 Pump, Swiftech SKF Block, EK360 60mm Radiator

rosefire wrote:
I know this thread is no longer in active discussion, but for others with the same question I'd like to confirm the OP's conclusion.

The R6EE manual shows pin 1 as ground, while, as others have shown above, 6-pin PCIe connector put 12V on this pin. Arnie Saknussemm accurately stated "No ifs no buts...the 6pin is for a PCIe cable to supply extra EPS power...full stop." Getting a custom cable made following the R6EE EATX-12_3 pinout in the R6EE manual would be a very bad idea(tm) .

Confirmed: It is a standard 6-pin PCIe power connector - the same as is used for a graphics card.
Also, look in the updated manual posted just recently on ASUS site (not in the paper version). They have fixed the manual so that it 6-pin PCIe power connector is now drawn correctly.

I can also confirm that a 6-pin EPS 12 power cable does not work. The system refuses to boot. Will not fry your board or CPU, but it won't boot.

BigJohnny
Level 13
Arne Saknussemm wrote:
No need for another thread on this... No ifs no buts...the 6pin is for a PCIe cable to supply extra EPS power...full stop.
What makes you so sure? Is quite possible they screwed up the manual and pin out diagrams. My big issue is clearly labeled 12V ATX and shows reverse polarity of what is on a PCIE cable. If it was labeled 6 pin PCIE or anywhere in the manual saying connect 6 pin PCIE O would not bat an eye at it. There are several YouTube vids floating around directing to swap pins at the PSU end to make it match the 12V all being on the outward edge/latch part of connector but I dont exactly believe everything I see on YouTube either If I cant get a direct answer I will try with just the two 8pin connectors and see what type of voltage shows up on those pins. Not that I need them as I was getting plenty of power out of the 8 pin + 4 pin ATX on RVIE for for decent OC so long as I have active cooling on the VRMs. Omega seems to run fine on 2x8 pins. I am certainly not going to run LN2 but from an engineers perspective the extra power connection will take some load off of the others and result is less heat to VRMs in the end. Two reasons I chose this board over the omega. Better heat sink, more clearance on ram latches and the ability to gain 4 more PCIE lanes with a 109XX cpu which I may try if a 10980XE every shows up in stock. Not a big fan of ordering over MSRP with manufacturer drop ship. Other wise I will stick with my 9940x. My only wish is for someone to develop a VRM only active block for this puppy. Not a fan of monoblocks and the Bitspower one just does away with the color OLED and I/O shield. New EK looks better but I have tried several monoblocks and never been happy. Either CPU suffers or VRMs suffer.
Separate blocks have always proven a better solution for me.

kcmcc
Level 7
delete, double