Did you mean: 

3105 freezes when using XMP settings

SchwiizerFranke
Level 7
Hello,

Following Setup:

• RAMPAGE VI EXTREME
  • Intel Core i9-7960X (Water Cooled)
  • Corsair Dominator Platinum (CMT64GX4M4C3200C16)
  • 2x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti

I just bought new RAM, whitch is listed in the "Qualified Vendor List" because my old one would keep freezing when using XMP.

But it seems like the new RAM, listed above, still has the same issues. I get complete freezes multiple times per day. (i'd say every 2-6hrs)
I had this issue for years now and i went back using RAM without XMP and with "default settings" which is 2.128 MHz. When using 2.128 freezes rarely happen. (i'd say every 2-4 weeks)

Those freezes don't seem to be affected by usage since they happen even when doing office work, or when gaming. I've tried many BIOS versions over the last 2 years, some of theme were more stable, some of them completly unusable. I've tested many thing with different RAM settings. Only thing that was "kinda" stable, as described above, seems to be running the RAM in 2128.

Can anyone recommend a more stable BIOS version for furter testing? Or has any other ideas what to try / how to solve those issues?

Greetings
6 REPLIES 6

Int8bldr
Level 11
SchwiizerFranke wrote:
Hello,

Following Setup:

• RAMPAGE VI EXTREME
  • Intel Core i9-7960X (Water Cooled)
  • Corsair Dominator Platinum (CMT64GX4M4C3200C16)
  • 2x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti

I just bought new RAM, whitch is listed in the "Qualified Vendor List" because my old one would keep freezing when using XMP.

But it seems like the new RAM, listed above, still has the same issues. I get complete freezes multiple times per day. (i'd say every 2-6hrs)
I had this issue for years now and i went back using RAM without XMP and with "default settings" which is 2.128 MHz. When using 2.128 freezes rarely happen. (i'd say every 2-4 weeks)

Those freezes don't seem to be affected by usage since they happen even when doing office work, or when gaming. I've tried many BIOS versions over the last 2 years, some of theme were more stable, some of them completly unusable. I've tested many thing with different RAM settings. Only thing that was "kinda" stable, as described above, seems to be running the RAM in 2128.

Can anyone recommend a more stable BIOS version for furter testing? Or has any other ideas what to try / how to solve those issues?

Greetings

This is a known problem with Rampage 6 Extreme (not the encore).
The solution is to ONLY populate the left side memory slots and NOT to put any RAM modules on the right side.

I have a 7980XE on a R6E.

I had the same issues from the very beginning, but did not RMA it (should have done that) because I was trying and hoping the next uCode or the next BIOS would solve it, but they never did... Further, it was quite frankly difficult to isolate the issue: is it the uCode, RAM board etc - very hard because it sometimes takes days before the lock up occur - but eventually it always locks up. I've tried EVERY bios and EVERY uCode since release. In all cases, eventually the system just lock up.

And then I found this tread:https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?109123-asus-rampage-vi-extreme-ram-problem/page2

Summary from this thread:

Root cause:
In summary, the right hand side memory channels are not stable on some R6E boards.
If you ONLY populate the left hand side ram slots, the system becomes stable.
The moment you use ANY of the right hand side RAM slots the system destabilizes.
To test and convince yourself, you can try to populate ONLY right hand side slots (try just one) to see if you can provoke more frequent freezes - then you you know for sure. I did that and that really tripped up the system much faster. For me and my R6E board it was no difference which right hand side slot I populated, they were all equally unstable.
Then try to just populate the left hand side RAM slots(noting on the right side) and run it for a week or 2. If it does not look up you know you have this issue.

After much testing (different ram modules and putting the 7980XE in a R6EE to verify that's it not the CPU - it worked there) by means of elimination the conclusion is that some R6E boards are (mine certainly is) unstable when you populate the right side RAM slots. Many others have the same issue see the thread.

Solution:
Only populate the left side memory slots.

Of course this means cutting your memory channels in half which sucks but at least it's 100% stable.

Int8bldr wrote:
This is a known problem with Rampage 6 Extreme (not the encore).
The solution is to ONLY populate the left side memory slots and NOT to put any RAM modules on the right side.

I have a 7980XE on a R6E.

I had the same issues from the very beginning, but did not RMA it (should have done that) because I was trying and hoping the next uCode or the next BIOS would solve it, but they never did... Further, it was quite frankly difficult to isolate the issue: is it the uCode, RAM board etc - very hard because it sometimes takes days before the lock up occur - but eventually it always locks up. I've tried EVERY bios and EVERY uCode since release. In all cases, eventually the system just lock up.

And then I found this tread:https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?109123-asus-rampage-vi-extreme-ram-problem/page2

Summary from this thread:

Root cause:
In summary, the right hand side memory channels are not stable on some R6E boards.
If you ONLY populate the left hand side ram slots, the system becomes stable.
The moment you use ANY of the right hand side RAM slots the system destabilizes.
To test and convince yourself, you can try to populate ONLY right hand side slots (try just one) to see if you can provoke more frequent freezes - then you you know for sure. I did that and that really tripped up the system much faster. For me and my R6E board it was no difference which right hand side slot I populated, they were all equally unstable.
Then try to just populate the left hand side RAM slots(noting on the right side) and run it for a week or 2. If it does not look up you know you have this issue.

After much testing (different ram modules and putting the 7980XE in a R6EE to verify that's it not the CPU - it worked there) by means of elimination the conclusion is that some R6E boards are (mine certainly is) unstable when you populate the right side RAM slots. Many others have the same issue see the thread.

Solution:
Only populate the left side memory slots.

Of course this means cutting your memory channels in half which sucks but at least it's 100% stable.

Thank you so much! I moved all RAM to the left side and enabled XMP again. Lets see how long until it freezes again 🙂 i'll report again.

cekeu
Level 12
or go back to a stable bios.

cekeu wrote:
or go back to a stable bios.

As i wrote here, none of the BIOS Versions were completly stable.

I've tried many BIOS versions over the last 2 years, some of theme were more stable, some of them completly unusable

Even tho i'm pretty convinced i did notice some differences between them which seems to be strange if it's a hardware issue. I'll test the RAM to the left side now and report again.

Now, few days later, i can confirm that moving all RAM to the left side on the mainboard did help. Since i changed it, i did not have a single freeze again which did happen every 2-6hrs before.

Thanks again

SchwiizerFranke wrote:
Now, few days later, i can confirm that moving all RAM to the left side on the mainboard did help. Since i changed it, i did not have a single freeze again which did happen every 2-6hrs before.

Thanks again

Glad to hear that it solved it. In experience the missing memory channels is not as big of a deal (I keep telling myself that at least).