cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which of these services can I safely disable?

aweiler86
Level 7
Hello. I bought an ASUS GR8 II-TO43Z last month and I'm worried it's running a little hot. When I run a high-resource game like Sims 3 I keep getting notifications that the CPU is reaching 90°C. As I mentioned in my last post, even when it's static or running something light like Chrome it never drops below 48°.

I used msconfig to look at services and there are 91 services always running in the background. Obviously some of these are essential to keep Windows and Wifi working, possibly also control fans and internal things. But maybe some of them are just hogging resources and I don't need. Do you see any that are safe to disable without risking the safety of hardware or software?

Non-Microsoft Services:
ASUS Com Service
AsRogAuraService
ASUS System Control Service
Intel(R) PROSet/Wireless Event Log
Intel Bluetooth Service
IMF Service
Intel(R) PROSet Monitoring Service
Intel(R) Dynamic Application Loader Host Interface Service
Intel(R) Management and Security Application Local Management Service
NVIDIA LocalSystem Container
NVIDIA Display Container LS
NVIDIA Telemetry Container
Intel(R) ProSet/Wireless Registry Service
Intel(R) ProSet/Wireless Zero Configuration Service

Microsoft Services:
AppX Deployment Service (AppXSVC)
Windows Audio Endpoint Builder
Windows Audio
Base Filtering Engine
Background Task Infrastructure Service
Bluetooth Support Service
Connected Devices Platform Service
Microsoft Office Click-to-Run Service
Client License Service (ClipSVC)
CoreMessaging
Crytographic Services
Device Association Service
DHCP Client
DNS Client
Diagnostic Policy Service
Data Usage
Windows Event Log
COM+ Event System
Windows Font Cache Service
Group Policy Client
Human Interface Device Service
IP Helper
CNG Key Isolation
Server
Workstation
Geolocation Service
Windows License Manager Service
TCP/IP NetBios Helper
Local Session Manager
Windows Firewall
Network Connection Broker
Network List Service
Network Setup Service
Network Location Awareness
Network Store Interface Service
Program Compatability Assistant Service
Plug and Play
IPsec Policy Agent
Power
Remote Accesss Connection Manager
Radio Management Service
RPC Endpoint Mapper
Security Accounts Manager
Task Scheduler
Windows Defender Security Center Service
System Event Notification Service
Shell Harware Detection
Print Spooler
SSDP discovery
Secure Socket Tunneling Protocol Service
State Repository Service
Windows Image Acquisition (WIA)
Storage Service
Superfetch
System Events Broker
Tile Data model server
Time Broker
TokenBroker
Distributed Link Tracking Client
Credential Manager
Windows Connection Manager
Diagnostic Service Host
Diagnostic System Host
Windows Defender Antivirus Service
WinHTTP Web Proxy Auto-Discovery Service
Windows Management Instrumentation
WLAN AutoConfig
Microsoft Account Sign-in Assistant
Windows Push Notifications System Service
Security Center
XBOX Live Auth Manager
Connected Devices Platform User Service_4eadb
Sync Host_4eadb
Contact Data_4eadb
User Data Storage_4eadb
User Data Access_4eadb
Windows Push Notifications User Service_4eadb
7 REPLIES 7

Heini
Level 11
Try looking HERE.

Korth
Level 14
And here - https://www.file.net/process/
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Marius_Titulesc
Level 7
Thanks for sharing, Korth. Quite the read.
I'll try deactivating some of them today.

Menthol
Level 14
There are also a couple small apps you can download and install to disable unneeded services

Spybot Antibeacon - disables some Telemetry services

Shut Up - disables the same and a little more

These allow an easy way to disable and re enable some services

You don't need Intel(R) PROSet/Wireless Event Log as this is just a process that runs in conjunction with your intel wireless driver for wireless which you don't need. The intel software for checking wireless etc to me is just bloatware and i always uninstall intel proset completely and simply use windows wireless for connecting. So unless you actually use intel proset wireless, you don't need this

coyi1895
Level 10
Just leave them alone. It's a myth that need debunking that services are resource hog and you won't see performance gain. A waste of time.

coyi1895 wrote:
Just leave them alone. It's a myth that need debunking that services are resource hog and you won't see performance gain. A waste of time.

Not really a myth. Removing/deactivating processes frees up processor and memory resources, and there's quite a few bloaty/useless things running all the time that can indeed be safely disabled during "normal" gaming use, even if the OS needs to load them in again when you do other things (like, say, open Microsoft Office). Windows has always been notorious for performance-clogging bloat ... the latest-and-greatest Win10 builds are no exception to this ... but that being said, modern hardware is immensely powerful and doesn't show much (if any) measurable slowdown unless you're running enough tons and tons of extraneous processes to actually consume all the available threads and memory.

It's an easy enough concept to prove. Just open several dozen browser instances on a variety of websites, maybe launch a windowed game or something as well, you'll eventually reach a threshold where you can't really do anything else because all your hardware resources are saturated and everything gets slowed down to the point of near unusability. Even the mouse and keyboard inputs become frustrating to use, clicking on something can take many seconds or a few minutes to even spit out an error message.

The "experts" claim Android is much smarter than Windows in this respect and even sometimes advise you never install any sort of task killer apps. But again, this argument is easily debunked by simply observing how sluggish and unresponsive the system gets when trying to simultaneously run too many things.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]