cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SPECTRE and MELTDOWN: Bug rocks Intel / ARM CPUs

segfaulted
Level 7
Kinda glad I bought AMD this round. For those who don't know there is a new bug affecting just about every SKU from Intel made in the last .. ohh.. _DECADE_ or so. It's actually worse then F00F or FDIV. Only mitigation appears to castrate the CPU upward of 30%! (depending on processes).

Can Asus confirm AMD and more importantly for me, this or any AMD motherboard are not affected? If so, will there be RMAs?

Fun fact, Intel's CEO dumped stock back in November before they started issuing gags on people from even talking about it.

*****ASUS advisory page(may get updated): https://www.asus.com/News/V5urzYAT6myCC1o2 ******
701 REPLIES 701

I've got a H97 Plus with a 4790k. I've been watching this thread for a while now and who knows if ASUS will provide an update for this board.

That said, mine is still under the original three year warranty period. It would seem to me if they are going to balk at providing an update, they should replace it with an equivalent MB that will be receiving an updated BIOS. Obviously, I would be on the hook for purchasing a new processor.

hexaae
Level 13
I can read on the ASUS official page https://www.asus.com/News/V5urzYAT6myCC1o2 :

We are diligently working to update ASUS motherboards that support 6th, 7th or 8th Generation Intel Core™ processors or Intel Core X-series processors for X99 and X299 platforms*

This means all gaming laptops like G751JY with i7 Crystal-WellMB (apparently 4th gen i7) won't see BIOS updates?
--
ASUS SCAR18 G834JY, i9-13980HX, 4090 16GB, 32GB 5600MHz RAM, 18" 16:10 2560x1600 240Hz G-Sync laptop screen, external UWQHD 3440x1440 Mi Monitor with Freesync, NVMe, 8BitDo Arcade Stick, EasySMX X10 controller, ROG Strix Carry mouse

hexaae wrote:
I can read on the ASUS official page https://www.asus.com/News/V5urzYAT6myCC1o2 :

We are diligently working to update ASUS motherboards that support 6th, 7th or 8th Generation Intel Core™ processors or Intel Core X-series processors for X99 and X299 platforms*

This means all gaming laptops like G751JY with i7 Crystal-WellMB (apparently 4th gen i7) won't see BIOS updates?

Maybe, maybe not. It just means they aren't working on it now. The advisory is subject to change so they may work on it in the future or they may consider it too old and not issue an update. You just have to wait and see.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

You have got to love this one. Directly from ASUS support:

"And also I just want you to know that if your motherboard is not listed on the list that are affected on the vulnerability issue it means that your H97-PLUS is not affected"

JJackson wrote:
You have got to love this one. Directly from ASUS support:

"And also I just want you to know that if your motherboard is not listed on the list that are affected on the vulnerability issue it means that your H97-PLUS is not affected"

That's BS all CPU's are affected and it is not depending on the board but the micro code!!!

xeromist wrote:
Maybe, maybe not. It just means they aren't working on it now. The advisory is subject to change so they may work on it in the future or they may consider it too old and not issue an update. You just have to wait and see.

As a consumer who purchased this very laptop from NewEgg under two years ago, if Asus does not patch this BIOS, I will move to another company..PERIOD. I've spent thousands of dollars over the last two decades on Asus product and for them to give "..maybe yes, maybe no... just wait" is one of the worst customer expectations you could give.

I expect AT LEAST two years of support, to include BIOS updates, if not longer, for any laptop that is affected by a crippling security flaw. Like my income, these are not disposable items that I throw away every two years. This is my first personal laptop, so after doing my research, I thought I bought the best one available, as it even has a GSYNC monitor built in. This is a ROG!!! I'd like you tell the people out there that financed their laptops for 24 months that they now own a $2000 paperweight.

You should at least provide us a "Yes" or "No" answer so we know we have to move to a new platform. If you are representing Asus, you need to provide a better answer, especially in the form of a Press/News release on Laptops, as all I see thus fare are Motherboards, Servers, and Workstations.

SirEbrum wrote:
You should at least provide us a "Yes" or "No" answer so we know we have to move to a new platform. If you are representing Asus, you need to provide a better answer, especially in the form of a Press/News release on Laptops, as all I see thus fare are Motherboards, Servers, and Workstations.

I'm not an ASUS employee. I'm just a member who was asked to help moderate spam many years ago. So I know what you know.

I'm explaining to hexaae that so far we haven't seen an explicit confirmation that nothing else will be patched. The way the advisory is worded and the disclaimer at the bottom means it only tells you what ASUS *is* doing and doesn't tell you what it *is not* doing. The previous Intel flaw has had several advisory changes with new products getting added. So unfortunately there's no way to know for sure.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Where can I find an updated bios form the 600€ Maximus Formula VII Z97 Mobo? The last one is the 3003 made Nov 2015.
Will this one be my last ASUS product?

SirEbrum wrote:
As a consumer who purchased this very laptop from NewEgg under two years ago, if Asus does not patch this BIOS, I will move to another company..PERIOD. I've spent thousands of dollars over the last two decades on Asus product and for them to give "..maybe yes, maybe no... just wait" is one of the worst customer expectations you could give.

Actually ASUS is not the problem here as well as any MB manufacture. The blame belongs squarely on Intel. Until Intel produces the micro code for MB manufactures so they can includes the micro code in their BIOS, its not their fault. So stop blaming them.

I understand this now encompasses basically every chip Intel has put out in the last ~7 years. I also understand your taking a risk of windows crashes and big hits to performance if you update your BIOS with the new code. Some recommend not to update and I am under that category. Even recommend turning off /pausing Windows updates.

There's some great information over at www.tweakhound.com

Just my two cents.

Conners wrote:
Actually ASUS is not the problem here as well as any MB manufacture. The blame belongs squarely on Intel. Until Intel produces the micro code for MB manufactures so they can includes the micro code in their BIOS, its not their fault. So stop blaming them.

I understand this now encompasses basically every chip Intel has put out in the last ~7 years. I also understand your taking a risk of windows crashes and big hits to performance if you update your BIOS with the new code. Some recommend not to update and I am under that category. Even recommend turning off /pausing Windows updates.

There's some great information over at www.tweakhound.com

Just my two cents.

That is not entirely true actually. Intel has made the microcode available late 2017 early 2018. The microcode is already there for the last 20 days. The holes are given and known and the microcode patching them the way they do (i.e. temporarily, with performance hits etc.) is one and only and already in circulation. Now is up to the mobo manufacturers to incorporate that microcode into bios updates or to the brave users to incorporate the microcode into bios versions of their own and then flash those.
Intel is not going to produce any more microcode for the basic issue. If something is to come from Intel is further newer microcode to adjust (if possible) the performance issues.