cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Storage Concerns About M2 Slots and SATA Port / Drivers

MarcSant
Level 7
Hello All,

I'm planning to build a new PC, an AMD (X570) or Intel (Z490) build.

I have 2 M2 NVMe devices, one for Operating System and another one to process high intense disk workloads (Samsung EVO 970 Plus).

Then, I have another 6 SATA devices: 4 SATA hard disks, 1 BluRay device and another 1TB SSD SATA.

Some boards have some kind of limitation when you use 2 M2 devices populated as M2 SATA, some boards disable last 2 SATA ports, some disable or cut PCIe performance.

The Intel Board that I'm willing to buy is the ASUS Z490 ProCreator, and in the Manual it states: if M.2_1 slot are operating in SATA Mode, ports SATA6G_2 will be disabled.

So, It appears that in Z490 chipset, there are some real limitations regarding using more than 1 M2 device, if this device is operating in SATA mode.

Since I'm planning to use NVMe devices in M2 slots, this limitation will not occur, If I plan to go with Intel, right?

In AMD X570 (ASUS ROG Hero VIII) I haven't noticed this kind of limitation, only in some boards a few reduction in PCIe performance (from X16 to X8, or something like that).

Can someone help me on that?

Tks!
0 REPLIES 0