cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who is responsible for warranty past 30 days, retailer or manufacturer (in the UK)?

DeeEM
Level 8
Hello. My motherboard stopped working about a month ago. I bought it from Amazon UK on June 17, 2016. Maximus VIII Hero. I contacted ASUS and they suggested RMA but said it was up to the retailer to deal with it as it's still under warranty. I contacted Amazon UK and they said they don’t accept returns after 30 days and that it is the manufacturers responsibility.
Who is supposed to help me?
10 REPLIES 10

xeromist
Sounds like the ASUS person you spoke to misunderstood. When the retailer return period ends, manufacturer warranty starts. I would try calling them again.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

DeeEM
Level 8
Thanks for the info. 🙂 I'll try calling ASUS tomorrow. My initial contact with ASUS was done through email. This is what they said about the warranty.
Based on described issue and troubleshooting done we can suggest RMA.

I understand this is inconvenient, however in this case we suggest you contact your retailer for advice on returns/replacement or any other options they can offer. As part of the sale process the retailer accepted that they would control all returns/replacement on behalf of ASUS for the duration of the warranty. They should be able to sort this out for you. ASUS has no other policy on these devices; We cannot replace or repair these devices directly.

Our apologies for the inconveniences caused to you.

I tried putting in my serial at rma.asus-europe.eu/uk but it says wrong serial number. Hopefully, the phone call goes well tomorrow.

DeeEM wrote:
Thanks for the info. 🙂 I'll try calling ASUS tomorrow. My initial contact with ASUS was done through email. This is what they said about the warranty.

I tried putting in my serial at rma.asus-europe.eu/uk but it says wrong serial number. Hopefully, the phone call goes well tomorrow.

I had to rma my board in March , ASUs sent me exactly the same response, so I contacted uktechstore where purchased and sent them the ASUs reply email.
They accepted the return to themselves quite willingly, from there they send it to ASUs and await return to forward to me,, but that was March so after I contacted them on its status *uktechstore have now said they will just forward a replacement to me and await for the return from ASUs.
Good news in the end, but what a wait!.*

I tried contacting Asus by phone yesterday. There's a menu where you select which product you're having trouble with. After selecting motherboard it asks you to fill in the online form (which I've already tried) and then it ends the call.

Rob W. wrote:
I had to rma my board in March , ASUs sent me exactly the same response, so I contacted uktechstore where purchased and sent them the ASUs reply email.
They accepted the return to themselves quite willingly, from there they send it to ASUs and await return to forward to me,, but that was March so after I contacted them on its status *uktechstore have now said they will just forward a replacement to me and await for the return from ASUs.
Good news in the end, but what a wait!.*

Thanks for the info. How far into your warranty were you? I contacted Amazon UK again today and they said that they do cover for the warranties but only for a two-year window. After that, they say it is solely the manufacturer's responsibility. They repeated this over the phone and through the live chat. I showed them/read out the Asus email which states otherwise, but that didn't convince them. I asked them if they could contact Asus for me, to solve this, but they said they couldn't.

I can't reach Asus by phone and the lines are closed until Monday anyway. I sent an email but I don't think I'll get a reply by Monday either, which is when my warranty is probably up. This is so frustrating. 😞

DeeEM wrote:
I tried contacting Asus by phone yesterday. There's a menu where you select which product you're having trouble with. After selecting motherboard it asks you to fill in the online form (which I've already tried) and then it ends the call.

Thanks for the info. How far into your warranty were you? I contacted Amazon UK again today and they said that they do cover for the warranties but only for a two-year window. After that, they say it is solely the manufacturer's responsibility. They repeated this over the phone and through the live chat. I showed them/read out the Asus email which states otherwise, but that didn't convince them. I asked them if they could contact Asus for me, to solve this, but they said they couldn't.

I can't reach Asus by phone and the lines are closed until Monday anyway. I sent an email but I don't think I'll get a reply by Monday either, which is when my warranty is probably up. This is so frustrating. 😞

hi DeeEM
*I believe about six months into warranty, ASUs did state if I had problems with the supplier to get back to them but this was not needed,
Amazon’s three month return is for direct replacement or refund after that it relies on the warranty for repair or replacement by ASUs but should be handled by amazon.
If amazon still refuse then I would send there email to ASUs and ask for a direct rma ticket.
Realy hope you get it sorted soon.*

In New Zealand for a starter you get a year minimum warranty on a New Product which would be subtracted from the manufacturers warranty so if the manufacturers warranty is 5 years you would get 1 under law and the additional four, 1 is the bare minimum but if a manufacturer gives more then you get more..

Also, if you brought a product from X computer store it would be the responsibility regardless of if it was year 1 end or year 3 end for X computer store to deal with the problem, you would return the product to them and they would fix the problem and deal with the manufacturer.

If the problem can not be fixed and it is a material defect or failure which is not of your making then you could get a full refund. I.E you had not submersed it in a fish tank. - Thinks are very strict here when it comes to consumer products but if the warranty you are getting is 30 days I would be appalled.

Good luck and personally I think amazon should step up.
I truly believe that there are people on this planet who should voluntarily remove them selves from the gene pool.
Maximus IV Extreme Z/16G/2600K, Rampage V Extreme Edition 10/32G/6900K, G751JY-T7042H
Zenith Extreme Alpha/64G/2950x , X399 Prime A/32G/1900X
Power Mad Mu ha ha ha

xeromist
That's strange. I've never heard of Amazon brokering RMAs for someone else. I guess if Amazon and ASUS worked something out in the UK it's likely not even many employees are aware. That said, I'm skeptical. Why would Amazon want to do that? I could see that with a boutique seller performing customization but not Amazon.

EDIT: Appears this is wrong. Several comments indicating AMZN does take the return. So anyone having this issue, keep bugging them!
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Ashwind
Level 9
I am also in the UK and have bought a maximus formula from Amazon in dec 2017, the board stopped working in dec 2018 so I contacted ASUS requesting a RMA and they gave me the same response, so I got hold of Amazon and sent them a copy of the ASUS reply .
Amazon then sent me a replacement. The replacement was a dead board, the board was an obvious customer return as all the plastic film was missing on the plastic parts of the mobo and there were also a couple of marks on it. Amazon did send me another replacement that has worked fine since.
So for me at least Amazon does/did take returns after 30 days (1 year in my case), and also I did not have to wait for amazon to rma the board with asus ect, I had postage tracking for the replacements before I had even posted the faulty board

Also had recent contant with ASUS email support in the UK over a faulty graphics card that is around 18 months old.
Got this reply:
[Contact the seller to make a warranty claim for the GPU, our graphics cards come with 36 months warranty, but they're not RMA'd directly with ASUS.
As part of the sale process the retailer accepted that they would control all returns/replacement on behalf of ASUS for the full duration of the warranty.]

Awaiting a reply from the supplier now with it being this long ago.