cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wished to purchase a mobo - an opinion, a complaint, a cry for help?

HeroClass
Level 7
To whom it may concern.

It is hoped this post is in the correct section - apologies if it is not.

Where to start? Not really sure, but perhaps with a bit of a background information.

Background information
====================
I am an middle age person who wishes to build his own computer - noted that this has nothing to do with ASUS
the reason that I tell you this, is because I have been around computers and parts for about 20 years, so I am not a stranger.

As a rule I usually just pay someone to build the pc i buy parts for - usually the shop i purchase from - because if something goes wrong, I do not have to return parts with DOA, and dont have to worry about warranty issues and mem tests etc

current situation
================
it was finally decided that I would like to put together a PC on my own.

when researching parts, I finally boiled down all my options to the "asus rog maxiumus 11 extreme" mother board with 1151 socket for the mobo.

when I finally go to purchase the part - all the computer shops say they cannot get it - it is discontinued.

cry for help
==============

thought 1
---------------
alot of research was done on this particular board, which meant alot of time effort and energy involved.

thoughts 2
---------------
does anyone know why ASUS has stopped shipping this board?
does anyone know why ASUS still has it on their website - if its discontinued?
does anyone know why ASUS would stop making a mother board - when socket 1151 cpu are still very heavily available?
does anyone know of anyway i can get these boards? please do not mention amazon or ebay....i would like to buy from a computer shop...

thought 3
----------------
It could be argued that i could just buy the Maximus 12...
one of the major things that really bite me hard is that the Maximus 11was about $800 and the new Maximus 12 is $1600....

for the price of the 12, i could buy 2 Maximus 11...

i was hoping that the price of the 11 could stay or come down when the 12 was released, but they stopped making it

and how on earth can ASUS justify $1600 for a Maximus 12 when the last one was $800! - it feels like just a cash grab, and it makes me resentful
as a long term customer of asus - yes all arguments about "quality components" are already taken into consideration...

thought 4
---------------
in my research about the socket 2066 (to which i cannot afford, and do not want) - there are rumors, which are about 1 year old, that the 2066 has alot of issues
but this may be resolved now - any feedback?

thought 5
--------------
yes i have already contacted the phone line on asus, who didn't want to take the call and forced me to use a contact form on the asus website, which has
not answered....

thanks for reading and replies if any....

i will check and hopefully reply at least once every 24 hours.
42 REPLIES 42

thank you for explaining that....

- i would not go for a Xeon processor - due to price vs value vs what it does...and from what i have researched - apparently its not as good for gaming..although - i admit my dirty little secret
that i have always wanted a xeon prorcessor- well a dual processor board 😄
- i am glad to see that SE is confirmed as second edition...-- i wonder if that means they stuffed up on the first version of the board?

- yes - so many errors on these forums 😞 - the error i had was a white page with black text - and the server seemed pretty serious vs a normal "you stuffed up" error message...

- WHY - WHY CANT THEY MAKE A WORK STATION BOARD WITH ALL THE BELLS AND WHISTLES sigh....

- yes, i am the same with the life span of x299..but i suppose that is the same story with all technology, buy today, launch new version tomorrow!....

- yes..i am still researching - but you did help me alot with reminding me about work station boards.......thank you

kkn
Level 14
Intel® Core™ X-series Processors (6-core above)
8 x DIMM, Max. 256GB, DDR4 4133(O.C.)/4000(O.C.)/3600(O.C.)/2933/2666/2400 MHz Non-ECC, Un-buffered Memory

Intel® Core™ X-series Processors (4-core)
4 x DIMM, Max. 64GB, DDR4 4133(O.C.)/4000(O.C.)/3600(O.C.)/2666/2400 MHz Non-ECC, Un-buffered Memory

thats only on 6 core cpus and abow, as stated in the specs as you can see.

have a look in the manual maby if you are qurious
https://www.asus.com/au/Motherboards/WS-X299-PRO-SE/HelpDesk_Manual/

Morning KKN

Sorry for the delay in response

Life does not always go the way you want when you look after disabled blind people - and thus the delay...

Thank you for your response...

yes i will look at the manual - simply because the image on the website appears to be incorrect or at the very least confusing..

what i do not understand with labeling, who as an enthusiast, uses less then 6 cores? yes i hear the screams of "someone might not be able to afford a high end cpu"

but in all seriousness - how many people who build their own computer with this type of board would use less then 6 cores?

...i have done some additional research - and apparently there is a rumor of a z299 - supposedly lurking but has not been released...

and with x299 being as old as it is......and with the history of intel swapping sockets....all i can think of , is to wait and see...