cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wished to purchase a mobo - an opinion, a complaint, a cry for help?

HeroClass
Level 7
To whom it may concern.

It is hoped this post is in the correct section - apologies if it is not.

Where to start? Not really sure, but perhaps with a bit of a background information.

Background information
====================
I am an middle age person who wishes to build his own computer - noted that this has nothing to do with ASUS
the reason that I tell you this, is because I have been around computers and parts for about 20 years, so I am not a stranger.

As a rule I usually just pay someone to build the pc i buy parts for - usually the shop i purchase from - because if something goes wrong, I do not have to return parts with DOA, and dont have to worry about warranty issues and mem tests etc

current situation
================
it was finally decided that I would like to put together a PC on my own.

when researching parts, I finally boiled down all my options to the "asus rog maxiumus 11 extreme" mother board with 1151 socket for the mobo.

when I finally go to purchase the part - all the computer shops say they cannot get it - it is discontinued.

cry for help
==============

thought 1
---------------
alot of research was done on this particular board, which meant alot of time effort and energy involved.

thoughts 2
---------------
does anyone know why ASUS has stopped shipping this board?
does anyone know why ASUS still has it on their website - if its discontinued?
does anyone know why ASUS would stop making a mother board - when socket 1151 cpu are still very heavily available?
does anyone know of anyway i can get these boards? please do not mention amazon or ebay....i would like to buy from a computer shop...

thought 3
----------------
It could be argued that i could just buy the Maximus 12...
one of the major things that really bite me hard is that the Maximus 11was about $800 and the new Maximus 12 is $1600....

for the price of the 12, i could buy 2 Maximus 11...

i was hoping that the price of the 11 could stay or come down when the 12 was released, but they stopped making it

and how on earth can ASUS justify $1600 for a Maximus 12 when the last one was $800! - it feels like just a cash grab, and it makes me resentful
as a long term customer of asus - yes all arguments about "quality components" are already taken into consideration...

thought 4
---------------
in my research about the socket 2066 (to which i cannot afford, and do not want) - there are rumors, which are about 1 year old, that the 2066 has alot of issues
but this may be resolved now - any feedback?

thought 5
--------------
yes i have already contacted the phone line on asus, who didn't want to take the call and forced me to use a contact form on the asus website, which has
not answered....

thanks for reading and replies if any....

i will check and hopefully reply at least once every 24 hours.
42 REPLIES 42

i might just start a new thread and let this one float to the bottom of the rog forums...

if anyone is able to answer the questions in this thread, it would be greatly appreciated...

2020-08-23 checked thread...

any possible answers?

KKN

I wish to pick your mind a little more....

if you visit this page
https://www.asus.com/au/Motherboards/WS-X299-PRO-SE/overview/
you will notice that in the image - it says 8 x DIMM 128GB ddr4 2666MHZ non ecc ram....

but if you go to this page
https://www.asus.com/au/Motherboards/WS-X299-PRO-SE/specifications/
8 x DIMM, Max. 256GB, DDR4 4133

which one is it?

2020-09-19 checked thread...

2020-09-28 checked thread...

thank you for your help kkn

i will just have to wait until the next iteration of the 2066

i have a feeling it wont be long....maybe the end of the years...

i will let this post float to the bottom list...

HeroClass wrote:
do you have any idea why the maximus rog 12 does not support 256GB memory? only 128GB?

I don't work for ASUS so I don't have any special knowledge. Perhaps it's based on the largest kits that were tested.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
I don't work for ASUS so I don't have any special knowledge. Perhaps it's based on the largest kits that were tested.

perhaps.....it just does not make sense why the "flagship,best of the best, crème de la crème etc etc etc" has half the other memory capacity of other boards in the rog line up...

HeroClass wrote:
Evening xeromist

Thank you for the reply.

Yes, its true, what you said about parts...

and i did do a search - and we are being screwed - alot - the price online is about $1049 - which (1399-1049) - which is $350
difference!

https://i.imgur.com/fziO63r.png

i would never buy grey market stuff - just because its not worth it....you hear so many stories of being being burnt...

not only that, i want to be protected under Australian consumer law - especially when paying 800+ for a mobo....

i have no choice but to wait.....thats ok - will give me time to study the new board - but from what I can tell, on what information
i can get, its nearly identical except for the cpu socket....

do you have any idea why the maximus rog 12 does not support 256GB memory? only 128GB?

the maximum of memory banks on the motherboard and CPU limitations.
remember this LGA1200 is dual channel and not quad channel as the LGA2066 chipset is.

Morning KKN,

Thank you for your reply, it is appreciated ....

That was the answer I was looking for - so its a CPU limitation for the memory capacity - ...now I understand that.

So really what I am now aiming for is a 2066 socket based upon the assumption that " is it safe to assume the quad channel memory is better then the dual channel."?
but this brings up a whole heap of other questions that i will get too shortly...

also thank you for the link -
i have used the comparison on the link you provided before - and although it shows the difference aspects of the board, they do not describe what you did - and that is the extreme is for LNG

The reason why this is important to me, is because some where, on some part of the internet along time ago, i read that more expensive boards have better capacitors and components then lower end boards - and that is what was running through my mind, and when trying to decipher that through the comparison on the website, it does not make that clear.....

Now here is the next set of questions

I phoned up a parts supplier for the 2066 rampage board - and the guy said to me - they do not stock it because its old and the latest is the 1200 socket (which is true) but from what I can understand is that the 2066 future is pretty much dead and there is no replacement for it at the moment - at least to get 256gb of ram on a board at the moment.....

all the reviews i have found or seen on 2066 seems to indicate to stay the hell away from 2066...am i wrong in this assumption in 2020?
Also does you know why they have not implemented pcie 4.0?

thank you in advance for reading

2020-08-27 checked thread...