cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why my Intel i9 7940X is so slow?

FoxAdriano
Level 11
Hello, I have an almost new PC and today I have copied and pasted 2 folders with inside many and heavy files from a hardisk with USB3 to the SSD of my PC. I noticed these performances that I attach. Does it seem normal to you? Under "Use" I sometimes see 1% or 2%.
I have this hardware:
CPU: Intel i9 7940X
MOTHERBOARD: Asus PRIME X299-DELUXE
VIDEOCARD: NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1080Ti
SSD Drive: 512GB Samsung 960 EVO PCIe M.2 NVMe
Grazie per qualche info.
3 REPLIES 3

Menthol
Level 14
Fox,
I believe how fast the files transfer would be more important than CPU usage. If files are being transferred at the expected speed, less CPU usage it takes is better, more efficient
I see disk 8 is at 100% usage, that must be your USB 3 drive

It's not just them, I have a 7940X as well on a rampage VI extreme with 960 pros in nvme and an 850 evo and things (aside from windows on x299) take a long time to load, transfers to/from flash drives is slow compared to other builds, and the PC in general is pretty laggy. I'm about to reinstall windows, even though I just installed it a few months ago. I run latencymonitor on multiple systems and it keeps telling me my system is having trouble handling real-time audio and other tasks due to buffer underruns and drop outs, with levels that go fairly high compared to other builds I've done that don't go up at all (an i3 8100 and an i7 7700K).

Pretty pissed, especially since the latest BIOS releases (1201 & 1301 released 3/20/18) caused blue screens on boot up too. This whole system has been nothing but buggy since I've built it. Grrrrrr

Menthol
Level 14
Post times are longer on HEDT platform but file transfer, pcie-nvme, sata, USB should be about the same as Z270 - Z370 systems as the PCH and DMI buss is very close to the same on X299 system