cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Win 10 disable ?

Heini
Level 11
We've always been able to 'disable' updates in Win 10 until recently. One of the updates added something called "Windows Update Medic Service" which I believe resets update from 'disabled' to 'manual'. Manual allows Win to download updates automatically but you install them manually. So, my ? is, how do we "DISABLE" update completely until we want to look for pertinent updates without 'Medic Service' over-riding our disable decision?
4 REPLIES 4

davemon50
Level 11
Use gpedit, and edit the local policy under Windows Update. You have to enable "Configure Windows Updates". Then set your policy from there.
Davemon50

Lu_GRU
Level 9
On 1703 used SysInternals Autoruns64 (run as admin) and then disabled both service and scheduled task for everything update and medic related. IIRC You will need to take ownership of some of the tasks using regedit.
I used this method because sysinternals allows to go back and re-enable / visualise made changes (checkboxes next to entries).
This should work on every version not only PRO.

Korth
Level 14
I just configure my router (firmware firewall) to block all of Microsoft's Update IPs, lol.
I don't trust Windows itself, too much dodgy Microsoft stuff (autoupdating, autoconfiguration, telemetry, and remote vulnerabilities) already happening under the hood. So Windows sometimes complains about being unable to update (and, according to my router logs, it tries to ping the Microsoft mothership every session even after it's been explicitly configured several ways to NEVER update anything), but it "cannot establish a connection" (router blocks all traffic to/from the IPs) so nothing can be quietly checked or downloaded or installed/changed/broken and it has no option other than scheduling another (clandestine) attempt after the current session ends. Microsoft might "secretly" have full control over my WinOS but they can't touch my hardware/firmware devices (which, incidentally, I only login admin while running a linux, that's how little I trust closed-source proprietary operating systems, haha).

I download/install updates manually from the Microsoft Update Catalog when needed. As a bonus, they download hella faster (and only need to ever be downloaded once) and they install hella faster (by completely bypassing the usual bloaty component-driven WindowsUpdate kludge). Plus it's always convenient to archive a local copy of each version of each thing in case I need to rollback or apply updates to multiple machines - or in case Microsoft ever takes specific Updates offline (which they have done before, for whatever reasons, even when these specific Updates happen to work perfectly or work better than their newer counterparts on my machines).
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Lu_GRU
Level 9
To add up to Kort info:
If You don't want to mess around with Your router filter rules, because i.e. it has buggy fw or small amount of RAM etc., or other machines on LAN are suppose to get updates (i.e. PC for other family members) then update:
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts

file and add rules i.e.:

0.0.0.0 msnbot-191-232-139-93.search.msn.com

don't use 127.0.0.1, search in google for list.
NOTE: This also works as ads block.