cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 10 security concerns.

muphybird
Level 7
In another thread on this site, I reported on random shutdowns I have experienced on bootup on my Asus 751JY laptop. These problems started after upgrading my computer to Windows10.
I expressed concerns that Windows10 may have corrupted my Bios.
Most people never give their Bios a second thought, but without it a computer isn't even capable of turning on and is effectively a brick.
In every previous version of Windows prior to Windows 10, as far as I know, the only way to enter your Bios was to press a specific key like "F2" on bootup.
Now with Windows10 you can enter Bios directly without pressing a specific key.
Am I the only person who sees a back door for a hacker with malicious intent to exploit the Windows10 source code to take control of a computer's Bios, which is vital to the very operation and security of your computer.
In my view, this is a disaster waiting to happen. I would be interested in hearing what others on this site have to say in this regard.
1 REPLY 1

xeromist
BIOS/UEFI load happens before the OS loads, by definition. The OS doesn't have any inherent undue influence because any low level permissions are explicitly granted to the OS. The recent Intel vulnerabilities are not a Win10 issue. I'm really not sure what you're referring to.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…