cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 10 offering a wrong BIOS update for asus motherboard.

jlmcr87
Level 9
I have an asus maximus viii motherboard with z170 chipset. If I go to the device administrator in windows 10 and push update drivers automatically in Firmware, an update called Lenovo H110 System Firmware 0.30 appears. Can you do something? I think this is dangerous to my pc.

I have the latest bios 1601 installed.
10 REPLIES 10

Black_Phoenix
Level 8
Well that's for a Lenovo made Intel H110 MB, and yours is not for sure that. Don't Install it!!!

That's why I always disable Automatic Driver Updates from Microsoft Upgrade.

Maybe Asus should contact Microsoft about this....could break some PC´s.

You should report it to Microsoft Support.

Praz
Level 13
Hello

As noted above contact Microsoft as this has nothing to do with ASUS.

I've got exactly the same issue with my Max VIII Ranger.

In Win10 control panel, device manager indicates under FIRMWARE - LENOVO H110 System Firmware 0.30 dated 17/3/2016.

This entry is triangled and under properties:
"This device cannot work properly until you restart your computer. (Code 14)
Click Restart Computer to restart your computer."

I have recently updated bios to 1601 and wonder if this is where it has come from. However upon restarting the entire PC hung and I had to reinstate the BIOS to get beyond Q code A5.

Having done this I am left wondering if I should uninstall. Is this perhaps resulting from an (ASUS unintended) MS auto update arising from the BIOS update - or is there perhaps another ASUS equivalent driver which should have been auto installed instead.

Hi again. I have just uninstalled this Lenovo firmware device in CP and it has been replaced by a generic MS device under firmware which seems not to have any problems - that I can yet discover.
Please excuse my appearing thick but how exactly does one prevent automatic updates from MS in Windows 10?
Can someone please advise?

Forgot to mention in my earlier post that I did attempt to UPDATE DRIVER for the Lenovo Firmware device and an update did occur. However, it was upon reboot that the PC froze during POST and I had to recover by re-install of the latest BIOS by Flashback. Luckily I still had the file I had used last week.

If anyone else runs into this issue DO NOT ATTEMPT TO UPDATE THE DRIVER (for the Lenovo firmware device) - if you do you will probably face a system crash like I did - and have to re-install your BIOS to recover.

artace wrote:
Hi again. I have just uninstalled this Lenovo firmware device in CP and it has been replaced by a generic MS device under firmware which seems not to have any problems - that I can yet discover.
Please excuse my appearing thick but how exactly does one prevent automatic updates from MS in Windows 10?

Forgot to mention in my earlier post that I did attempt to UPDATE DRIVER for the Lenovo Firmware device and an update did occur. However, it was upon reboot that the PC froze during POST and I had to recover by re-install of the latest BIOS by Flashback. Luckily I still had the file I had used last week.

If anyone else runs into this issue DO NOT ATTEMPT TO UPDATE THE DRIVER (for the Lenovo firmware device) - if you do you will probably face a system crash like I did - and have to re-install your BIOS to recover.

You should NEVER install a BIOS or FIRMWARE that isn't for your equipment, not even for trying... You recovered ok, but your could had Bricked totally your MB.

To block MS Auto Driver Update in Windows 10:

http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/stop-automatic-driver-updates-windows-10

The window should had change a little from this page, but the option is the:

artace wrote:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have the same issue on my Maximus hero 8 z170 MB,

I have tried to uninstall and it still freezes at boot.
I force shutdown holding the power button and it take me to the bios "hit F1" overclock failed screen after that i'm able to save & quit bios and boot in windows...
But after rebooting it freezes again and needs to be shutdown holding the power button... I'll try to manually replace the driver with a microsoft one...

can you give me any details about the generic MS driver that your system is using???

ps: i've already tried to reflash the 1601 bios/uefi ... no success

bobtelco wrote:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have the same issue on my Maximus hero 8 z170 MB,

I have tried to uninstall and it still freezes at boot.
I force shutdown holding the power button and it take me to the bios "hit F1" overclock failed screen after that i'm able to save & quit bios and boot in windows...
But after rebooting it freezes again and needs to be shutdown holding the power button... I'll try to manually replace the driver with a microsoft one...

can you give me any details about the generic MS driver that your system is using???

ps: i've already tried to reflash the 1601 bios/uefi ... no success

I was able to fix it...
from device manager /firmware/ update device driver /browse my computer for driver / let me pick from a list on my computer... select system firmware...

all is fixed and back to normal 🙂