cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 8.1...

djdelirius
Level 10
So I just update my XPS 12 convertible from Windows 8 to 8.1 and it is the worst OS I have ever owned. It's caused SOO many problems with internet explorer....I can't even use it for long without some kind of errors to where I have to reload the page. Not one of my plug ins work either. Is anyone else experiencing problems GALORE with 8.1 or should I just do a fresh install?
10 REPLIES 10

stock12to32
Level 10
I upgraded to windows 8.1 three days ago and found that all my usb 3.0 ports no longer work. I have moved the usb's to the 2.0 ports and now they are working fine. I was going to sit down this weekend and see if I could find a solution to this problem and that is what brought me here today. I have not had any problem with explorer but I have talked to someone at work that is.
Have you tried to see if the problem is isolated to only your usb 3.0 ports ?
3dMark11: P13350
http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/6105510

System:
ASUS Crosshair V Formila BIOS 1703
AMD FX 8350 @ 25x 200 = 5Ghz (water cooled)
16Gb Patriot Vipper Xtreme DDR3 2133Mhz
x3 ATI HD6970 trifire @ 920Mhz GPU and 1400Mhz Memory
x2 128Gb Samsung 830 Series SSD RAID-0
128Gb OCZ Agility 3 SSD
x2 1Tb 7200RPM Hardrives RAID-0
LEPA 1600W PSU
Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow
x3 27" ASUS LED LCD (eyfinity)
LG Blue-Ray
Logitech G110 Keyboard
Logitech G500 Mouse
Windows 8 64 bit

stock12to32 wrote:
I upgraded to windows 8.1 three days ago and found that all my usb 3.0 ports no longer work. I have moved the usb's to the 2.0 ports and now they are working fine. I was going to sit down this weekend and see if I could find a solution to this problem and that is what brought me here today. I have not had any problem with explorer but I have talked to someone at work that is.
Have you tried to see if the problem is isolated to only your usb 3.0 ports ?

I use ROG Maximus V Formula and I noticed this problem when I upgraded to Windows 8.1. I removed the Asmedia USB 3.0 Driver from Programs and Features in the control panel and removed the Asmedia USB 3.0 from Device Manager and redetected hardware. The Windows 8.1 installed the new drivers automatically and the Asmedia USB 3.0 works perfectly afterwards. I hope this will work for you.

stock12to32
Level 10
I found this post "After installing Windows 8.1., USB 3.0 ports don't work."

Answer
jason_ruz replied on June 28, 2013

I fixed this problem by uninstalling an ASUS utility included with AI Suite II called USB 3.0 Boost 1.04.03. (Look for AI Suite II in Programs and Features.)

I think it is an Windows 8.1 upgrade issue. I was able to reinstall the USB 3.0 Boost utility and my USB3 ports continued working. I also noticed that the utility bundles the Asmedia ASM104x USB 3.0 Host Controller Driver.

I have a ASUS P8Z77-M motherboard.

3dMark11: P13350
http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/6105510

System:
ASUS Crosshair V Formila BIOS 1703
AMD FX 8350 @ 25x 200 = 5Ghz (water cooled)
16Gb Patriot Vipper Xtreme DDR3 2133Mhz
x3 ATI HD6970 trifire @ 920Mhz GPU and 1400Mhz Memory
x2 128Gb Samsung 830 Series SSD RAID-0
128Gb OCZ Agility 3 SSD
x2 1Tb 7200RPM Hardrives RAID-0
LEPA 1600W PSU
Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow
x3 27" ASUS LED LCD (eyfinity)
LG Blue-Ray
Logitech G110 Keyboard
Logitech G500 Mouse
Windows 8 64 bit

Shawnnepc
Level 13
djdelirius wrote:
So I just update my XPS 12 convertible from Windows 8 to 8.1 and it is the worst OS I have ever owned. It's caused SOO many problems with internet explorer....I can't even use it for long without some kind of errors to where I have to reload the page. Not one of my plug ins work either. Is anyone else experiencing problems GALORE with 8.1 or should I just do a fresh install?

I have the same product and am not experiencing any issues with my XPS 12 after the 8.1 upgrade. *at least not any NEW issues

It's possible something didn't upgrade right

Also, do your speakers suck?

I thought mine were blown for the longest time until I replaced them and they sound just as bad.

I guess it's possible that the replacements are defective..

Not a fan of this laptop, i've had a stupid amount of hardware issues since I purchased it. (A great deal of 1st gen units have defective LCD panels with severe ghosting issues)

I'm glad that I decided to test buy one of these before reselling them :rolleyes
USA ASUS Reseller
http://www.neteffectspc.com

Shawnnepc wrote:
I have the same product and am not experiencing any issues with my XPS 12 after the 8.1 upgrade. *at least not any NEW issues

It's possible something didn't upgrade right

Also, do your speakers suck?

I thought mine were blown for the longest time until I replaced them and they sound just as bad.

I guess it's possible that the replacements are defective..

Not a fan of this laptop, i've had a stupid amount of hardware issues since I purchased it. (A great deal of 1st gen units have defective LCD panels with severe ghosting issues)

I'm glad that I decided to test buy one of these before reselling them :rolleyes:

I had problems from the beginning with the Windows 8(Home) install the product shipped with. Some apps would never work right...they just went to the load screen then crashed back to the start screen. I couldn't get Camera, PDF, Weather, Skype and some others to work. The windows store was sketchy too but it still mostly worked, it would take forever to load. I then upgraded to the Windows 8 Pro version which was basically just a package download from the Windows Upgrade Anytime store. It didn't really cause anymore problems or fix any. I upgraded last week to the 8.1 Pro version which made me want to throw the comp through the window. I couldn't even open the Windows Store or basically any other metro app while IE 11 desktop is the only desktop application I've run into problems with. IE11 will crash to desktop, freeze, show an endless loading screen, etc.

I plan on just performing a clean format and install when I have time but not sure if I'm going to apply the 8.1 update when I do or not as it basically rendered my XPS to a sexy looking paper weight....or frisbee if it keeps crashing 😄

I finally found a work around for the Windows Store if anyone else experienced this problem:

Run powershell as an admin
Paste "-ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $Env:SystemRoot\WinStore\AppxManifest.xml" and hit enter
Then restart.

This didn't fix the other problems with the apps but it did fix the Windows Store problem.

Luckily I haven't had any hardware problems like you mentioned though. I bought it November of last year and it has been fine until the 8.1 "upgrade". It did take about a 2 month delay to get it due to Dell not having enough LCD panels. I'm guessing they probably purchased from a supplier with low quality standards to keep up with demand after hearing about your problem.

djdelirius wrote:
I had problems from the beginning with the Windows 8(Home) install the product shipped with. Some apps would never work right...they just went to the load screen then crashed back to the start screen. I couldn't get Camera, PDF, Weather, Skype and some others to work. The windows store was sketchy too but it still mostly worked, it would take forever to load. I then upgraded to the Windows 8 Pro version which was basically just a package download from the Windows Upgrade Anytime store. It didn't really cause anymore problems or fix any. I upgraded last week to the 8.1 Pro version which made me want to throw the comp through the window. I couldn't even open the Windows Store or basically any other metro app while IE 11 desktop is the only desktop application I've run into problems with. IE11 will crash to desktop, freeze, show an endless loading screen, etc.

I plan on just performing a clean format and install when I have time but not sure if I'm going to apply the 8.1 update when I do or not as it basically rendered my XPS to a sexy looking paper weight....or frisbee if it keeps crashing 😄

I finally found a work around for the Windows Store if anyone else experienced this problem:

Run powershell as an admin
Paste "-ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $Env:SystemRoot\WinStore\AppxManifest.xml" and hit enter
Then restart.

This didn't fix the other problems with the apps but it did fix the Windows Store problem.

Luckily I haven't had any hardware problems like you mentioned though. I bought it November of last year and it has been fine until the 8.1 "upgrade". It did take about a 2 month delay to get it due to Dell not having enough LCD panels. I'm guessing they probably purchased from a supplier with low quality standards to keep up with demand after hearing about your problem.

I did some patches on my 8.1 XPS 12 and am now experiencing the same issues as you. I also can't shut the unit off without hitting the power button.
USA ASUS Reseller
http://www.neteffectspc.com

Shawnnepc wrote:
I did some patches on my 8.1 XPS 12 and am now experiencing the same issues as you. I also can't shut the unit off without hitting the power button.

Try these fixes. They corrected most of the problems for me.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-windows_store/windows-store-didnt-work-a...

djdelirius wrote:
....or frisbee if it keeps crashing 😄

Well, I just had to say that. I accidentally dropped my XPS 12 and it started rolling around like a Frisbee. It has some annoying dents and scratches now but it still works like a champ. My heart dropped when I ummm....dropped it. I just thought I'd share the irony of this with you guys. :confused:

Peregrine
Level 9
Mine went fine.
Asus Z170X + Asus GeFroce GTX Turbo 1070 +... all kinds of Asus goodies. #Fanboi