cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which board....

HeroClass
Level 7
Attention: Reader...

I am trying to find which board is best for me....

i was going to go for the Maximus 11 - but Asus stopped making that board, and the new Maximus 12 price is just theft....
my other thread on this topic can be found at
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?119867-Wished-to-purchase-a-mobo-an-opinion-a-complaint-a-...

but moving on - there seems to be very little response on that thread...so I thought I would change topics and ask for help on what would be a good replacement for the 11

Firstly, its very hard to tell the difference between the Maximus, Strix, Rampage and Workstation.....

Can someone please tell me what is the difference between those 4 types

YES - i get the work station board is heavy duty stuff...the others i am not so sure about - which category has the best components?

Is the Rampage series the same as work station board but with better bits?
is the maximus better then strix and rampage? and if so, why does it only have 128 GB instead of 256GB

what i am looking for is a rock solid board - i was thinking work station is good, but is it as good as other boards?
12 REPLIES 12

HeroClass
Level 7
Also here is a question

If i was an intel fanboy

would now be a good time to wait until they come out with something to compete with the AMD processors as AMD seem to be beating intel at the moment...

2020-08-23 checked thread...

any possible answers?

2020-08-27 checked thread...

rauf
Level 7
Maximus XI was my fav board, still own it with 9900KS 5.0/4.0 4200/17

Now....Maximus XII is pure nonsense with its price range, at least for me.
Formula - great for full cover LC solution, however 3rd party water blocks can do the same if not better. Anyway, great for clean looking builds.
Apex - definitly best for OC, due to shorter memory paths, only 2 DIMM slots, powerful VRM etc. but at the cost of no iGPU and fewer PCI-E or M.2 slots.
Hero - much better allrounder than it's Z390 predecesor.
Strix E - best from midrange series.
TUF - probably best in cost/power ratio.

Morning Rauf

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

I completely agree about the pricing of the Maximus XII - as I have said before(maybe not on these forums but others...).

I do not mind paying my way in the world and paying for quality components, but I will not be price gauged for something that I know is not worth it...

Its the reason why I will not buy apple products ie $2000 for a phone....its theft if i allow it, im sick of it, ill keep my money and they can keep their product (apple, rog any company that cannot practically justify their pricing...) and now im just ranting...but as mentioned, i do not mind paying up to $800 for a board if its best of the best....and i can justify it.......

now based on your reply...and thank you again for clarifying the difference between board names...

can you tell me, if you know, does each board name carry different capacitors or anything different component wise?

from what I can tell, no, all the boards are built of the same materials, just in a different configuration...but that does not make sense to me
simply because logically, if you think about it, different boards seem to have different heat sinks, and additional pcie....

maybe im just reading into it too much....

i guess what the new question , that i wish to ask is, which one has the best quality components.....

i have been leaning towards the 2066 on an asus rog rampage 6 extreme encore...but everyone i ask about it in the computer shops say "stay away" from it...

so im at a loss...

edit
added the word not

2020-09-02 checked thread...

2020-09-07 checked thread...

MarkJohnson
Level 9
Myself, I just got the Z390 E-Gaming, with the 9700k and 32GB RAM. It handles all game fine.

Maybe the question should be what are you using your planned build for? Unless you're going for some extreme liquid coolinjg OC records or something, not sure why you need much over a basic midrange ROG board?

You can get the F-Gaming version if you need wifi.

Thank you for your reply, if you check out this forum thread

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?119867-Wished-to-purchase-a-mobo-an-opinion-a-complaint-a-...

it will give you details about what the build is for........

but to be honest, the naming convention is very distracting from its purpose is...