cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Whats its best shutdown or sleep?

FreaKk
Level 7
Hi, i recently came with a doubt, which option will be best for hardware, shutdown the PC or put to sleep, i use 3 or 4 hours a day, always shutdown and set the switch of the psu to OFF, rarely i put it to sleep. I hope someone will throw some wisdom to this worry. Best regards!!
28 REPLIES 28

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
I'm definitely in the shutdown and PSU off camp...even then I swear it's listening :rolleyes:

Daisy... daaaisy...

Janne-71
Level 7
I always full shutdown too but never switch psu off.

sectionate
Level 12
FreaKk wrote:
Hi, i recently came with a doubt, which option will be best for hardware, shutdown the PC or put to sleep, i use 3 or 4 hours a day, always shutdown and set the switch of the psu to OFF, rarely i put it to sleep. I hope someone will throw some wisdom to this worry. Best regards!!

shutdown, so the pc doesn't hit its peak temps when you are afk/zZz. Also pending on your pc setup, if windows bsod it might go into system restore
powercfg.exe /hibernate off

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\USB]
"DisableSelectiveSuspend"=dword:00000001
Crosshair IV 1090T 4093.7 - Crosshair V FX - 8350 Batch # 1243PGT 4.422MHz - 4816.08 MHz 1.5v - GSKILL F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR(x2)1087.6 11-12-10 1.5volts - ViewSonic VX2439wm - Acer GD235HZ - SyncMaster P2350 - PowerColor Red Devil RX 480 8GBD5-3DH/OC - Current Mode: 5760 x 1080 - (retired) ASUS GTX660DC2O2GD5 - Nvidia 3D Vision Wired - HAF 932 - Corsair HX850 - Corsair H100i - latest quakelive.com - Day thirteen 60fps - as always I'm powered by Futurelooks.com

Nate152
It's normal for your pc to do a double boot after switching off the psu and is not an indication of any problem, the simple solution is to let the psu switch on after shutting down your pc.

Nate152 wrote:
It's normal for your pc to do a double boot after switching off the psu and is not an indication of any problem, the simple solution is to let the psu switch on after shutting down your pc.

I see, i had pc since 10 years, this its my 3erd build, i´m still a newbie. Thanks Nate.

Fancy0917
Level 7
I would like to shut down my PC after every usage because I don't think it is a safe idea to put it on sleep or have it on for a very long hours when not in use.

PerpetualCycle
Level 13
Sleep. Never had a problem and it comes up immediately and uses hardly any power.

ROG Hero XIII | 10900k @5.2 GHz | g.skill 2x32GB 4200 CL18 | ROG Strix 2070S | EK Nucleus 360 Dark | 6TB SSD/nvme, 16TB external HDD | 2x 1440p | Vanatoo speakers with Klipsch sub | Fractal Meshify 2 case

Shut down for me too. Unless I am going to use the system again in couple of hours or something. But at night, which is generally 6-7 hours for me, always shut down. Also with nowadays SSDs and all, it takes very small amount of time for a cold boot up even, so no REAL advantage of Sleep from my PoV.

ithehappy wrote:
Shut down for me too. Unless I am going to use the system again in couple of hours or something. But at night, which is generally 6-7 hours for me, always shut down. Also with nowadays SSDs and all, it takes very small amount of time for a cold boot up even, so no REAL advantage of Sleep from my PoV.

Agree. WIth my new SSD and the 36 second boot time (20 seconds of that being the BIOS) I shutdown too. I used to leave it on 24/7 and still believe there's nothing wrong with doing that. It costs rouglhy $5.50/month USD to run a PC 24/7. (Avg 21 cents per day).

Also agree with the poster about HD failures, though. When do har d rives fail? When power is applied. Just like light bulbs do.
Asus Z170X + Asus GeFroce GTX Turbo 1070 +... all kinds of Asus goodies. #Fanboi