cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

trying to fix specter/meltdown

acerzr2
Level 7
On my ASUS Maximus VIII Hero Alpha (BIOS 1402) I updated my ME driver to version 11.7.0.1040.
Then after rebooting, I ran the ME Update tool. After this I checked the vulnerability and it said my system was NOT vulnerable !!!
However, it also said "Intel capability licensing service client software is installed and healthy, but the re-key has failed." ??????
What does this mean exactly? Should I update my BIOS to the latest version?
2 REPLIES 2

mdzcpa
Level 12
The ME vulnerability and Spectre/Meltdown are two different issue. To mitigate Spectre/Meltdown you need the latest BIOS with the updated microcode (3703 I believe fore the Viii Hero). You also need to have loaded up the Windows security patch.

The ME vulnerability was mitigated last month via the ME driver and ME update tool. Published 11/22.

To correct both, load the latest bios 3703, update windows with the security patch KB4056892, run the ME update tool, and load the latest ME driver 11.7.0.1040.

mdzcpa
Level 12
The ME vulnerability and Spectre/Meltdown are two different issue. To mitigate Spectre/Meltdown you need the latest BIOS with the updated microcode (3703 I believe fore the Viii Hero). You also need to have loaded up the Windows security patch.

The ME vulnerability was mitigated last month via the ME driver and ME update tool. Published 11/22.

To correct both, load the latest bios 3703, update windows with the security patch KB4056892, run the ME update tool, and load the latest ME driver 11.7.0.1040.