cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

860 Evo In Dimm Expansion Card Not recognized

therealmc64
Level 7
Afternoon all,

I recently upgraded my system and added a second M.2 Drive to my Rampage 6 Extreme board using the DImm.2 expansion card. However, the drive is nowhere to be found in the BIOS or in disk management.



System Specs:
7900x
Rampage 6 extreme mobo
32gigs gskill Ram
1080ti SLI
samsung 960 evo nvme m.2 <-- installed directly on the mobo under the "armor." OS installed, working just fine.


A few notes to help with troubleshooting:
- tried both BIOS versions 1301 & 1401
- The red LED on the expansion card lights up when the ssd is plugged in.
- I've tried both sides of the expansion card.
- reseated the expansion card multiple times
-disabled PCIE slot 4 as well as 2 & 4 (video cards in 1 & 3)
- Relevant BIOS settings: Advanced>Advanced CPU Storage Configuration. PCIE8_4, DIMM.2 and U2 set to disabled. PCH storage set to AHCI. Advanced Onboard devices M2 set to PCH; tab right under it PCIEx8_4 is set to auto.


Any thoughts? Spent a good portion of the last night scouring the forums for different ideas, tried them all and still no luck. I dont have another system with an m.2 slot to verify the drive is working correctly. Nor is access to the onboard m.2 slot on the motherboard easy to get to. Behind a hard line tubing system. Not having to disassemble the entire loop to swap m.2 drives would be ideal.

Cheers
1,507 Views
9 REPLIES 9

G75rog
Level 10
Enable Dimm 2

G75rog wrote:
Enable Dimm 2



Is this a BIOS setting? Can you point me in the direction where I would find this? All the information I've came across claims the drives are plug and play.

G75rog
Level 10
Read the manual, it's in there.

G75rog wrote:
Read the manual, it's in there.


Read the manual. Multiple times. The only mention of BIOS configuration is on page 3-18.

It doesnt mention anything about "enabling" the dimm expansion card.

Would you be so kind as to shed some light on what you're referring to?

chevell65
Level 12
This issue has come up multiple times but I can't seem to find a resolution for it. Instead I get dead ends with no resolution like the one in the link.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?98129-How-to-install-2-SSD-in-Dimm-2-Slot

chevell65 wrote:
This issue has come up multiple times but I can't seem to find a resolution for it. Instead I get dead ends with no resolution like the one in the link.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?98129-How-to-install-2-SSD-in-Dimm-2-Slot



Same. So frustrating

G75rog
Level 10
therealmc64 wrote:
Afternoon all,

- Relevant BIOS settings: Advanced>Advanced CPU Storage Configuration. PCIE8_4, DIMM.2 and U2 set to disabled. PCH storage set to AHCI. Advanced Onboard devices M2 set to PCH; tab right under it PCIEx8_4 is set to auto.


In your first post you stated Dimm.2 was set to disabled. Unset it.

G75rog wrote:
In your first post you stated Dimm.2 was set to disabled. Unset it.


The information i read regarding those settings were found in this thread: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?98463-Rampage-VI-extreme-M-2-Question

My issue is exactly the same as that thread. Someone there suggested those settings.

Either way, I tried enabling that setting in the BIOS. Still not recognized in windows or the BIOS.

Thanks for your help Much appreciated.

G75rog
Level 10
Since I use an Apex with 7 NVME drives on it I can only read the R6E manual.

Good luck.