cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wait or GO! for kabylake z270!

BlueBolt
Level 7
should i wait for z270? for kabylake? any news or rumors about z270 asus rog motherboard? other brands confirm they release a new mobo for kaby lake z270.
27 REPLIES 27

Menthol
Level 14
All my Skylakes have been delided by Silicon Lottery, it's easy enough to do it yourself but I went ahead and paid them $50.00 and let them do it for me, they do a very good job and the lid is glued back on, it may not overclock any higher if you have cooling to keep the temps down but 4.8 to 4.9 an AIO is more than enough to handle the heat

This was during the HWBOT RealBench challenge using a Corsair h115i

But as Justin and Nate say the gains are from higher clocks not IC gains, still I will purchase several Kaybelake CPU's

Nate152
Detleg - That is funny, he browned up what looks like that piece of ham nicely. 😉

Menthol - To hit 5.0 GHz with a 6700k is a rare feat and to hit 5.05GHz with 1.55v with the H115i is excellent, mine can only do 4.8GHz with that voltage.

You have your ram at 3500MHz with cl 13. That is super awesome, you have good overclocking skills and nice job getting it there !

I been seeing kabylake will overclock much better than skylake.

Nate152 wrote:
I been seeing kabylake will overclock much better than skylake.

That may be true, but are there benefits? Do these benefits outweigh the negative impact on your CPU?

Skylake was a minor leap from Haswell. The 4790K was a beast. And I'm willing to bet Kaby Lake will have similar advantages compared to Skylake...Minor. I'd wait for Cannon Lake if I didn't need to upgrade right now.

Now, if people have the money...get one of each.
I'd like to deploy my troops in her country.

panzlock wrote:
That may be true, but are there benefits? Do these benefits outweigh the negative impact on your CPU?

Skylake was a minor leap from Haswell. The 4790K was a beast. And I'm willing to bet Kaby Lake will have similar advantages compared to Skylake...Minor. I'd wait for Cannon Lake if I didn't need to upgrade right now.

Now, if people have the money...get one of each.

Often astonishes me how so many push their CPU's that extra one or two hundred megahertz... (4.7, 4.8, but maybe if I reach 4.9 miraculous frame rates will be mine, yipeeee!) while failing to understand that in a well balanced system overclocking is linear. In other words if you overclock an extra 5%, you get a 5% increase in frame rate. Which by the way is meaningless. Then add to the fact that most games are GPU biased rather than CPU biased and the gains are even smaller.

So no, in reality, pushing your CPU further rarely provides worthwhile benefits in terms of frame rate. This should always be considered and balanced against the effect of heat and chip longevity.

Depends on your objectives though. If you happen to be a competitive overclocker, or just get a sense of achievement out of squeezing more out of your chip, fair enough. But in terms of worthwile gains, even when running CPU biased applications, it's rarely worth edging toward thermal limits.

quark54 wrote:
Often astonishes me how so many push their CPU's that extra one or two hundred megahertz... (4.7, 4.8, but maybe if I reach 4.9 miraculous frame rates will be mine, yipeeee!) while failing to understand that in a well balanced system overclocking is linear. In other words if you overclock an extra 5%, you get a 5% increase in frame rate. Which by the way is meaningless. Then add to the fact that most games are GPU biased rather than CPU biased and the gains are even smaller.

So no, in reality, pushing your CPU further rarely provides worthwhile benefits in terms of frame rate. This should always be considered and balanced against the effect of heat and chip longevity.

Depends on your objectives though. If you happen to be a competitive overclocker, or just get a sense of achievement out of squeezing more out of your chip, fair enough. But in terms of worthwile gains, even when running CPU biased applications, it's rarely worth edging toward thermal limits.

Exactly.

Exactly.

Competitive CPU overclockers are a niche market. Not everyone needs Kaby Lake at the price it will be released. Skylake or even Haswell will suffice.
I'd like to deploy my troops in her country.

Detleg
Level 12
yeah to do all that for everyday use is senseless, but those 2 or 3 MHz might make a big difference in benching certain applications, and just like Menthol, Meankeys and or Wizerty from this forum were all in the top 5 of the Realbench challenge on HWBOT with Wizerty winning it all and Menthol runner up so its worth it, especially too since our Nodens Coded that benchmark 😉

Detleg wrote:
yeah to do all that for everyday use is senseless, but those 2 or 3 MHz might make a big difference in benching certain applications, and just like Menthol, Meankeys and or Wizerty from this forum were all in the top 5 of the Realbench challenge on HWBOT with Wizerty winning it all and Menthol runner up so its worth it, especially too since our Nodens Coded that benchmark 😉

Yep, agree. As I said in my post, if you happen to be a competitive overclocker then it's certainly worth it. Even a slight edge can put you above your competitors. It also might apply that you just love overclocking and get a kick out of achieving the best overclock. In both cases no problem.

But as Panzlock rightly said, competitive overclocking is a "niche market". The vast majority of us aren't competitive overclockers. And I frequently see individuals deflated because their chip achieves a couple of hundred megahertz less than their friends examples. They throw their arms in the air and proclaim, "oh my god, I have a bad chip!" These individuals aren't aware that the gain or loss in terms of frame rate as a result of a hundred megahertz or so is minuscule. If you happen to be struggling with frame rate and are down to 30 frames per second, 100MHz equates to less than one frame per second. Then of course they push their CPU's to the max and experience high temps. Next step is to be fooled into thinking they need to pop off the IHS, invalidate the warranty and replace the Tim with Liquid Pro. 🙂 All the time oblivious to the fact that their favoured game desires a powerful graphics card as priority,

Overclocking is great, I love doing it and I have no issue with companies like Asus promoting the overclocking capabilities of their boards, but there's certainly a lack of appreciation for the fact that the gains from overclocking CPU's aren't what they seem.

Kaby Lake won't be a game changer in terms of performance. A couple of percent IPC [Instructions Per Cycle] plus the increased Turbo to 4.5 and that's your lot. Maybe if you're lucky it will overclock to 4.9 - 5GHz. But frame rates in games... no miracles, not significantly higher than Skylake.

Thus, it may well be viable option for anyone looking to upgrade, to wait for Kaby Lake's release and then opt for Skylake, as 6700K prices may drop.

Running one of the i7-6700K at 4.6 with a rather low temp because the system works great with this configuration and not just for the overclocking thing.Dont really understand the hype in overclocking a system for no use at all more than a hot and high CPU Ghz if it doesnt work properly in a every day use.