cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

weird problem

edub404
Level 7
First off hello all 🙂 ....so I'm having this weird problem with my PC ,shes been running fine since it was built in may of last year but now I'm having this weird problem and I'm completely stumped. OK so I'll turn my PC on she will load fine and everything but when I launch a application let's say for example skyrim and close it then I want to open nexus mod manager to disable a mod nexus takes about 10mins to open. I'll do the same with any app that would use a lot of resources not steam for some reason 0.o but then again steam isn't a resource hog and it takes the app years to open. But from a fresh start up everything's fine. I tried checking the ram its fine(even in a different system) I tried everything I could think of no hope. I do notice something weird but then again I never look at it unless I'm testing something and that if I open the process tab in task manager and look at the memory its flat lined and no spikes or dumps. But like I said from a fresh start up and just surfing the net it will spike. ANY IDEAS IM DIEING OVER HERE :C
MOBO - Crosshair V Formula
CPU - AMD Phenom II x4 980 BE 4.2 😄 overclock
COOLER - H60 PUSH PULL
RAM - 8GB G.Skill RIPJAWS X
GPU - HD 6870x2
HDD - 1tb
PSU - Rosewill 630 This PSU is GREAT
CASE - Coolermaster Enforcer
OS - Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64bit

Simple But Gets The Job Done:cool:
23 REPLIES 23

HiVizMan
Level 40
Might be a good idea to download a small resource monitor app. Then you will have an idea what is using your systems resources. Might help you pin point what is causing this.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
Might be a good idea to download a small resource monitor app. Then you will have an idea what is using your systems resources. Might help you pin point what is causing this.

Thnx for the reply 🙂 and will do but don't you find it weird that a program will slow a pc down one with 8gb of ram? From the task manager it shows that it never goes above 2.xx gb.
COOLER - H60 PUSH PULL
GPU - HD 6870x2
HDD - 1tb

DaemonCantor
Level 13
edub404, I've seen this before and as a matter of fact if you ask chrsplmr he can tell you that this is one that drove me nuts for about a month. Anyway here's what I can tell you, it's a bad program or driver that has a BAD memory Leak and the only way to really track it down is using the Task Manager under Processes and look for the ones that are not System but have a memory of Greater than 1gig and KILL IT! what it will cause is:

Where I pointed to will drop to almost ZERO..."0" which will pretty much slow your system down to a crawl. In my case I found it was the AMD Catalyst 12.6 Drivers that were doing it to me and since I updated to the 12.8 it's fine but now I can't manage my HD5870's performance...It just won't open up that menu anymore.

I hope this helps.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Correct that is what I was hoping to isolate by the resource meter. Once you saw your usage go crazy then analyse why or what is causing that sudden surge.

66 thanks for making it so much simpler.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

edub404
Level 7
Finally someone with that same problem ill look into it when i get home
COOLER - H60 PUSH PULL
GPU - HD 6870x2
HDD - 1tb

This is what i got after running skyrim and then opening chrome don't see anything out of the ordinary.
COOLER - H60 PUSH PULL
GPU - HD 6870x2
HDD - 1tb

kkn
Level 14
x out the " show prosess from all users" to list more things you cant see.

edub404
Level 7
Nothing really high except svchost and thats at 164,456k. While typing and on youtube my free memory is at 0.
COOLER - H60 PUSH PULL
GPU - HD 6870x2
HDD - 1tb

DaemonCantor
Level 13
next time you get '0' free memory try to get a capture of the same two Task Manager Screens but check 'Show all Processes from all Users' I know the list is going to be long but it will show what's happening at that moment. Who knows we just might see what's being missed.

As far as I can see from what you posted, your in the Normal right now but not showing what's bleeding the memory out because it's not apparently active when you did the captures.