Site Threat?

tholly
Level 7
Microsoft Security Essentials block this forum's site stating >>

What's up?
15 REPLIES 15

X-ROG
Level 15
Let me check, thanks for letting me know.

Marshall -- Thanks for investigating.

I had no problems posting here using Firefox; however, MS Explorer put up that roadblock with no easy way around it. Did not even ask if I wanted to proceed and accept the risk. As recently as yesterday ... no problems at all.

Secunia PSI gives the old computer I am using a 100% score ... so fairly confident all applications are up-to-date.

X-ROG
Level 15
Please check your PM. We think someone has added it as a signature link.

X-ROG
Level 15
We may have a malicious new member posting bad links so we need to find the page you visited - the user - and remove them.

Resolving the threat is certainly highest priority.

Also, using this event as a teaching opportunity would be ideal. As I am sure more than myself know very little about rogue scripts in signatures and other vulnerbilities.

How is this event even classified? Is it a form of redirect or browser highjacking?

I am curious why Explorer blocked the site and not Firefox.

Perhaps a security expert can visit the reported site and explain what nefarious activities are being employeed.

I understand this is a gaming/hardware forum (the fun stuff!) and not a security forum ... but those two subjects are intermingled. For example, could the new build I am planning benefit from 32 Gig of RAM instead of 16 Gig? Could I then virtualize or sandbox (or whatever the correct method is called) my browser to make my computer less vulnerable? Does using some type of layer of computer isolation slow online gaming response time?

There is a whole world of online gaming I have not yet been able to enjoy because of my old, single core computer struggles plenty just watching a youtube video while also performing a virus scan or checking for new email ... but that will dramatically change very soon! On my build plans up to now, I have been tunnel visioned on finding the level of performance (bang-for-buck) that works best for me. Now I am wondering how much energy I should focus towards the security topic and if this plays any roll in making the best hardware selections. Beyond the simple guidelines of avoiding wares, carefully selecting what you download, and staying away from sites dedicated to cracks and sharing pass codes ... what steps are "top tier" gamers taking to avoid getting hacked or having their identity stolen?

tholly wrote:
Resolving the threat is certainly highest priority.

Also, using this event as a teaching opportunity would be ideal. As I am sure more than myself know very little about rogue scripts in signatures and other vulnerbilities.

How is this event even classified? Is it a form of redirect or browser highjacking?

I am curious why Explorer blocked the site and not Firefox.

I'm not a security expert tbh and not all AV's are built the same. Seems a common trend the 1H of this year to do this and we've been progressively pulling back on features in an attempt to stop it. When you're a big site people target you.

chrsplmr
Level 18
tholly .. trust that @Asus has the resources to bring the pain if chosen to do so.
This is nothing more than a nuisance and find joy in maybe on some down time making
things of this type sport. hahhaa .c.

Nate152
Hello guys, Kaspersky says it has detected a Trojan and has been denied. I can still get on the ROG site. It just started this today. I took a screenshot of it but for some odd reason I can't seem to upload it to show you. When I click upload it does nothing. I'll keep trying and if it lets me I will post it.

To MarshallR@ASUS: I sent you an email with the screenshot. I hope you got it and can read it.