cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who do i need to speak with to get this obnoxiously (arbitrary?) setting lifted?

klepp0906x2
Level 7
So I run 4 displays. 3 in surround, 1 accessory.

My accessory is essentially my main display for everything BUT games.

Having 4 displays hooked up to my primary GPUs stops them from downclocking properly so i figured id get some use out of the igpu and have quicksync at my disposal to boot.

Well turns out i cant have my cake and eat it too. I have 32gb of ram yet the igpu is locked at 64mb when not using it for the main display? o.O Wut?! Why??

Can this be removed stat. I cant even USE adobe dimension as the images are all corrupted. Unacceptable.
8 REPLIES 8

MasterC
Community Admin
Community Admin
It would help to mention what hardware you have and how you've connected everything (HDMI, DisplayPort).

klepp0906x2
Level 7
I apologize. Days of troubleshooting top to bottom with kids is a tall order for the tallest of men 😛

As far as i can tell ala research, this has been an enforced limit for generations so i dont expect that my specific hardware will make any difference. That being said....

Maximus X Formula w/ 1401
1080 FE x2

all connected via DP

The bios has a tooltip that explains if your going to use the igpu for multiple monitor that the vram from shraed memory will be limited to 64mb whereas if you use it as your sole gpu it allows you to select up to a gig.

Now ill admit this is well above my paygrade, but what is the reasoning behind limiting it in the former scenario? Especially with an abundance of spare memory? I could share 4gigs with it and not flinch, and im being pegged at 64mb which causes OBS to glitch out, Adobe dimension to glitch out, and those are the only two ive ran across before i shut'er down and reverted to my former solution with all displays on the discrete gpus.

Eager to hear back though.

What happened to the good ole days of custom modded bios' 😛

chevell65
Level 12
Looking at my EFI bios the problem seems to be if you have integrated and discrete graphics enabled then you are limited to 64m memory for the iGPU.

If you have only the integrated graphics enabled then you can use the 1024m setting for memory.

I can see your dilemma now, how frustrating!

Now I'm wondering why they had to limit the memory when both integrated and discrete graphics are enabled?

davemon50
Level 11
Just curious if you can use the DP chain-link feature available on some monitors to trick the computer so you can down-clock correctly and not use the IGPU. Essentially create 3 connections to your cards in lieu of 4.
Davemon50

davemon50 wrote:
Just curious if you can use the DP chain-link feature available on some monitors to trick the computer so you can down-clock correctly and not use the IGPU. Essentially create 3 connections to your cards in lieu of 4.

now THAT i never considered and will look into. If feasable would still only solve half the battle. As apart from having the cards downclock, some load being shouldered by the igpu as opposed to my gpus which have plenty to push (4680x2560 worth) is the win/win.

Im not holding my breath with the daisy chain idea working anyhow since I run surround - im not sure how it would distinguish whats displayed on the 4th from the 3rd that its chained to which would be part of the "surround" display - if that makes sense.

Ultimately, id love to see the limit lifted. I dont think that any pc today that is capable of running windows 10, has only 64mb to spare. The limit seems insane to me.

Course as i mentioned, this has been a thing for a "minute" so the only shot at it changing is if noise is made by a lot more than me 😛

Id still like to understand why it is so. Perhaps there's a technological hard limit that goes above my head /shrug. Sorta like after 10 years SLI still only functioning properly in exclusive fullscreen which causes oh so many headaches 😛 But thats another post for another day.

Thanks for the replies guys!

MasterC
Community Admin
Community Admin
Perhaps you can try increasing your dedicated video memory via Windows:
Right-click Start
Click Run
Type in msconfig
Select the Boot tab
Click on Advanced Options
Check Maximum memory
Specify the maximum amount (optional, ~2GB is the max allowed)
OK and restart.

MasterC@ASUS wrote:
Perhaps you can try increasing your dedicated video memory via Windows:
Right-click Start
Click Run
Type in msconfig
Select the Boot tab
Click on Advanced Options
Check Maximum memory
Specify the maximum amount (optional, ~2GB is the max allowed)
OK and restart.

ill take a look at this and post back immediately. if it overrides the bios, ill sing your praises till the cows come home. Ive spent far too much time on this to hold my breath but boy would i be elated.

Even tried over volting and overclocking the igpu to the hilt with no luck. ironically dimension calls for 512mb vram. it still works - its just corrupted and flickery. Same with obs. no idea what the minimum specs on that are but apparently over 64mb as its corrupted and flickery 😛

anyhow be back at some point. buuuuusy as irl goes ><

klepp0906x2 wrote:
ill take a look at this and post back immediately. if it overrides the bios, ill sing your praises till the cows come home. Ive spent far too much time on this to hold my breath but boy would i be elated.

Even tried over volting and overclocking the igpu to the hilt with no luck. ironically dimension calls for 512mb vram. it still works - its just corrupted and flickery. Same with obs. no idea what the minimum specs on that are but apparently over 64mb as its corrupted and flickery 😛

anyhow be back at some point. buuuuusy as irl goes ><

whelp.. that was a ****show 😛

apparently limiting the vram on boot causes my other displays from my discrete gpus to just take a dump 😛 couldnt get em to work at all.

tried 2048 which is the lmit as stated by you, no dice. Tried 1024 thikning it had to do with the limit in the EFI regarding the igpu under non restrained conditions, no bueno. Removed the limit by unchecking the box and all was back to normal. (except being able to use the hamstrung igpu for my accessory display of course ><)

still holding out for a hero (er hope)